[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

#451 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

The Western end beams of the new Reynella Entry bridge are now in place. These were sitting onsite just south of the bridge location for the last 2 weeks. The middle spans over the Expressway lanes are due to arrive in the next couple of weeks.
The retaining walls for the Sherriff's Road bridge are nearly complete. The southern wall even extends around a retention basin. A couple of times last week SAPOL were in the area and pulling cars over for speeding through the worksite and disobeying traffic signals.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#452 Post by mooshie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Lol, I drove down there last week for the first time in a while and just about everyone was doing 100 in the 80 zones and pretty much the same in the 60 zones too. Went along the whole way just thinking what a lone police car would do...

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#453 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 pm

mooshie wrote:Lol, I drove down there last week for the first time in a while and just about everyone was doing 100 in the 80 zones and pretty much the same in the 60 zones too. Went along the whole way just thinking what a lone police car would do...
I'm usually that guy. Never any cops though :cry:

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#454 Post by spiller » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:00 pm

When is this on track for completion?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#455 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Mid-2014

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#456 Post by neoballmon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 am

mooshie wrote:Lol, I drove down there last week for the first time in a while and just about everyone was doing 100 in the 80 zones and pretty much the same in the 60 zones too. Went along the whole way just thinking what a lone police car would do...
With respect to the construction team, almost the entire median wall has been built from after the Majors Road bridge, almost to the bottom of the escarpment. They could re-align the lanes to their original position and make it 80 again. As this was 80 (downhill) previously, no one should speed down here if this change is made.
Most other 60 zones are still relevant though. Except maybe the Field River Bridge..

But the new carriageway is making a lot of progress, almost all earth works are done along the distance of the expressway, and about half of the median wall installed.

Still no work commenced on the bridges of Honeypot Road, Sugarbush Path, and that service road south of Majors Road (Glenhelen?), with only about 9 months to the Mid14 deadline..
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#457 Post by 85trainfan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:21 am

neoballmon wrote:.
Still no work commenced on the bridges of Honeypot Road, Sugarbush Path, and that service road south of Majors Road (Glenhelen?), with only about 9 months to the Mid14 deadline..
Honeypot Rd, is scheduled to start after Beach Rd is completely finished. This is due to Beach Rd being the only nearest alternative Expressway crossing.
Sugarbush Path almost looks to be wide enough to accommodate 4 lanes, but i could be wrong here.
The Glenthorne path (the road bridge between majors Rd and landers Rd) Is to be demolished and not extended.(It was only built at the time,as the Luberals were considering releasing the old Glenthorne farm site for Housing) It Remains in place at preset so that the MFS/SAAS can use it it gain access to the Eastern side of the expressway in an emergency while the Majors Rd bridge is closed.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#458 Post by neoballmon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:27 pm

85trainfan wrote:
Honeypot Rd, is scheduled to start after Beach Rd is completely finished. This is due to Beach Rd being the only nearest alternative Expressway crossing.
Sugarbush Path almost looks to be wide enough to accommodate 4 lanes, but i could be wrong here.
The Glenthorne path (the road bridge between majors Rd and landers Rd) Is to be demolished and not extended.(It was only built at the time,as the Luberals were considering releasing the old Glenthorne farm site for Housing) It Remains in place at preset so that the MFS/SAAS can use it it gain access to the Eastern side of the expressway in an emergency while the Majors Rd bridge is closed.

Ah thank you Jarrod.
I wouldn't have thought Sugarbush was wide enough, but I haven't looked at it with that in mind so you might be right.

That's interesting about Glenthorne! So the Libs could pre-plan this, when a road could have alternately just come from Majors or Lander Roads to the site, but they didn't think to make any bridges wide enough for a duplicated expressway... and now they're back in power. :wallbash:
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Waewick

#459 Post by Waewick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 pm

neoballmon wrote:
85trainfan wrote:

Ah thank you Jarrod.
I wouldn't have thought Sugarbush was wide enough, but I haven't looked at it with that in mind so you might be right.

That's interesting about Glenthorne! So the Libs could pre-plan this, when a road could have alternately just come from Majors or Lander Roads to the site, but they didn't think to make any bridges wide enough for a duplicated expressway... and now they're back in power. :wallbash:
I think you've confused Federal and state there...

