News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: ## General Public Transport thread

#571 Post by rubberman » Sun May 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Hooligan wrote:

i'm guessing you are someone who gets excited over grease nipples?

Well, I don't want to butter anybody up the wrong way, but the days when you could roll up a lump of cardium compound in the latest edition of some Murdoch publication, throw it in the gear casing of a drop-centre tram and announce that the 10000 mile service has been done are over.

Part of the concern is that if the powers that be are not able to install a system that works as well as it should, then we waste our time talking about tram extensions to wherever. Tram systems are expensive to install compared to buses, but if the trip time ends up longer because of poor design or vehicle selection, those extensions are not going to cut it. Now, if you had said 'greasy' that would have been different. :banana:

mickmat
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#572 Post by mickmat » Sun May 27, 2012 11:54 pm

is anyone going to the transport meeting tomorrow? if so address we need faster trams... i would go but im working

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#573 Post by mutt » Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 am

dont think we need faster trams. only one line and its a short one.
the lower cost of maintenance for the new stock I guess is the primary reason for going that way

rubberman

#574 Post by rubberman » Mon May 28, 2012 8:42 am

mickmat wrote:is anyone going to the transport meeting tomorrow? if so address we need faster trams... i would go but im working

Mickmat and mutt,

Perhaps I should be more precise.

The trams are fast enough themselves. However, in the case of the Citadis, they need good track to get up to the speeds they are capable of. Since the only track that is stable enough long term is the concrete track from Sth Terrace to the Entertainment Centre. They are ok for use as Shuttle Trams. In fact it is probably a good thing to have the shuttle trams a distinctive different colour to the trams to Glenelg. They don't need to be any better than they are. If used exclusively for the shuttle, my gripe would then only be that they cost $6m a piece when we could have gotten Skoda or Pragoimex for half the price.

In the case of the Flexitys, they can be driven somewhat faster now. Also, the signalling needs to be removed and safeworking undertaken to the German BOSTRAB standard (and don't take any nonsense that the Germans don't know anything about running tram systems safely). Again, a Skoda 15T at a much reduced price compared to the Flexity would have been good, and they would have been able to run even faster as track inevitably deteriorates, but it is done now - nothing to be done. However, there is no reason why system performance could not be improved to at least the 29minutes it used to take the trams in the fifties to get from Glenelg to North Terrace. Now.

Mutt, while the maintenance costs of the Flexitys is probably less than the H cars, the massive interest and depreciation bill on a $6m per car purchase is so high that if anybody wants to justify trams for the future (be that city loops, or lines to Nth Adelaide or Norwood, or the Airport), then that cost needs to be justified by good performance in all aspects. For example, if one could get from Glenelg to North Terrace in 25Minutes, then that is very favourable in comparison to a private motor vehicle. Why pay more money for a system that takes 38 minutes for the same trip and is unfavourable in comparison to a private motor vehicle?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#575 Post by AtD » Mon May 28, 2012 9:29 am

Does the tram division of Skoda even have a presence in Australia?

rubberman

#576 Post by rubberman » Mon May 28, 2012 12:55 pm

AtD wrote:Does the tram division of Skoda even have a presence in Australia?
I don't think so. Although I am prepared to be contradicted by anyone who has better knowledge.

However, given that the world was scoured to procure the Citadis, and that there were more Flexities coming, I imagine that Skoda would have been interested in making a bid. Similarly, the German Government does not regulate tramways in Australia, but we could have used their experience built up over fifty years and published in BOSTRAB to avoid beginners' mistakes. I do not say that to insult people running public transport in Adelaide, but when experience has been limited to running twenty or so seventy year old H cars on a single line, there is not a lot of opportunity to keep abreast with the latest and greatest tramway technology - no criticism, it just is not feasible to develop a knowledge base in that situation. What is important, however, is that when the button is pushed and hundreds of millions of dollars are to be spent, then the best value for money (not necessarily a Rolls Royce) trams, track and operational procedures should be investigated thoroughly and the right knowledge acquired prior to purchase and installation of the system.

At the moment, it is second best imo for the reasons outlined in my previous posts.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#577 Post by jk1237 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:17 pm

mickmat wrote:is anyone going to the transport meeting tomorrow? if so address we need faster trams... i would go but im working
what needs to be addressed is the absurd traffic light sequence that gives cars priority over trams in the city. Just have a look what happens to trams heading into the city from the South Tce stop. Northbound traffic on King William road (Peacock Rd i think it is) gets an eternity green light for the 4-7 cars into KW St. By the time the tram gets a green light, the sequence of lights on KW St means the tram is then stopped by a yellow and red at Gilbert/Gilles St without fail, while the cars, who were actually behind the tram through the parklands, are now all the way up to Wright/Carrington St atleast. Its mindbogling and defies any logic
Last edited by jk1237 on Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metro
Legendary Member!

#578 Post by metro » Tue May 29, 2012 5:29 pm

The new metrocard ticket gates are being installed at Adelaide Station now.

Omicron

#579 Post by Omicron » Tue May 29, 2012 10:02 pm

jk1237 wrote:
what needs to be addressed is the absurd traffic light sequence that gives cars priority over trams in the city. Just have a look what happens to trams heading into the city from the South Tce stop. Northbound traffic on King William road (Peacock Rd i think it is) gets an eternity green light for the 4-7 cars into KW St. By the time the tram gets a green light, the sequence of lights on KW St means the tram is then stopped by a yellow and red at Gilbert/Gilles St without fail, while the cars, who were actually behind the tram through the parklands, are now all the way up to Wright/Carrington St atleast. Its mindbogling and defies any logic
I thought it was just me. The traffic light sequences are atrocious - I don't think it's possible for the tram to be any more disadvantaged by the CBD lights than it currently is.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#580 Post by crawf » Wed May 30, 2012 7:57 am

Agreed. It's made worse where some drivers have never heard of the word 'speed'.

For the past couple of months I've chosen to catch a bus along Port Road instead of the tram, because quint frankly the bus is much faster. When really it should be the other way around.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#581 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 30, 2012 7:16 pm

crawf wrote:Agreed. It's made worse where some drivers have never heard of the word 'speed'.

For the past couple of months I've chosen to catch a bus along Port Road instead of the tram, because quint frankly the bus is much faster. When really it should be the other way around.
I catch the bus from Greenhill Road to Pirie Street after work since it's faster and less packed than the sardine can, I mean tram. This is in peak hour Adelaide CBD traffic that's supposed to be so bad.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

danielphin
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Public transport smartcard system

#582 Post by danielphin » Thu May 31, 2012 12:39 am

These were installed over the last 2 days.

Note: the extra width on the right for wheelchair access.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#583 Post by DM8 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Been told that I've qualified for the trial, and after a follow-up e-mail in a couple of weeks, my new card will be ready at the Info Center. Bring it on!
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

ChillyPhilly

#584 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm

DM8 wrote:Been told that I've qualified for the trial, and after a follow-up e-mail in a couple of weeks, my new card will be ready at the Info Center. Bring it on!
Snap! Harrison Research are running the trial. There's the possibility of being called up for future research projects, with $50 in travel money for 'group sessions'. Easy :wink:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#585 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:46 pm

I too, qualified for the trial. Will be getting my card shortly. :-)
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.