[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#556 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Some pics of the beams being installed in the bridge deck yesterday...

http://www.xaragmata.thebbs.org/album/c ... index.html

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#557 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:28 pm

What time were you there? I had to go to work and was only there between 11.35 and 11.55.

Xaragmata

#558 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:57 pm

I was there from about 1 pm to 2:30 pm, & saw 2 beams delivered & placed in position. Then I went to city
to look at the sites in Gouger & KW streets. They are still sticking to the Stage 2 timetable, but once the deck
is complete & Anzac Hwy in its final alignment they shouldn't have any trouble with the rest of the underpass.

Omicron

#559 Post by Omicron » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:52 pm

For such a vast piece of land, I still can't quite get my head around just how narrow the underpass section appears in person.

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#560 Post by TooFar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:17 am

Cruise wrote:Anyway, Freeways do not cause sprawl, poor planning does.
That's what I said!

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#561 Post by TooFar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:30 am

Aidan wrote: I think you've missed the point somewhat: this is an investigation project. I don't expect every component of it to be worth building, but many are worth investigating to see if they are likely to be worth building.

As for the monorail, it's not as crazy as you might think. Finding a parking space at Marion is difficult, but it's often worse at Flinders, despite the need for an expensive permit to park there. Buses alone are unlikely to cause a modal shift, and because Flinders Uni is on a steep hill, it would be difficult for conventional rail or light rail to serve it effectively. And Japanese experience with monorails has shown they can be practical and cost effective.
It may be an investigation project, but you should keep it within the realms of reality. It is Adelaide we are talking about, not some high density Japanese city. Instead of introducing another mode of public transport, you should be looking on how we can consolidate the modes the city already has. Introducing a fifth type is ridiculous. A city the size and wealth of Adelaide cannot finance and maintain the four types that there already is running around. It would make more sense to continue the Tonsley train line up to Flinders, if the hill is too steep, dig a tunnel and create an underground station.

Anyway we are getting off track from this thread.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#562 Post by Cruise » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:34 pm

TooFar wrote:
Cruise wrote:Anyway, Freeways do not cause sprawl, poor planning does.
That's what I said!
I thought you were on the same page as me.

Although TooFar, if a post takes up more than 2 inches of my screen, i tend not to read it :oops:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#563 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Planning study for non-stop South Road corridor
September 27, 2008

Joint Media Release with the Hon Anthony Albanese MP, Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government

Tenders have been called for a Planning Study for the South Road Upgrade, Grand Junction Road to Port River Expressway.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister, Anthony Albanese, said upgrading of the existing South Road, between Grand Junction Road and the Port River Expressway was a significant transport initiative that will meet the arterial road network demands into the future for freight and passenger vehicles.

“The upgrade will create a non-stop two kilometre long corridor utilising grade separation at South Terrace, the Wingfield railway line, Cormack Road and Grand Junction Road. It will run along the existing alignment of South Road,” Mr Albanese said.

“The Government’s funding of this planning study is part of the $12.6 million committed in the May 2008 Federal Budget for planning work on South Road.”

South Australian Minister for Transport, Patrick Conlon, said South Road was one of the most important components of the road transport system in metropolitan Adelaide.

“This link provides connections to the major intermodal transport hubs of Adelaide Airport, Port Adelaide, Outer Harbor and the Islington Rail Terminal, as well as providing access to the bulk of Adelaide’s industry activity in the north west section,” Mr Conlon said.

“An efficient non stop north-south corridor is crucial for freight and the economy.”

“The upgrade of this section of South Road will also improve road safety by use of grade separation and will deliver environmental benefits by reducing stop-start travel.”

A Request for Tender was published on 23 September 2008 with a further request to be published this weekend. They include provision of planning, environmental impact assessment, community involvement and concept design services.

The Australian Government will provide $500 million in funding between now and 2014 to construct South Road flyovers at the major bottlenecks of:
* Grand Junction Road;
* Cormack Road and the Wingfield railway line; and
* Sturt Road.

The Australian Government commitment includes $70 million to plan for a traffic light-free road all the way from the Southern Expressway to the Port River Expressway.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#564 Post by muzzamo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:14 pm

I'm suprised we haven't heard more about the above media release. Is this the first time we have confirmed what the feds will be paying for?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#565 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Interesting that Planning SA out-sources its planning.

When I used to commute from Salisbury to Bedford daily, the section between the Expressway and Grand Junction Road always used to be slow, simply because I always managed to time it just as a freighter comes through. The queues along Salisbury Highway would stretch 2km (if the signs marking the exit are to be believed) some mornings. The quantity of trucks that use the route is huge.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#566 Post by drwaddles » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm

AtD wrote:Interesting that Planning SA out-sources its planning.
It's extremely rare for any planning authority to do this sort of planning study in-house.

Government planners spend all their time writing briefs and background documents, assessing the tenders and then fixing the consultants' mistakes :lol:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#567 Post by Shuz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Is this the section of South Road that's already a bit 'freewayish'?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#568 Post by Cruise » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Surely Main South Road needs attention first?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#569 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:36 pm

Cruise wrote:Surely Main South Road needs attention first?
This section would carry more freight.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#570 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:42 pm

This weekend the two bridge decks will be joined together. Apparently the concrete pour on the northern deck has also been completed already.