[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#106 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:33 pm

Cruise Control wrote:also the hospital is a private/public partership,

do you want toll roads?
Well if a tunnel were to be put in between port and richmond road, then i cant see them not tolling that section, its an expensive project.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#107 Post by Cruise » Thu May 24, 2007 10:38 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:also the hospital is a private/public partership,

do you want toll roads?
Well if a tunnel were to be put in between port and richmond road, then i cant see them not tolling that section, its an expensive project.
but heres the $64,000 question,

Will this tunnel carry enough vehicles to attract private investment?

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#108 Post by bmw boy » Thu May 24, 2007 10:40 pm

well.... as you pointed out, you don't like all this secrecy regarding the budget and where our money is going to be spent.

so i guess you can't really, argue on the private/public issue.. and how much is going to come from either side, untill the budget is handed down... rann hasn't even confirmed or dennied these reports so who knows what is going to happen

toll roads... no i don't think that the south rd corridoor should be a toll zone. But what i am trying to say is i believe it will be more cost effective to do it all in one shot and will be less of a disruption as no one is actually using the rd whilst its going to be built the first time round.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#109 Post by Cruise » Thu May 24, 2007 10:50 pm

bmw boy wrote:well.... as you pointed out, you don't like all this secrecy regarding the budget and where our money is going to be spent.

so i guess you can't really, argue on the private/public issue.. and how much is going to come from either side, untill the budget is handed down... rann hasn't even confirmed or dennied these reports so who knows what is going to happen

toll roads... no i don't think that the south rd corridoor should be a toll zone. But what i am trying to say is i believe it will be more cost effective to do it all in one shot and will be less of a disruption as no one is actually using the rd whilst its going to be built the first time round.
point taken.
and a good one :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#110 Post by Cruise » Thu May 24, 2007 10:54 pm

bmw boy wrote: i guess you won't be needing your cruise control feature in your car, as you won't be able to use it due to banked up traffic
also,
good one lol

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#111 Post by bmw boy » Thu May 24, 2007 11:05 pm

hahaha.... ok so our little arguement is over then... sorry lol, i just dont want to see adelaide making mistakes thst will impact negatively in the future... thats obviosuly just my opinion on issue... but i'm no expert...

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#112 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:10 pm

Cruise Control wrote:

Well if u look at the fact that south road/sturt road handles over 60,000 cars per day and is over 8 lanes from what i can remember, compared to south road near mile end way which is 40,000 cars per day due to it being only 4 lanes.

So the efficiency of cars getting through a road will play a factor in its volume.

If south road were to be widened, grade separated, then id say id be 99% sure that it would have the extra volume to make it viable for investment. On top of that it would attract road users back onto south road instead of taking alternate routes to try and save time.

Now I know there will be stingy people who wont use it, but I know a lot will.

But then again if the government is willing to fund the whole tunnel then horray for us!!
Last edited by jimmy_2486 on Thu May 24, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#113 Post by bmw boy » Thu May 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Rann promised no tolls anyway, but i think if it did evnentually happen.... i woul'd only be in support of one , if it would expire after the construction money had been recovered.... sometimes, you just need moves like this for sumthing to happen....

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#114 Post by Cruise » Thu May 24, 2007 11:25 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:

Well if u look at the fact that south road/sturt road handles over 60,000 cars per day and is over 8 lanes from what i can remember, compared to south road near mile end way which is 40,000 cars per day due to it being only 4 lanes.

So the efficiency of cars getting through a road will play a factor in its volume.

If south road were to be widened, grade separated, then id say id be 99% sure that it would have the extra volume to make it viable for investment. On top of that it would attract road users back onto south road instead of taking alternate routes to try and save time.

Now I know there will be stingy people who wont use it, but I know a lot will.

But then again if the government is willing to fund the whole tunnel then horray for us!!
I have seen those figures on traffic volumes and i honestely didnt think it was enough to attract investment

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#115 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:32 pm

Yeah but would you sat those figures are low because of bottle necks on south road??

I mean if this tunnel were to happen, it would be the last thing to happen on south road to make it non-stop. So therefore traffic volumes will be slowly increasing while all the other underpasses/overpasses will be happening.

When south road is all grade separated except between port and richmond road, id say you will find alot more volume on south road with that figure dropping between port and richmond. And that will be the push that will cause something like that to go ahead id say.

Any thoughts?

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#116 Post by bdm » Fri May 25, 2007 12:02 am

Build a southern O-Bahn, and get people out of cars and into good PT.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#117 Post by rhino » Fri May 25, 2007 8:04 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:Well if u look at the fact that south road/sturt road handles over 60,000 cars per day and is over 8 lanes from what i can remember, compared to south road near mile end way which is 40,000 cars per day due to it being only 4 lanes.
Jimmy, this is not the only reason that the volume drops to 40,000 cars in the mid-section of South Road. South Road is the major traffic carrier to greater Adelaide from anywhere south of Sturt Road. As you head north, traffic branches off on to Ayliffes Road, not just for access to the city rather than using South Road, but also to access the eastern suburbs and the suburbs directly south of the city. Similarly, traffic uses Marion Road and Diagonal road to access the western suburbs (granted, some traffic still heads for the city via Marion/Anzac). All this traffic is not just avoiding South Road because of the 4-lane secion ahead, it is actually going to places that South Road doesn't go to.
cheers,
Rhino

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#118 Post by mooshie » Fri May 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Just for reference it was estimated that the Cross City tunnel in Sydney needs approx 80000 cars per day just to make the interenst repayments. I believe the tunnel cost just under $700 million.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#119 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:06 pm

Well I guess south road is used more for southern traffic than northern traffic. The North has main north road is its main road aswell.

Something needs to be done though, I mean this situation we have is only going to get worse. Statictics show that average drives home are increasing by a minute every year. And it makes me scared what will happen by the time we reach our goal population of 2 mill set by the government in 2050!!

Has anyone got any suggestions?

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#120 Post by shuza » Fri May 25, 2007 8:38 pm

given that it is 2007 now - and by 2050, the suggestions seems to be that traffic travel time will take an extra 43 minutes? I dont think so.
mabye an extra 20-25 minutes given the growth of the southern suburbs, and it is definitely likely that by 2050 the railway will have been extended to aldinga, which will prompt more people into PT. Noarlunga may even as well be a southern CBD, so people may even reduce their reliance on South Road in that instance.