[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Prince George
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#1036 Post by Prince George » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:13 am

Do we count Torrens Road, named either after Robert Torrens, the third Premier of SA, or his father Colonel Robert Torrens who chaired the commision that founded the state?

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1037 Post by Aidan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Prince George wrote:Do we count Torrens Road, named either after Robert Torrens, the third Premier of SA, or his father Colonel Robert Torrens who chaired the commision that founded the state?
Only if we also count Hanson Road.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1038 Post by AtD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Anyone who thinks few roads in Adelaide were named after people needs to look harder.

It's like when Shuz thought Kilburn and Kilkenny needed to be renamed to something more British...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#1039 Post by Shuz » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:03 pm

I merely suggested that because the names Kilburn and Kilkenny invoke - to me anyways - the thought to "kill", which doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture in mind for reason to live there. If I wanted to move, I'd like to move somewhere with a nice name.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1040 Post by rogue » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Can it be any more obvious...... Sir Donald Bradman Drive

Aidan

#1041 Post by Aidan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:16 pm

rogue wrote:Can it be any more obvious...... Sir Donald Bradman Drive
Yes, they named the wrong road after him because of Adelaide City Council stupidity. They should've renamed the stretch of King William Road past Adelaide Oval, but they objected on the grounds that he wasn't born in SA (as if King William was).

Most of our City streets are named after prominent Croweaters who weren't actually born here.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rhino

#1042 Post by rhino » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:00 am

Shuz wrote:I merely suggested that because the names Kilburn and Kilkenny invoke - to me anyways - the thought to "kill", which doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture in mind for reason to live there. If I wanted to move, I'd like to move somewhere with a nice name.
Perhaps we could re-name Kill Kenny "Southpark"? Same thing.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#1043 Post by rhino » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:17 am

rogue wrote:Can it be any more obvious...... Sir Donald Bradman Drive
James Congden Drive, James Melrose Road....

I actually don't like the naming of roads after people, using their full names. I would prefer Bradman Drive, Congden Drive, Melrose Road. And I would prefer even more for roads to be named after suburbs. For instance, I would like to see Mitchell St, Park St, and Wattle St all re-named Hyde Park Road, or Marlborough St, Marlborough Tce and Valetta Road all re-named Kidman Park Road. And why do we need 5 names for Tapleys Hill Road, Brighton Road, Ocean Boulevard, Lonsdale Road, and Dyson Road? Why aren't Marion Road, Flagstaff Road and Happy Valley Drive all called Marion Road? Why don't Walkleys Road, Sudholz Road, Darley Road, Newton Road, St Bernards Road and Penfold Road all have one name instead of 6?

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between an expressway and a freeway? In the case of the Southern Expressway it's quite obvious, but what makes the Northern Expressway not a freeway? It seems like Expressway was the buzzword at the time, and now it's been outdone by Superway. Next we'll have a Hyperway.
cheers,
Rhino

fasterthanlids
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1044 Post by fasterthanlids » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:29 am

Aidan wrote:But perhaps others would like to suggest roads that could be renamed
Any cul-de-sac in Adelaide could be renamed Hamilton-Smith Road. "A Road to Nowhere".

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#1045 Post by raulduke » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 am

i think expressways are supposed to be designed to suit heavy vehicle/freight traffic primarily, but its just a guess

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1046 Post by fabricator » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Aidan wrote:But perhaps others would like to suggest roads that could be renamed ...
I'd like to nominate Lobethal Road to be renamed to Conlon Drive, as it frequently changes direction, only passes through some one horse town, and takes too long to finish.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

rhino

#1047 Post by rhino » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:36 pm

fabricator wrote:I'd like to nominate Lobethal Road to be renamed to Conlon Drive, as it frequently changes direction, only passes through some one horse town, and takes too long to finish.
:lol: That's very clever, though unfair!
cheers,
Rhino

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1048 Post by drsmith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 am

MATS Expressway (it might be completed in time for the 100th anniversary of MATS).

Include the Northern Expressway and Northern Connector as part of it as well.

sacred_june
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1049 Post by sacred_june » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 am

Who/What is OG Road named after?

rhino

#1050 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:37 am

sacred_june wrote:Who/What is OG Road named after?
I believe it's named after Osmond Gilles, who was our first Colonial Treasurer. Later, he invested a large amount of capital here, and introduced Saxony and Merino sheep to South Australia. He was also involved with the construction of Trinity Church in the city, and paid off most of the construction costs. He also laid out the Town of Glen Osmond, and the town of Gilleston, which never really took off, and is across the river from Balhannah, I think. Gilles Street in the city is also named for him, and possibly Gilles Plains, but I'm not sure about that - it wasn't named until 1958.

Source: Manning's Place Names of South Australia (Geoffrey Manning, 1990)
cheers,
Rhino