COM: McLaren Vale Overpass | $18m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Alyx
High Rise Poster!

COM: McLaren Vale Overpass | $18m

#1 Post by Alyx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Apologies if there's already an appropriate thread for this.
AdelaideNow wrote:Mr Rudd and Mr Rann later drove to McLaren Vale to announce an $18 million overpass to be built at Victor Harbor Rd and Main Rd at McLaren Vale.

The overpass - lobbied for by local MP Leon Bignell - will allow traffic from McLaren Vale to merge safely with high speed traffic on the Victor Harbor Rd.

The junction has seen 41 crashes in the past eight years including a triple fatality.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the jointly funded project showed how the State and Federal governments are working in partnership.

"We are now having the biggest spend on road and rail infrastructure this state as ever seen and we've been able to do so because of our good relationship with the Federal Government,'' he said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: $18m overpass for Victor Harbor Road, McLaren Vale

#2 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Alyx wrote:Apologies if there's already an appropriate thread for this.
AdelaideNow wrote:Mr Rudd and Mr Rann later drove to McLaren Vale to announce an $18 million overpass to be built at Victor Harbor Rd and Main Rd at McLaren Vale.

The overpass - lobbied for by local MP Leon Bignell - will allow traffic from McLaren Vale to merge safely with high speed traffic on the Victor Harbor Rd.

The junction has seen 41 crashes in the past eight years including a triple fatality.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the jointly funded project showed how the State and Federal governments are working in partnership.

"We are now having the biggest spend on road and rail infrastructure this state as ever seen and we've been able to do so because of our good relationship with the Federal Government,'' he said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477
Good news, this intersection is very dangerous for cars coming from all directions, so this is a good outcome.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by RayRichards » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Mr Conlon is a good man. A very much needed project. It will benefit alot of people on this busy stretch of bitumin. Having a Mt Compass bypass as well will really get things cracking.

Ray.

danielphin
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by danielphin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Would it be inappropriate to have the Southern Expressway just keep going over the hill and merge with Victor Harbor Rd?

Edit: Ray, I swear I didn't see your post in the other thread before posting this. As a former resident of VH, the idea had been kicking around in my head for a while, especially after taking a trek through the area proposed below.

The overpass is great news though. The RAA got what they wanted.

(Google Maps | Skitch)

marquisite
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by marquisite » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:03 pm

danielphin wrote:Would it be inappropriate to have the Southern Expressway just keep going over the hill and merge with Victor Harbor Rd?
I thought the same thing (and have voiced my opinion to the email contact found on the DTEI website along with a route example).

By no means am I a professional in this field but I've attached my suggestion, quite similar to the above poster.
southernexpressway_victorconnector.jpg
Southern Expressway Victor Connector Suggestion (Alignment purely fictional without any professional input)
southernexpressway_victorconnector.jpg (97.46 KiB) Viewed 9446 times
PS: Long time lurker, first time poster.. you won't find me posting much unless I have something decent to add.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by rhino » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Good suggestion. But ... Marquisite, you don't have a slip lane for traffic travelling south along Main South Road (for example, from Hackham) to enter the expressway and head towards McLaren Vale. I think this would be very advantagous. I like the way you've presented your idea, though.
cheers,
Rhino

danielphin
Gold-Member ;)

#7 Post by danielphin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:06 pm

+1 for Marq. Flyover for the southbound South Rd traffic to merge with S/Exy?

I just dont see the point why the existing traffic should have to even enter South Rd. Surely 95% of traffic from VH Rd. enter the Southern Expressway, even if a lot of them get off on the Noarlunga exit

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by drsmith » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Surely with all this money being splashed around we can bypass Port Wakefield.

With that bypass of Old Norlunga how much would the bridge over the Onkaparinga river cost ?
At first glance it seems like a good idea. Could it initally be built as a single carriageway and duplicated later as the need arises ?

zap brannigan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by zap brannigan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 am

i always get excited whenever captain blah blah visits the state. :roll:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:27 am

any pikkies of the proposed $18m overpass?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by RayRichards » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:12 pm

danielphin wrote:Would it be inappropriate to have the Southern Expressway just keep going over the hill and merge with Victor Harbor Rd?

Edit: Ray, I swear I didn't see your post in the other thread before posting this. As a former resident of VH, the idea had been kicking around in my head for a while, especially after taking a trek through the area proposed below.

The overpass is great news though. The RAA got what they wanted.

(Google Maps | Skitch)
Exactly what i had in mind Daniel :cheers: Wish I knew how to edit the google maps such as yourself. Most of us in many years time will be living down victor way, so it be good for a freeway like road to be built to join with the proposed North-South connecter road. A Nuri to Victor non-stop road would rock for me. As well as most of the truckies in SA.

Ray.

Aidan

#12 Post by Aidan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 pm

drsmith wrote:Surely with all this money being splashed around we can bypass Port Wakefield.
Haven't we already done that? I seem to recall the DTEI announced it a few years ago.
It did provoke a lot of opposition from local businesses, so if it hasn't been built yet, that's probably the reason.
With that bypass of Old Norlunga how much would the bridge over the Onkaparinga river cost ?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
At first glance it seems like a good idea. Could it initally be built as a single carriageway and duplicated later as the need arises ?
Probably not. The economics of bridges are rather different to those of roads.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#13 Post by Aidan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:32 pm

danielphin wrote:+1 for Marq. Flyover for the southbound South Rd traffic to merge with S/Exy?

I just dont see the point why the existing traffic should have to even enter South Rd. Surely 95% of traffic from VH Rd. enter the Southern Expressway, even if a lot of them get off on the Noarlunga exit
Why do you think the figure would be anywhere near that high? The southern suburbs are likely to have more traffic to and from VH than the rest of Adelaide, due to their proximity. And Hackham, Morphett Vale, Woodcroft and Reynella (East) make up a substantial part of the southern suburbs.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by drsmith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Aidan wrote:
drsmith wrote:Surely with all this money being splashed around we can bypass Port Wakefield.
Haven't we already done that? I seem to recall the DTEI announced it a few years ago.
It did provoke a lot of opposition from local businesses, so if it hasn't been built yet, that's probably the reason.

If that was the reason then I suspect we would still be driving through Virginia/Two wells and Dublin. IIRC no one was too interested in the mid 90's when is was considered as part of an extension to the existing dual carriageway. I think even the interstate truckies said they preferred to stop at Port Wakefield instead of Port Augusta.

The Federal Coalition promised $70m towards it as part of their 2007 election campaign but that died with their election loss. Wakefield Regional Council have now accepted a need for it but I suspect the problem is the cost for solving something that really is only a problem for holiday traffic travelling to/from YP.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Looking at the topography the bridge would have to span the river at close to a height of 100m.
Probably not. The economics of bridges are rather different to those of roads.

Aidan

#15 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 am

marquisite wrote: By no means am I a professional in this field but I've attached my suggestion, quite similar to the above poster.
southernexpressway_victorconnector.jpg
I'm surprised nobody's yet commented on the southern end of the plan. 'Tis completely inappropriate!

Complete grade separation of Victor Harbor Road is much more urgent, and indeed more important, than a more direct route across the Onkaparinga.