News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Public transport smartcard system

#646 Post by jk1237 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 pm

not that this is the greatest issue in the world, but why do the new ticket machines do a little dance with your ticket. The old machines were quick, the new ones do a little in and out and back in jiggle and it takes longer for a line up of people to get on the bus. Crikeys, I think I might write a letter to Adelaide now :P

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#647 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:08 pm

jk1237 wrote:not that this is the greatest issue in the world, but why do the new ticket machines do a little dance with your ticket. The old machines were quick, the new ones do a little in and out and back in jiggle and it takes longer for a line up of people to get on the bus. Crikeys, I think I might write a letter to Adelaide now :P
I noticed this - I think they re-read the strip after it is written. Or maybe it likes to play the "here take it..." *snatches it away* game that is so popular with primary school bullies. Either way it annoys people a lot.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#648 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:43 am

The machines never take my ticket in.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#649 Post by Allkai » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:54 am

mcardlej wrote:Does anybody else think it's a bit of a security issue displaying the balance left on your card? I'm not sure i want broadcast on the train that I have $63.12 left on my card to everyone on the train.

Perhaps just show the balance when it's getting low? Not sure of other options...
Sounds like this may be addressed?

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/ticketing/metrocard
What can I do with metrocard during the trial?
During the trials of metrocard, most metrocard functions and features will be available.
As more functions are made available we’ll let you know.

•Validate on all Buses, Trains and most Trams
•Recharge at InfoCentres
•Recharge at Metrocard agents: Currently available at selected locations
•Recharge on board Train
•Recharge on board Tram
Protect your metrocard balance – Coming soon
•Setup an auto-recharge – Coming soon
•Check and recharge your Metrocard balance online – Coming soon

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#650 Post by Archer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Allkai wrote:
mcardlej wrote:Does anybody else think it's a bit of a security issue displaying the balance left on your card? I'm not sure i want broadcast on the train that I have $63.12 left on my card to everyone on the train.

Perhaps just show the balance when it's getting low? Not sure of other options...
Sounds like this may be addressed?

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/ticketing/metrocard
What can I do with metrocard during the trial?
During the trials of metrocard, most metrocard functions and features will be available.
As more functions are made available we’ll let you know.

•Validate on all Buses, Trains and most Trams
•Recharge at InfoCentres
•Recharge at Metrocard agents: Currently available at selected locations
•Recharge on board Train
•Recharge on board Tram
Protect your metrocard balance – Coming soon
•Setup an auto-recharge – Coming soon
•Check and recharge your Metrocard balance online – Coming soon
I think that is more likely to be referring to the ability to report your card as lost or stolen and have that card cancelled and the remaining balance transferred to a new card, rather than the balance being displayed (or not) on the ticket machines.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#651 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 pm

What did people here put for the last question?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#652 Post by muzzamo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:04 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:What did people here put for the last question?
I mentioned that there is an inadequate number of validators on the 2000 (jumbo) trains. 1 validator per set of double doors doesn't cut the cake and isn't enough to make boarding speedy which is half the point of the project.

The 3000 series trains have 4 sets of validators per double doors.

metro
Legendary Member!

#653 Post by metro » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:34 pm

muzzamo wrote:
I mentioned that there is an inadequate number of validators on the 2000 (jumbo) trains. 1 validator per set of double doors doesn't cut the cake and isn't enough to make boarding speedy which is half the point of the project.

The dwell times at some stations in peak hour are pretty bad with a lot of people trying to squeeze onto a 2 car train through 4 narrow doors, It would be much better if they removed validators and ticket machines from the trains and trams and put them on the stations instead, passengers would just jump on and not be messing around trying to validate or buy tickets. :roll:

danielphin
Gold-Member ;)

#654 Post by danielphin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Archer wrote:
Allkai wrote:
mcardlej wrote:Protect your metrocard balance – Coming soon
I think that is more likely to be referring to the ability to report your card as lost or stolen and have that card cancelled and the remaining balance transferred to a new card, rather than the balance being displayed (or not) on the ticket machines.
From the survey sent out this morning:
3. Protecting your metrocard offers users the below benefits:
• Option to transfer balance to a new metrocard if lost or stolen
• Option to set up auto recharge (metrocard can be linked to a nominated credit card which automatically recharges when the balance hits a low threshold)
• Access to metrocard transaction history

To protect your metrocard you will need to give Adelaide Metro your name, address, phone number, email address and date of birth.

Protecting is totally optional.

Would you protect your metrocard?

Yes
No
Possibly

BillD
High Rise Poster!

Re: ## General Public Transport thread

#655 Post by BillD » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Here's a shot of what appears to be high intensity LED lighting which is being installed at pedestrian crossings on the Glenelg line.

Very bright !

ChillyPhilly

#656 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:04 am

muzzamo wrote:

Aren't the 2000 class trains getting the boot as of next year? That's what I thought the original plan was. But why then, did AdelaideMetro install the new validators for only a year?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#657 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Looks very bright, hopefully they do the same for all railway crossings aswell.

Aidan

#658 Post by Aidan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:41 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Aren't the 2000 class trains getting the boot as of next year? That's what I thought the original plan was. But why then, did AdelaideMetro install the new validators for only a year?
They're likely to be around a bit longer than that. But it's not as if validator installation is extremely complicated. Anyway, when the trains become surplus to requirements, the validators can always be moved to other trains, trams or buses.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#659 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Aidan wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Aren't the 2000 class trains getting the boot as of next year? That's what I thought the original plan was. But why then, did AdelaideMetro install the new validators for only a year?
They're likely to be around a bit longer than that. But it's not as if validator installation is extremely complicated. Anyway, when the trains become surplus to requirements, the validators can always be moved to other trains, trams or buses.
It'd probably be a given for them to stick around a little longer now following the delays to electrification upgrades.

claybro

#660 Post by claybro » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Does anyone know, if there has ever been a consideration for a direct North/South train route without the need to change at Adelaide station? I would have thought this inexpensive to achieve. ie could a diesel train be run from say Oaklands stopping at Goodwood and continue on to the Northern line (limited stops) instead of into Adelaideand perhaps terminate at Salisbury? Passengers from the South wanting to get to the North could change to this train at Oklands. Passengers from Belair could change at Goodwood.Perhaps a platform could be built near the old gaol as a transferr for the Outer Harbor line to the North /South line. Those wishing to go further North could then change at Salisbury for points further North. It is not uncommon at Adelaide station to watch commuters changing between platforms only to sit in a parked train awaiting departure.