[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #PRO: Southern Expressway duplication | $445m | 22km

#316 Post by AG » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Jim Boukas, your induced demand related posts are happily occupying pages 17 and 18 of this thread. And I can testify to Will's statement that none of your posts have been touched.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#317 Post by mattblack » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:01 pm

I wouldn't be holding my breath for a deserved apology moderators.

Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#318 Post by Jim Boukas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:44 pm

mattblack wrote:I wouldn't be holding my breath for a deserved apology moderators.
Attachments
sorry.jpg
sorry.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 3956 times

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#319 Post by mattblack » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:59 am

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#320 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Closed next weekend for placement of concrete barriers

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6246894933

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#321 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 pm

muzzamo wrote:Closed next weekend for placement of concrete barriers

next sunday being Jan 22, or Jan 29. Or is Jan 22 this sunday? sigh
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#322 Post by Archer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Wayno wrote:
muzzamo wrote:Closed next weekend for placement of concrete barriers

next sunday being Jan 22, or Jan 29. Or is Jan 22 this sunday? sigh
Just to Clear up any confusion:

http://webapps.transportsa.com.au/news/ ... 7&zoneid=1
DTPI wrote: Motorists are advised the Southern Expressway will be closed all day this Sunday, 22 January, and outside the morning and evening peaks on Monday, 23 January and Tuesday, 24 January to safely install concrete barriers ahead of the road’s duplication.

The Southern Expressway will be closed during the following hours:

Sunday, 22 January – 8.00 am until 5.00 pm
Monday, 23 January – 9.30 am until 3.30 pm
Tuesday, 24 January – 9.30 am until 3.30 pm

The barriers will ensure construction works are separated from traffic for the safety of both workers and road users.

This required closure will not impact on Tour Down Under events.
These works form part of the $407.5 million duplication of the Southern Expressway.

When complete in mid 2014, this project will deliver an 18.5 kilometre multi-lane, two-way expressway between Bedford Park and Old Noarlunga, forming a key part of realising the vision to create a free-flow north-south corridor between Gawler and Old Noarlunga.

DPTI thanks motorists for their patience during these works.

For more information visit http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/southern_expr ... uplication.
It's about time we started to see something happening with this.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#323 Post by adam73837 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 am

mattblack wrote:Anyway on to more important things,

Here is the final design including cross sections and alignments. Construction due to start this month. YAY!

http://210.247.132.180/alt-host/assets/ ... n_maps.pdf
People, try and forgive me for being cynical, if not, you're welcome to release the hounds; but why is it that when looking at the proposal for the Darlington Intersection, I feel that it will become another example of leaving future generations with something to busy themselves because we didn't do it right in the first place?

I recall a number of people saying that the problem with freeways is that at some stage, people need to get off of them, and the resulting queues on the off-ramps become so long that they block some of the formerly free-flowing traffic on the freeway.
Hence why would we want to end this freeway at an intersection, thereby stopping ALL the traffic in a frighteningly similar way to stale food creating a blockage in the lower rectum leading to constipation.

Once the current study for Anzac Highway-Regency Park has been completed and its recommendations implemented, have one lonely, inconvenient bottleneck at Darlington; which could've been avoided had we carried out the recommendations from the DTS. I realise money is an important factor here, but haven't the mistakes of the past taught us any lessons?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#324 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:22 am

adam73837 wrote: Once the current study for Anzac Highway-Regency Park has been completed and its recommendations implemented, have one lonely, inconvenient bottleneck at Darlington; which could've been avoided had we carried out the recommendations from the DTS. I realise money is an important factor here, but haven't the mistakes of the past taught us any lessons?
Indeed money is important. Although the costings were never released, implementing the DTS would cost in the order of 1 billion. The expressway duplication is actually an order of magnitude smaller than that. But, more significantly, the DTS can not be implemented without the expressway being duplicated. In terms of learning from the past, it would be a mistake to have a half assed attempt at the darlington intersection that will only cost even more to do properly. They are better to keep it simple using traffic lights and fix it up later when the money and/or political will for tolls finally comes along.

An interesting take I have on all this is that south road (by my estimates) would cost about 10 billion to fix from end to end. This is on the order of $10,000 for every man, women and child in Adelaide. So you could probably double that cost for every driver in adelaide and double it again for every person in adelaide who ever uses South Road. Its going to be virtually impossible to solve without tolls and I think you will find anything grandiose like the DTS will need to be somehow implemented using tolls.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#325 Post by jase111 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:16 pm

After all the studies are done that does not mean they will proceed .look at the study done on south road port road intersection . That Was 6 years ago still waiting for something to happen beside fixing potholes .that took 15 years and now we will be waiting another 4--6 years after the planning study are finished it cannot take that long tp work out if it's a tunnel or a( superway structure) or widening and acquiring property . In a dpti financial report in 2003/2004 a highlight is the master plan for the north south corridor .what is a mAster plan if it changes every time something gets to hard that is not a plan!!

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#326 Post by jase111 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:21 pm

MAJOR HIGHLIGHTS 2003-04 11
Road Safety Reform
South Australian Road Safety Strategy 2003-10
Transport Security
Port River Expressway
North-South Corridor Master Plan
Mawson Interchange
Public Transport Patronage

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#327 Post by Archer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:06 pm

After the first closures of the Expressway, Concrete barriers have been placed from the South Road Entrance at Nourlunga through to Approximately the Honeypot Road Bridge. 80Km/h Speed limits in place through this section. Some site fencing around this area, particularly along South road and the back of the new housing estates has also been put up and some clearing work seems to have been started in this area as well.

Notice is being given to Expressway users of further closures on the following schedule:

Feb 1-4
Wed - Fri: 9:30 - 3:30
Sat: 8:00 - 5:00

Feb 6-10
Mon - Fri: 9:30 - 3:30

**edit**
Announcement now Available from DPTI:
http://webapps.transportsa.com.au/news/ ... 5&zoneid=1

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#328 Post by HeapsGood » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:20 pm

What I dont get is that no one is working currently on the line and they still make it 60-80 km. Bit of a joke really that is holding everyone up.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

lamboni
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#329 Post by lamboni » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:58 am

Clearing of the vegetation has begun. Finally something visual is happening!

Does anyone know what's happening with the works on the corner of Diagonal and Seacombe road? My first thought was they are moving the corner away from the bridge which will have to be expanded to fit the north track of the expressway underneath.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#330 Post by Archer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:37 pm

lamboni wrote:Clearing of the vegetation has begun. Finally something visual is happening!

Does anyone know what's happening with the works on the corner of Diagonal and Seacombe road? My first thought was they are moving the corner away from the bridge which will have to be expanded to fit the north track of the expressway underneath.
The DPTI website has quite a bit of information. The 2 construction activity maps published recently give some basic information, "Modify the intersection". You might find additional detail in the Updated Concept Design (PDF), although it seems that's just the map now, the other documents which were more descriptive seem to have been removed.