[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

#556 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Aidan wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Not sure why PRExy has an expressway tag when it has an at grade intersection and opening bridge, but that's another story.
No it doesn't, as it ends at the at grade intersection before the opening bridge.

The SEXY also ends at at grade intersections, at both ends.

* A few years ago someone asked whether SEXY was the appropriate abbreviation. My response was not until it goes both ways!
Are you sure? The signage for the PRExy goes all the way to Victoria Rd (i.e. over the bridge), see the below clip. If they renamed the bridge Victoria Rd and started/ended the PRExy at Perkins Dr, they may be able to reclassify it M9.

Relead
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#557 Post by Relead » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:03 am

Took me 6 minutes to get from sheriffs road down to the Darlington exit, traffic was a little backed up in all lanes at the exit but traffic moved reasonably well through the exit :)
It was all 80km/ph northbound so may be able to shave off another minute when the limit goes to 100!

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#558 Post by alexczarn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:38 am

spiller wrote:Ok technically there are more than three but if we're counting roads that originate and terminate with a considerable length in between, its three. I dont count the north south motorway. 3kms is a joke.

maybe by 2100 we'll have upwards of 10 when they do the ring-route. at this stage i doubt south road will be a non-stopper before 2050
What ring route?

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#559 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:43 am

The less freeways, the better. Freeways should be used to serve motor vehicle-reliant uses and areas such as trucking and industry respectively. Controlled access roads suffice for residential areas.

I digress. What's the final surface of the duplicated section like?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#560 Post by neoballmon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:55 pm

It's really smooth, and quiet, much like nexy and the superway.
I didn't notice any bumps along the road either.
There are still sections at interchanges that don't have their final layer.

Also, turning right at the Marion road exit heading north still hasn't been completed, the lane is there, but blocked off, no traffic lights are installed on Marion road southbound, and the median is still in tact.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#561 Post by jase111 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Drove from Mclaren vale to edwarsdtown today there is a sign at Mclaren vale saying overpass cost 18 million fed funded
Why then is there not an overpass heading south off the southern expressway for the amount this road has cost in total 75 million and 407 million and it ends at a set of lights ??? It will be done in the future and will cost quad triple that!!
I know it's not complete but are there variable speed signs beyond reynella ?
It is a nice road to drive on now for the next 15 km from Darlington to m2 and northern connector

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#562 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 pm

The cost to benefit ratio must have been to low for this additional work. The stretches of road are very different in their nature, they are not like two peas in a pot.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#563 Post by neoballmon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:38 am

jase111 wrote: I know it's not complete but are there variable speed signs beyond reynella ?
Yes there are, they're not switched on yet, and they have regular signs indicating it's 60 down the hill.

Looking closely at them, it looks like theirs only 2 digits, so the hill will once again be 80 (in good conditions) once it reaches full speed.

I would have thought being a brand new road, they might have been able to solve the issue that took it down to 80 previously, or at least kept it at 90 (Start descending earlier to reduce slope %).
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#564 Post by muzzamo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 am

I think they still have some additional work to replace the overhead signs at entrance points to the expressway.

The ones at panatalinga road are "lit" variable arrows which seem to be against their standard approach of using "rotating billboard" variable arrows, which themselves seem to fit the road signage standards a bit better.

The ones at sherrifs road are just plain broken/malfunctioning at the moment and will presumably also be replaced.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#565 Post by alexczarn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 am

muzzamo wrote:I think they still have some additional work to replace the overhead signs at entrance points to the expressway.

The ones at panatalinga road are "lit" variable arrows which seem to be against their standard approach of using "rotating billboard" variable arrows, which themselves seem to fit the road signage standards a bit better.

The ones at sherrifs road are just plain broken/malfunctioning at the moment and will presumably also be replaced.
I guess that means the Darlington ones will have to be replaced too..

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#566 Post by Thunderstruck » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:25 am

Drove this a few times now and great to see it completed. They seriously must have hauled ass to get this done in August given the progress (or lack thereof) they had made through summer.

Generally the drive is pretty good but there are some fairly ordinary areas of the road which need a proper final re-surface, its patchy and u can feel every little bump. Also the thumping great cliff in the road when you come off the Marion entrance to the freeway as you merge with traffic coming on from South Road gives you a fright. I was checking my blind spot and did not notice the bump and hit it whilst turned...though I'd hit something for a second, not good for your car at all, they better fix that soon.

Otherwise, a fairly good run and will be nicer when it is 100 going north. Only take it going south atm as it's still quicker to go up the Lonsdale Hwy heading north to get to the airport for example where I work.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#567 Post by omada » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:57 am

ooh a little bumpy hey? diddims. you are all lucky it wasn't a tollway and to be honest I think its a crime to neglect public transport, whilst building these cosy highways for people driving 1-2 tonne vehicles by themselves.

Waewick

#568 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 am

omada wrote:ooh a little bumpy hey? diddims. you are all lucky it wasn't a tollway and to be honest I think its a crime to neglect public transport, whilst building these cosy highways for people driving 1-2 tonne vehicles by themselves.
talk about diddums.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#569 Post by Brando » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 pm

omada wrote:ooh a little bumpy hey? diddims. you are all lucky it wasn't a tollway and to be honest I think its a crime to neglect public transport, whilst building these cosy highways for people driving 1-2 tonne vehicles by themselves.
That time of the month mate.... :wink: o

ChillyPhilly

#570 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 am

Public transport wasn't neglected. Well BEFORE the duplication of SExy, the Noarlunga line was extended south to Seaford, electrified, saw new electric trains and underwent station and rail intersection (Goodwood) improvements.

The negative that can perhaps come of the duplication is that it will pull commuters away from using upgraded public transport. Hopefully, though, these people have decided and realised what is cheaper, more sustainable and socially better.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.