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#460 Post by 85trainfan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:36 pm

The centre spans over the expressway at the Reynella entry ramp were lifted into place today, looked like all spans were in place by 5pm. Spans were coming onto the expressway via the current Reynella entry/exit.
I also noticed last week at the Beach Rd bridge, the new East bound lanes on Beach Rd were in use, albeit one lane each way in this section.

Neoballmon, it was the State Liberal party that constructed the first part of the Expressway.
Regards Jarrod

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#461 Post by Thunderstruck » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 am

Norman wrote:Mid-2014
Judging by the amount of work they still have to do, they will need a very powerful magic wand to get it all done by then. I go up and down it everyday and they have barely scratched it since June. Been doing more bridge work than anything.

Am thinking more like November and December 2014 for completion.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#462 Post by spiller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Thunderstruck wrote:
Judging by the amount of work they still have to do, they will need a very powerful magic wand to get it all done by then. I go up and down it everyday and they have barely scratched it since June. Been doing more bridge work than anything.

last time I went past it seemed like they had cleared all of the earth to run the new road and that all they needed to do was lay bitumen. There are also the on/off ramps etc obviously but I think they'll still get it in on time. We're still 9 months away from mid-2014.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#463 Post by Archer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:23 pm

spiller wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:

last time I went past it seemed like they had cleared all of the earth to run the new road and that all they needed to do was lay bitumen. There are also the on/off ramps etc obviously but I think they'll still get it in on time. We're still 9 months away from mid-2014.
Well, I drive the Expressway almost every day, here's what I see as still needing completion:

Bridges:
Beach Road (all beams are in place but road surface needs laying + on and off ramps on both sides and traffic management along beach road)
Honeypot Road (Won't be started until Beach road is complete)
Flaxmill Road (Under way with existing bridge supported, but a lot of work to do)
Sherriff's Road (Started, but again, a lot of work to do from all sides including on and off ramps and building up the correct road levels)
Major's Road (Started with Bridge independently supported and I think construction on the Western Support started)
Marion Road (Started, but with a lot of work to do, not sure of exact progress)
There's a bridge over a creek between Moore Road and Young St that is yet to be completed (End Supports in place but no beams, can't see if other supports are underway)
Christie Creek Bridge - Unknown status as this can't been see from the existing expressway.
Panatalinga Road Fly Over, still under construction with the Western Beams still needing to be positioned and the on ramp from South Road Built up and constructed.

Earth Works:
Between Flaxmill road and O'sullivan's beach road still needs to be cleared and leveled
There is a section of Rock Escapement between Moore Road and Young Street that still needs breaking up, clearing and leveling.
A section from Young Street up to Panatalinga road (up the hill) still needs to be built to the right levels

There are also still large sections where the Dividing barriers have not been put in place and obviously most of the road surface still needing to be laid. The only sections done to date being south road to Honeypot road, a smaller section between honeypot Road and Beach Road and a section between Beach road and Elizabeth road.

I agree with Thunderstruck, even if they can accelerate the pace of works over summer, I think it'll be a real stretch for it to be ready to open by Mid 2014.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#464 Post by Archer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Wow, Just received notification that Honeypot Road will be closed for Bridge works from the 26th of October until March 2014.

I'm surprised at this as Beach road is going to become a massive bottleneck given it's current state and capacity. I'm very glad that I'm no longer living in that area, it will be a nightmare until additional lanes through beach road are opened.

Xaragmata

#465 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:17 am

(From email)

Subject: Southern Expressway Duplication Project Community Open Day

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure together with construction contractor, Baulderstone Abigroup Joint Venture, is hosting a
community open day for the Southern Expressway Duplication project on Sunday 27 October 2013.

The event will be held at the project site office at 3 Majors Road, O'Halloran Hill (enter Majors Road from the Western end).

The community is invited to attend anytime between 11am and 3pm to:

* view detailed displays of the design including the road alignment, interchanges, landscaping, noise walls, urban design and more

* learn more about construction progress, particularly the earthworks and bridge works

* meet the project team and have your questions answered

* participate in community landscaping activities by being involved in planting new plants along the expressway corridor

* enjoy a sausage sizzle with face painters and other family activities.

Get up close and 'behind the scenes' to view construction works, take a tour of the construction site, participate in 'community planting', and support local
businesses.

The $407.5 million duplication of the Southern Expressway is a key part of the South Australian Government's commitment to developing a non-stop
north-south corridor.

For more information visit
http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/southern_expr ... uplication or call the project team on 1300 626 097.