[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #U/C: Southern Expressway duplication | $445m | 22km

#361 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 pm

They commenced blasting of the rockface near Darlington today.

I was sitting just off Flagstaff Road to watch it. It wasnt quite as spectacular as I thought it would have been. Still interesting though!

The think that they'll be blasting on and off for the next 9 months or so. The Expressway and Main South Road will be closed for short periods of time while they carry it out.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

lamboni
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#362 Post by lamboni » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:23 am

Without wanting to sound naive, but why do they need to close south road for the blasting? Surely debris wouldn't make it's way to south road from the expressway. That's if I am thinking of the correct location. I'm assuming it's the south road hill as you past the Victoria hotel, yes?

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#363 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:48 pm

lamboni wrote:Without wanting to sound naive, but why do they need to close south road for the blasting? Surely debris wouldn't make it's way to south road from the expressway. That's if I am thinking of the correct location. I'm assuming it's the south road hill as you past the Victoria hotel, yes?
South Rd was closed between Blacks Rd and Flagstaff Hill/Marion Rds. The main reason behind this was to allow Engineers to assess the Cuttings on South Rd after the blast.
When the original Expressway was blasted through the Darlington Escarpment, Some house's on top of the hill between South Rd and Flagstaff Hill Rd reported cracking due to blast's. Some rather large rocks were also dislodged on South Rd.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#364 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:05 pm

That explains that then. :lol:

Last night I was at Marion and there was a group of guys excitedly talking about how South Road was all blocked off because of a guy with a gun. Guess they saw it blocked off, heard a bang and reached their own conclusion!

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#365 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 pm

South Road was blocked off last night was well!

A man locked himself in a doctors car at Beford Park and began damaging it. When the police tried to arrest him he produced a gun and threatened self harm.

He was arrested..

So the people you overheard weren't talking about the expressway blasting.. :lol:
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#366 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Nort wrote:That explains that then. :lol:

Last night I was at Marion and there was a group of guys excitedly talking about how South Road was all blocked off because of a guy with a gun. Guess they saw it blocked off, heard a bang and reached their own conclusion!
No it was an actual event aswell.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6423823836

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#367 Post by mutt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:02 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote: So the people you overheard weren't talking about the expressway blasting.. :lol:
hmm, maybe this is what has been waking my up when i'm trying to sleep in earlier this week :sly:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#368 Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Heard the Southern Expressway will be closed at times later this week (thu/fri/sat) due to blasting for the Seacombe Road Bridge works.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#369 Post by 85trainfan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Wayno wrote:Heard the Southern Expressway will be closed at times later this week (thu/fri/sat) due to blasting for the Seacombe Road Bridge works.
Closure from 9.30am to 3.30pm (Non peak times) Thursday & Friday (Variable message boards showing this message yesterday arvo). More Blasting, and more works to the Seacombe Rd Bridge.
The Expressway was supposed to be closed last weekend to allow the workers access to the underside of the Seacombe Rd bridge, But looking at the Bridge yesterday, it didn't seem like much had changed.
Landers rd, under the Expressway is now closed too, with the preferred detour route up and along Majors Rd, I'm assuming marion council didn't want lots of traffic through Sheidow Park otherwise, Young St would have been a better option
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#370 Post by Archer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm

85trainfan wrote: The Expressway was supposed to be closed last weekend to allow the workers access to the underside of the Seacombe Rd bridge, But looking at the Bridge yesterday, it didn't seem like much had changed.
The only obvious thing I could see that had changed was that the Temporary supports for the Seacombe Road Bridge had been placed underneath, although at that point none had been positioned correctly or been set up to bare any weight, mostly just leaning on the wall. I'm not sure a closure of the Expressway would have been required just for this, certainly not the full weekend. There must have been other things happening somewhere along the route as well.

I did note that all of the temporary supports for the Seacombe Road bridge had been set up properly and placed in load baring positions this morning, so demolition of the bridge support I think is on the cards tomorrow and Friday, during those off peak closures.

Will be interesting to see.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#371 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Archer wrote: I'm not sure a closure of the Expressway would have been required just for this, certainly not the full weekend. There must have been other things happening somewhere along the route as well.
There were a heap of trucks travelling along South Road over the weekend loaded with concrete Clipsal barriers. I can only assume that these were being taken to the Expressway to add to those already placed.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#372 Post by neoballmon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote: There were a heap of trucks travelling along South Road over the weekend loaded with concrete Clipsal barriers. I can only assume that these were being taken to the Expressway to add to those already placed.
Yes, there are more barriers just south of Beach Road, and they've further realigned the road to the west completely taking up the 'Emergency Stopping Lane' at the Perry Path overpass (I think..it's the one to the south of Beach Road anyway.)

They've also got cranes just by the Marion Road exit. Does anyone know if these are doing anything of significance?
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#373 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:14 pm

neoballmon wrote: They've also got cranes just by the Marion Road exit. Does anyone know if these are doing anything of significance?
As part of the Expressway duplication, and the New Marion Rd entry/Exit point. The water main that runs to the large tank on the corner of Marion & South Rds, needs to be shifted. (It was also moved for the Seacombe Rd bridge extension to be built) Two cranes were onsite today lifting sections of pipes (only 1 crane working thou).
Would also love to have a chat with the Bureaucrat that scheduled road works on Main Sth Rd/Bains Rd corner for today. Expressway closed, extra traffic on Sth Rd ,I know lets close 1 lane and and cause a bottleneck right back to Junkfood Corner at Reynella :wallbash: :wallbash:

Is there something with this state and scheduling of roadworks? How can we constantly get it so wrong :wallbash:

On a side note, anyone else seen the way some of those big Cat dump trucks move? A friend commented on them getting "airborne" on certain sections of the Haul Rd. :lol:
Regards Jarrod

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#375 Post by neoballmon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:48 pm

85trainfan wrote:As part of the Expressway duplication, and the New Marion Rd entry/Exit point. The water main that runs to the large tank on the corner of Marion & South Rds, needs to be shifted. (It was also moved for the Seacombe Rd bridge extension to be built) Two cranes were onsite today lifting sections of pipes (only 1 crane working thou).
Ah ok, thanks for that :)
Would also love to have a chat with the Bureaucrat that scheduled road works on Main Sth Rd/Bains Rd corner for today. Expressway closed, extra traffic on Sth Rd ,I know lets close 1 lane and and cause a bottleneck right back to Junkfood Corner at Reynella :wallbash: :wallbash:
They do roadworks at this intersection way too often. Is very surprising though that they didn't wait until Monday when the expressway's open... What can you expect though. Several different companies doing the state's roadworks and the DPTI & Local councils don't communicate to these companies when/where/why other companies are doing said road works... It's disgraceful.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!