[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
DM8
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#1051 Post by DM8 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:33 am

Makes me wonder why they didn't name it Osmond Gilles Rd, or if that's too long for some people, perhaps just Osmond Rd or Gilles Rd.

Am I correct in saying that this is the only case in Australia where a road is named as two initials?
fabricator wrote:I'd like to nominate Lobethal Road to be renamed to Conlon Drive, as it frequently changes direction, only passes through some one horse town, and takes too long to finish.
:applause: So true!
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1052 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 am

DM8 wrote:Makes me wonder why they didn't name it Osmond Gilles Rd, or if that's too long for some people, perhaps just Osmond Rd or Gilles Rd.

Am I correct in saying that this is the only case in Australia where a road is named as two initials?
fabricator wrote:I'd like to nominate Lobethal Road to be renamed to Conlon Drive, as it frequently changes direction, only passes through some one horse town, and takes too long to finish.
:applause: So true!
There's EK Avenue (a relatively main road) in Newcastle, and I think there's an initialled road in Melbourne, but I can't remember what it is.
cheers,
Rhino

Aidan

#1053 Post by Aidan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 am

sacred_june wrote:Who/What is OG Road named after?
South Australia's first bus.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#1054 Post by fkj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 am

DM8 wrote:Makes me wonder why they didn't name it Osmond Gilles Rd, or if that's too long for some people, perhaps just Osmond Rd or Gilles Rd.
If thats too long for people, why do we have Sir Donald Bradman Drive?
why can't it just be Bradman Drive, no road should have such a long name, unless we want to have all roads that are named after people written with their full name and title.

skyliner

#1055 Post by skyliner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 pm

recently I took a trip the full length of Sth Rd and found 5 sets of lights around Castle Plaza/Hills area and wondered about the effect they would have on the overall flow - esp with AnZac underpass and the northern expressway included. The road seems narrow and a certain place for bottlenecks and slower traffic in the future. Anyone know of any plans to addresss this situation?

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1056 Post by Ben » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:57 pm

skyliner wrote:recently I took a trip the full length of Sth Rd and found 5 sets of lights around Castle Plaza/Hills area and wondered about the effect they would have on the overall flow - esp with AnZac underpass and the northern expressway included. The road seems narrow and a certain place for bottlenecks and slower traffic in the future. Anyone know of any plans to addresss this situation?

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Being someone that travels this road everyday this is the area that causes me the most stress. It's like you move from one set of lights to the next. There are too many pedestrian crossings and lights all in the same area. Very frustrating. I belive they are realigning one of the roads which will reduce one set but i haven't heard anything about that in ages. It's part of the castle plaze redevelopment.

skyliner

#1057 Post by skyliner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Ben, I'm secretly hoping the castle plaza plans will partially address ths. Not good ATM. Very annoying.

The guy I was with on my trip down Sth Rd said that Darlington was bad as well with Sth Rd, the Expressway, the road to the coast ('Seacliff' rd?), the road coming down east of Sth road and Marion Rd all merging into Sth Rd in a short distance. Had to agree.

However, One thing I was very impressed with - Adelaide seems to address road problems earlier rather than later - not like Brisbane where it is very much later.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Punk Rooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1058 Post by Punk Rooster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:02 pm

what is the latest news with South Rd, between Torrens Rd & Grange Rd?
Has this been shelved indefinately?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1059 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:what is the latest news with South Rd, between Torrens Rd & Grange Rd?
For now, yes.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#1060 Post by Mpol » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 pm

What was going to happen between Torrens and Grange Rd?

Punk Rooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1061 Post by Punk Rooster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Norman wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:what is the latest news with South Rd, between Torrens Rd & Grange Rd?
For now, yes.
I see the commercial site (old Pizza Hutt) was sold- was this bought by private interests?
Also, the land/houses on the western side of South Rd- what is currently happening with that?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1062 Post by AG » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Mpol wrote:What was going to happen between Torrens and Grange Rd?
A tunnel under the Outer Harbor train line, and also Port and Grange Roads.

ChillyPhilly

#1063 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 pm

skyliner wrote:recently I took a trip the full length of Sth Rd and found 5 sets of lights around Castle Plaza/Hills area and wondered about the effect they would have on the overall flow - esp with AnZac underpass and the northern expressway included. The road seems narrow and a certain place for bottlenecks and slower traffic in the future. Anyone know of any plans to addresss this situation?

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
I find it ironic that this stretch of South Road is one of the worst - it's just in front of Mr Conlon's electorate office. =/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#1064 Post by raulduke » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:22 am

Punk Rooster wrote:
Norman wrote:
For now, yes.
I see the commercial site (old Pizza Hutt) was sold- was this bought by private interests?
Also, the land/houses on the western side of South Rd- what is currently happening with that?
although they have denied it, i would be surprised if they dont stick with the concept of an elevated road for most of the length of south road

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1065 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:03 am

raulduke wrote: although they have denied it, i would be surprised if they dont stick with the concept of an elevated road for most of the length of south road
Doubt it. Everywhere south of Regency road is pretty much residential and I doubt people in those areas would appreciate looking out their back windows to see a great, big elevated freeway.

I suspect the 'superway' only got Federal money due to it's potential as a freight link through a largely industrial area. Freeways are, in general, a poor investment choice for improving travel times for commuters because they induce more vehicle trips.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand