[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
iTouch
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrades | PRO: South Road Superway

#1096 Post by iTouch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Is it just me or can you guys see how everything's slowly coming together for a North-South freeway piece by piece?
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1097 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:50 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:Is it just me or can you guys see how everything's slowly coming together for a North-South freeway piece by piece?
I think those of us with a big picture view remarked something similar about two years ago.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#1098 Post by JamesXander » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:55 pm

I can understand why they are doing it, but it is very frustrating that they are going to solve a 'future' problem, but the fact remains if traffic is going to increase to the north of South Rd, won't that mean even more traffic on South rd, meaning further delays on the already mind numbingly slow parts?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1099 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:25 pm

JamesXander wrote:I can understand why they are doing it, but it is very frustrating that they are going to solve a 'future' problem, but the fact remains if traffic is going to increase to the north of South Rd, won't that mean even more traffic on South rd, meaning further delays on the already mind numbingly slow parts?
A little bit, but a lot of the increased traffic predictions are for commercial traffic that will be mostly outside of peak hours and also will be exiting South Road before ever reaching the Port Road area.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1100 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:58 pm

A few updates to this project.

Here's a video explaining the pile testing they have done in recent weeks:
http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/sou ... ting_video

Tenders have also been called for the service relocation work:
http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/images/s ... perway.pdf

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#1101 Post by RayRichards » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Top progress is happening with new diversion road running parrallel along the Islington freight yards between Grand Junction and Regency Road. Works still being done rebuilding the drain obviously for preparation of the new bitumen being laid. Bascially where the old sewage farm was. Check out Nearmap. I wouldve given a link. But my search location and date toolbars on the nearmap page is missing :?

I hope the horses that were on the building site at present get a parcel of land adjacent to the SunnyBrae Farm?? Take a visit there one time if your like farm machinery and excellent heritage buildings and the missus will like the roses!!

Ray.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#1102 Post by iTouch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:21 pm

could this be changed to U/C
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1103 Post by AG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:23 pm

It's not under construction yet. Pile testing is part of the design stage in the geotechnical field.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1104 Post by rev » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Preliminary work started today I believe in and around the Regency Road intersection, and will last till some time in January. 9am to 4pm daily.
They'll be moving thing's like over heard power lines underground and what not, in preparation for actual work on the superway.
Perhaps site works progressing or is that only applicable to building sites?

Work was supposed to start yesterday, haven't seen anything happening on site besides work on the drain near the brewery but that's just off Regency road and unrelated I think.

Grungle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1105 Post by Grungle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:23 am

I heard the Design and Construction contract has recently been awarded...?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1106 Post by muzzamo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 pm

From the advertiser today:
South Rd upgrade back on agenda

UPGRADING South Rd between the Superway and Gallipoli Underpass is back on the State Government’s agenda but funding and a construction timeframe are yet to be approved.

The Government will soon call for tenders to plan a multi-million dollar upgrade of about 9km of South Rd, between the superway in the north and the underpass at Anzac Highway.

The section includes some of the narrowest parts of South Rd and is lined with businesses and homes, presenting one of the biggest challenges in the quest to convert the key route into a 22km free-flowing north-south road transport corridor.

In April last year, the RAA unveiled its vision of a $2 billion, 6km tunnel from the underpass to north of the Outer Harbor rail line at Croydon.

At the time, Transport Minister Patrick Colon said a tunnel would be ‘‘incredibly expensive’’ and a ‘‘big ask’’ but did not rule it out.

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#1107 Post by Benski81 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:40 am

muzzamo wrote:From the advertiser today:
South Rd upgrade back on agenda

UPGRADING South Rd between the Superway and Gallipoli Underpass is back on the State Government’s agenda but funding and a construction timeframe are yet to be approved.

The Government will soon call for tenders to plan a multi-million dollar upgrade of about 9km of South Rd, between the superway in the north and the underpass at Anzac Highway.

The section includes some of the narrowest parts of South Rd and is lined with businesses and homes, presenting one of the biggest challenges in the quest to convert the key route into a 22km free-flowing north-south road transport corridor.

In April last year, the RAA unveiled its vision of a $2 billion, 6km tunnel from the underpass to north of the Outer Harbor rail line at Croydon.

At the time, Transport Minister Patrick Colon said a tunnel would be ‘‘incredibly expensive’’ and a ‘‘big ask’’ but did not rule it out.
Ok so stupid question: what would be more expensive to elevate the entire stretch and connect to the already built superway or to build a tunnel? Because of the total supeway 3Km is elevated and the forecast cost for the project is circa $900mil. So which would be more cost effective (assuming that either option achieves the same end efficiency)?

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1108 Post by Aidan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Benski81 wrote:Ok so stupid question: what would be more expensive to elevate the entire stretch [N of the Gallipoli Underpass] and connect to the already built superway or to build a tunnel? Because of the total supeway 3Km is elevated and the forecast cost for the project is circa $900mil. So which would be more cost effective (assuming that either option achieves the same end efficiency)?
On a purely financial measure, elevating it would probably be cheaper. But elevating major roads through residential areas would be politically unpopular with good reason - they're noisy, unsightly, and divide communities.

A better solution would be 4 overpasses, the tunnel / long underpass under the railway, Port Road and Grange Road including provision for traffic to go under the railway only, 3 other underpasses, and numerous bridges (probably about 10 plus a few footbridges).
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#1109 Post by muzzamo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Aidan wrote:A better solution would be 4 overpasses, the tunnel / long underpass under the railway, Port Road and Grange Road including provision for traffic to go under the railway only, 3 other underpasses, and numerous bridges (probably about 10 plus a few footbridges).
But this would mean that the road would be grade separated at the intersections only, ie entrance to premises would be at grade.

From a bean counters perspective an elevated roadway would only be the cheaper option when you consider the cost to the government. The cost to society in the form of property value destruction etc really needs to be counted too. That said, I think the people who live along the road should toughen up.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#1110 Post by Isiskii » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Government spin at its best. South Road will not be a 'free-flowing' expressway in its literal meaning.

If, and that's a very big if, the Government intends to follow through with its plans to 'transform' South Road, it will only be free-flowing through major intersections, as property and side street access is still permissable - even seen at the Gallipoli intersection, tramline overpass and also the proposed Superway.