[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

#511 Post by Waewick » Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Wayno wrote:Would appreciate if people change their device settings - remove the bloody 'Sent from my expensive mobile device using tapatalk - aren't i fantastic' footer message that's appearing on too many posts. See examples above.

You know who you are...

/rant
that is a galaxy s3.

they almost give them away these days.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#512 Post by neoballmon » Thu May 29, 2014 11:05 pm

After that post, I saw chilly's comment about it and its been gone since then.
Sorry though, didn't even occur to me that it could be turned off before that, just thought it was their way too keep it free with their mention every post.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#513 Post by Wayno » Fri May 30, 2014 2:09 pm

neoballmon wrote:Sorry though, didn't even occur to me that it could be turned off before that, just thought it was their way too keep it free with their mention every post.
thanks mate...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#514 Post by Will » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Must be close to completion.

Got this on my work email:
Southern Expressway Duplication - Community Day - Sunday 22 June 2014
Information Message from [[email protected]] on behalf of DPTI:Information [[email protected]]

Sent: Wednesday, 18 June 2014 4:39 PM

Come along and join in a family friendly community day to celebrate the duplication of the Southern Expressway as it nears two-way operation.

There will be plenty to see and do including site tours, stage and street performances, children’s and youth activities, exhibitions, construction equipment on show, plus a free sausage sizzle and more!

Also, participate in the ‘Feet on the Street’ record breaking attempt to create the longest line of footprints for a gold coin donation!

When: Sunday 22 June 2014

Time: 11.00 am - 3.00 pm

Where: On the expressway, under the bridge at the Reynella Interchange

You can access the event hub by:

Driving: Enter the expressway at the Marion Road or Sherriffs Road Interchange, park at designated areas and catch a free shuttle bus to the event hub (see map for details). Exit via the Reynella or Beach Road Interchange. Disabled parking will be available next to the event hub, with access to this parking area available via the Marion Road Interchange entry point only – follow the direction of traffic controllers. Access to car parking and the event hub will be available from 10.45am.
Public Transport: Catch a free shuttle bus from Noarlunga Centre adjacent bus stop 66 (western side) OR from the Marion Centre Bus Interchange in Zone I. Buses will run approximately every 15-20 mins between 10.45am and 3.00pm (last bus will depart the event site at 3.15pm).

Cycling or walking: Cyclists can use the veloway and pedestrians can use the shared use path at Reynella to access the event hub.
For more information visit http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/southern_expr ... munity_day

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#515 Post by Archer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Information Message from [[email protected]] on behalf of DPTI:Information [[email protected]]

Come along and join in a family friendly community day to celebrate the duplication of the Southern Expressway as it nears two-way operation.

Note the key word there: "nears"

Given the amount of work they still have to do, I doubt it's going to be that soon. I'd be very surprised if it opened before early August and I would expect that when it does open, it'll still be subject to lowered speed limits due to ongoing works to finish it off. Of Course that's just my opinion based on my observations of the progress.

ChillyPhilly

#516 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 am

Archer wrote:

Note the key word there: "nears"

Given the amount of work they still have to do, I doubt it's going to be that soon. I'd be very surprised if it opened before early August and I would expect that when it does open, it'll still be subject to lowered speed limits due to ongoing works to finish it off. Of Course that's just my opinion based on my observations of the progress.
I was lucky enough to go on a site visit not all that long ago.

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 76#p126876
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#517 Post by Archer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Chilly, I still I have my doubts they'll make that 2nd week of July opening, happy to be proven wrong, as the sooner they can get it open the better.

But really, from what I can see of the progress, I don't think it'll happen.

ChillyPhilly

#518 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Archer wrote:Chilly, I still I have my doubts they'll make that 2nd week of July opening, happy to be proven wrong, as the sooner they can get it open the better.

