[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#46 Post by AG » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:33 pm

lol, as if it weren't obvious enough. The way the posts are written are exactly the same.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#47 Post by AG » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:10 pm

So this is how space will be made during construction of the underpasses:

Homes, businesses to go for road underpass

04apr06
ALMOST 80 South Rd home and business owners were last night told they will be forced from their properties to make way for the Anzac Highway underpass.

Transport Department staff doorknocked residents to tell them of the State Government's plans to compulsorily acquire properties.

They will be demolished so that the road can be widened to allow for new approaches and access roads to the intersection.

Among the 77 affected properties - on the western side of South Rd from Forest St, Glandore, to Tennyson St, Kurralta Park - are a childcare centre, a doctor's surgery and a BP service station, as well as private homes.

The acquisitions will cost at least $20 million of the $65 million budget for the underpass, to be constructed under Anzac Highway over the next three years.

A further $122 million has been set aside to construct a 600m tunnel at the South Rd intersections with Grange and Port roads, and $47 million has been budgeted for widening South Rd to accommodate the Port Rd tunnel.

The State Government says it will also stand by its election promise to build an underpass at the South Rd/Sturt Rd intersection near Flinders University at an estimated cost of $140 million. More than 100 properties will be compulsorily acquired by the State Government to complete the Port Rd tunnel and Anzac Highway underpass. It is expected that all affected property owners will be advised of the land acquisition within the next three months.

Under the Land Acquisition Act, affected residents will be paid full market value and fair compensation for their properties. The median house price for Kurralta Park and Glandore last year was $320,000 and $347,500 respectively.

But business owner Horst Strobl is unsure the money will adequately compensate him.

Mr Strobl, who has had to abandon plans to refurbish the health spa business he started 35 years ago, has spent "hundreds of thousands" installing a pool, spas and steam rooms.

"We were here for 35 years and I have nowhere to go to and now we get turfed out," he said last night. "I'm not angry. I can't be because I have not got a response from (the Government) yet." Mr Strobl is waiting for the department to explain what assistance they will provide to relocate his business.

Acting Transport Minister Jay Weatherill said engineers had chosen the alignment to reduce the social, environmental and financial impact of the project.

"The alignment that the experts have produced is the correct decision. Fewer homeowners will be affected and there will be less impact on businesses," he said.

Mr Weatherill said the department and Transport Minister Patrick Conlon's office would work closely with the community on several key issues.

"This decision by the experts necessitates the acquisition of the Kurralta Park Childcare Centre and the Kurralta Park Surgery, so the department is working closely with both to find alternative locations for these important community service providers," he said.

Major construction work on the underpass is expected to begin in early 2008. Relocation of services will start in 2007.

supernova
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#48 Post by supernova » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:58 pm

exactly how wide will the road be at the underpass? what will be the arrangemnt? eg 2 lanes each way under and 2 lanes on/off ramp?

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#49 Post by bdm » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:11 pm

I think its two lanes each way under but it should be three to allow for the future (plus three would be helpful anywho).

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#50 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:16 pm

Uh there are renders on the first page of this thread. The Anzac Hwy underpass will be 3 lanes each way, the Port Road underpass 2 lanes each way.

southsider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#51 Post by southsider » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:15 am

I for one cant wait for the South Road upgrades. South Road is shocking and something definately needed to be done. I dont really care who gets forced from their homes to make this happen. I have no doubt they will be compensated accordingly.

Happy to see it is going underground. I have been to many cities around the world and seen the elevated freeways. Looks really untidy.

It is really good to see Adelaide progressing. Im excited!

tybalt
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] South Rd/Anzac Hwy Underpass

#52 Post by tybalt » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:06 pm

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#53 Post by Howie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Thanks for the headsup Tybalt.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#54 Post by rogue » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:00 am

Judging by the drawings submitted (and without reading the literature), if you are heading south along South Road, we will go through a swanky new underpass then be forced to stop at the tram line crossing 200m (or so) south of that intersection.

If the proposed increase in public transport patronage and increase in service frequency eventuate, the tram crossing boom gates could be permanently down to let the Bombardiers through and bring South Road to a standstill during peak hour (again!)…

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#55 Post by stelaras » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:15 pm

Have the full details of the Anzac Hghway underpass been released??? my folks live on the tram line and was wondering what the impact would be for them?
Im wondering what the purpose of the underpass would be if it terminated on or near the tram line??? would it not be wise to continue the underpass under the tramline and terminate it on or near the cross road bridge?? or else anything coming in from the south will almost certainly be held up by the boomgates before they enter. Similarly, anything coming from the north would go into the underpass come out and be banked up at the tram line....

Methinks some more thought needs to go into that area before work begins!!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#56 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:39 pm

If the Salisbury Hwy underpass is anything to go by, they'll probably want to put speed cameras in it and ching-ching-ching cash in! :wink:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#57 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:45 pm

stelaras wrote:would it not be wise to continue the underpass under the tramline and terminate it on or near the cross road bridge??
I reacon TransAdelaide and the state government will build a overpass or a underpass for the tramline

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#58 Post by Howie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:47 am

Underpass won't affect traffic

ANNA VLACH, TRANSPORT WRITER

October 18, 2006 12:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

SOUTH Rd will remain open to traffic while the Anzac Highway underpass is built.
Final plans released yesterday show the underpass will be to the west of the existing South Rd.

Moving the underpass west meant 81 properties would have to be acquired rather than the 77 originally announced in April, Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said.

"This is the least impact on the community possible," he said.

The construction would cost $64.7 million, contributing to a total project cost still estimated to be more than $100 million, he said. If it was completed for less the contractors would receive a percentage of the money saved as a bonus, he said.

Mr Conlon would not reveal how much would be spent on the compulsory acquisitions, saying to do so would be a compromise of taxpayers' money because negotiations were not finalised.

The underpass is expected to be completed by mid 2009.

An open day will be held at St Joseph's Church, 546-554 South Rd, on Sunday 11.30am-4.30pm.

A second open day will be held at Castle Plaza on Thursday October 26, 3-8pm.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#59 Post by AtD » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:44 am

I reckon they could build this using slave child labour from Ethiopia and still it would have overwhelming public support.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#60 Post by rhino » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:46 am

I can't understand how building the underpass to the west of the existing road is going to cause less disruption in the long term. Underpass in the middle with slip lanes on either side would seem to be the least interuptive to traffic flow, IMO.
cheers,
Rhino