But really, from what I can see of the progress, I don't think it'll happen.
At the time it seemed moderately achievable. I think they must have hit a snag with surfacing works and possibly had to re-do some sections.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#519 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:10 am

Apparently the expressway will open in late July.

astromick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#520 Post by astromick » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:26 pm

"Apparently the expressway will open in late July."

lovely :cheers:

.....and after that move all the road building gear and start working on Victor H. Road :banana:

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#521 Post by 85trainfan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:26 pm

I managed to get along on Sunday, It was a good setup.
Under the new Reynella on ramp there was stalls setup which had, community groups Eg:lions clubs, rotary , southern junction etc., Face painters and balloon people, the two councils whose area the expressway passes through (Marion & Onkaparinga), The developers and construction companies, The South Adelaide football club had a hand ball competition, a Stage was setup under the bridge itself, and various construction equipment used on the project.
we parked just north of O'Sullivan Beach rd and caught the shuttle bus to the hub. Corstens from Two wells were the bus providers on the Southern runs. The bus had designated stops about every 300mtrs. the bus ran down the current side, got of at Beach rd, the went down the new Beach rd off ramp (after doing a 4 point turn as the buses couldn't negotiate the tight bend) then along the new section to the event hub.
The project team were still saying mid July for opening. There's still a lot of sealing works to be done. Between Beach rd and O'Sullivan Beach rd is done, apart from the Christie creek bridge. The New on/off ramps at beach rd and Sherrifs rd need to be sealed, the big bridge at Reynella (cant remember it's name ) needs its final seal, while the section from there to young street only has its first coat. When open, it will be at a lower speed for the first few weeks so a skid Resistance can be built into the surface. The surface there using on the top coat can only be laid when the temperature is 15c or higher, and lets the water run through so puddles arnt formed on the road surface.
When i can remember my flicker password, i will add some pictures
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

ChillyPhilly

#522 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Consistent with what I heard. Good job recapping it, look forward to the pictures.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#523 Post by neoballmon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:21 am

I also went to the community day on Sunday, nothing much to add onto what Jarrod's already said. I also parked down near O'Sullivans Beach Road, and there was a bit of confusion with the guy at our stop, he thought we had to get on a bus that was heading North, but all North buses were on the new roadway, he later called and found out we get on a Southbound bus and turn around at Noarlunga. Otherwise the event seemed to be very well managed. I would have liked to get there earlier and be able to take one of the tour buses though (guided half hour tours, as opposed to the shuttle buses) but oh well.

Also went along the whole length of the expressway tonight, and took note of how the current side was going. All the new road surface was laid, except at the start and end (and most likely Reynella Interchance). The entire centre wall was built, except for a small section between the Reynella Interchange and Young Street.

Almost all of the expressway is 80km/h now, only exceptions being 60km/h at all of the interchanges, and dropping to 40km/h between Reynella Interchange and Young Street where they've recently put in another section of the wall.

Many Gantry sign poles are erect, and just waiting on the sign to be placed on, most likely not until soon before the official opening. Signs were apparently installed on Marion Road last weekend, and will be installed this weekend at both ends of South Road, with quite significant lane disruptions.
Main South Road, Old Noarlunga
Traffic reduced to one lane in each direction between River Road and the Southern Expressway entrance and speed restrictions in place on Saturday, 21 June 2014, between 8.00 pm and 9.00 am and on Saturday, 28 June 2014, between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm.

Main South Road, Darlington
South bound traffic reduced to one lane adjacent the work site (just south of Flinders Drive) and speed restrictions in place on Sunday, 29 June 2014, between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm. Northbound traffic will be unaffected. Access to Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University, local businesses and residential areas will remain unaffected via Flinders Drive.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#524 Post by 85trainfan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:06 am

Now for some of the pictures. I was using an older manual lens that I haven't used in a while (well actually never, apart from when I first got the camera, but other lens is cactus so this had to do), so some may be a bit out of focus
Looking South from the New Off ramp @ Beach Road

Looking North from the Beach Road Bridge towards the Elizabeth Road bridge.

Glenhelan Path, with water artwork.

The O'Sullivan Beach Road Bridge, now painted so it doesn't look mismatched.

Our Chariot to the Event Hub

Australian Bush Themed artwork on the southern side of the New Reynella On ramp.

The Curve in the Bridge for the new On Ramp.

Some of the Construction Machinery used in the construction process.

The Noarlunga SES display.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

[Shuz]

#525 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:32 pm

I sincerely hope that they have factored in for adding a third lane to the expressway in future from the Reynella Interchange to the Old Noarlunga exit?

It would be an incredibly colossal waste of money having rebuilt all these bridges and doing the duplication work if the provision for a third lane wasn't provided?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.