News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: MetroCard System

#826 Post by rev » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:44 pm

poccari wrote:Yeah, dont cut up your metrocard. It does have an aerial running around the perimeter of the card, so if you just cut out the card around the chip, the card will no longer work.
You could possibly make your own aerial and attach it to the exposed wires (and have it coiled on the back), but it's too much hassle for me.
Oh well. *sigh*
An aerial? You mean like that copper/gold wire that runs around the edge of the bank debit cards?

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#827 Post by PeFe » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:52 am

From Adelaide Now
Quarter of SA public transport assaults are sex-related offences, but drop in reported violence

MORE than 200 people were assaulted on public transport in one year and 50 were the victim of sexual offences - including two rapes - latest police figures show.
Missiles such as rocks were thrown at 16 buses, trains and trams while six passengers threw objects at targets from public transport vehicles last financial year.
But with the help of passengers, a police crackdown has led to offences falling from 1552 to 1176, or 24 per cent, in the 12 months to October compared with the previous corresponding period, according to data obtained under Freedom of Information.
In July, 28 extra officers joined the police Transit Services Branch and two tactical units were established to "go anywhere at short notice to where intelligence identifies trouble spots," police media operations manager Inspector Brett Foster said.

Other initiatives adopted in the crackdown included:
USING CCTV images to identify offenders at the Adelaide and Elizabeth railway stations.
POSTING a Transit Most Wanted list on the police Facebook site.
PATROLLING transit corridors using officers on trail bikes to reduce graffiti.
Insp Foster praised passengers for their role in reducing the crime rate.
"By increasing the people that can see the images of suspects is the real key to reducing crime and apprehending offenders." he said.
Police Minister Jennifer Rankine said the extra resources for the transit branch honoured a State Government pre-election promise.
She said since the launch of the July crackdown, there had been a 50 per cent increase in detecting various offences such as disorderly and offensive behaviour.
"These results are very reassuring, especially at this time of year when we urge anyone who has had a few drinks to leave their car at home,"Ms Rankine said.
People for Public Transport secretary Margaret Dingle was encouraged, saying it was "definitely a good outcome because people want to feel safe".
"Offences like rape, bashings and throwing missiles are things which need to be stopped," she said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6537872124

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#828 Post by bm7500 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Here is something that is puzzling me a little. Ever since the Metrocard was officially released to the public, i have had one.

Up until last week i could scan my card through my wallet but now i have to take it out every time i want to use it.

I haven't changed my wallet or the position i put it in my wallet (right at the front) but it will just not work anymore unless i take it out. Weird?? :?
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#829 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:36 pm

bm7500 wrote:Here is something that is puzzling me a little. Ever since the Metrocard was officially released to the public, i have had one.

Up until last week i could scan my card through my wallet but now i have to take it out every time i want to use it.

I haven't changed my wallet or the position i put it in my wallet (right at the front) but it will just not work anymore unless i take it out. Weird?? :?
I've noticed this too. First week scanned the from inside, now I have to take it out. Maybe they turned down the sensitity?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#830 Post by Eurostar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 pm

I was watching the animation of the Seaford rail extension, the train from the front kinda looked like a Comeng and the side kinda looked like a Tangara.

The extension is coming along well now, can't wait to see the it complete and ride a new train to Seaford

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#831 Post by bm7500 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 am

monotonehell wrote:
bm7500 wrote:Here is something that is puzzling me a little. Ever since the Metrocard was officially released to the public, i have had one.

I've noticed this too. First week scanned the from inside, now I have to take it out. Maybe they turned down the sensitity?
That was my thought too, not sure the reasoning behind doing that other than drawing too much power?
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#832 Post by Pants » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 am

Apologies if someone's already mentioned it, but it is known when online top-ups are starting?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#833 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm

bm7500 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

That was my thought too, not sure the reasoning behind doing that other than drawing too much power?
Or perhaps people walking past the readers were having their card docked lol

Slight annoyance, the Rundle Mall tram stop's top up machine has been out of order for over a week. :S
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#834 Post by Allkai » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:10 am

Pants wrote:Apologies if someone's already mentioned it, but it is known when online top-ups are starting?
http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Tickets ... -metrocard
Auto recharge is temporarily unavailable while upgrades are underway in preparation for online recharge and auto recharge for release in early 2013.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#835 Post by Pants » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks for that!

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#836 Post by fabricator » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:20 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6545622751
FIRE has damaged an administration building at the St Agnes bus depot on North East Rd. The Metropolitan Fire Service
was alerted to the blaze by an alarm just after 8am. Thirty-five MFS firefighters, assisted by a Country Fire Service crew,
contained the fire to the administration building. Damage was largely contained to the roof space and is estimated to be more
than $30,000, an MFS spokeswoman said. Fire-cause officers are on scene to investigate the source of the fire.

A Transport Department spokeswoman said the fire had not caused any bus service delays.
Motorists are advised there may be some smoke in the area.
Its the main depot for Light City Buses, I'm sure a fire in the roof space where all the power and network cables are will cause no problems what so ever for their operation. :lol: Plus no doubt water in a few places it shouldn't be.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#837 Post by HeapsGood » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6548155951

THE head of one of Adelaide's bus operators has told passengers they will have to choose between a hot bus service or none at all.

With Adelaide facing five days of extreme temperatures starting tomorrow, concerns have been raised with the ability of airconditioning on Adelaide's buses to cope with the heat.

Thousands of commuters are being shunted from Adelaide's rail service on to free substitute bus services as part of an upgrade of the Adelaide Railway Station and works on the Noarlunga, Tonsley and Belair lines.

Ashley Barnes, chief executive of bus company SouthLink, admitted that several of his company's buses lacked effective airconditioning.

"Some use fans to get the air around ... the reality is you can either not have a bus service or you can have a hot one," he said.

Transport Workers Union organiser Ian Gonsalves, who represents bus drivers, said commuters using the free bus service can expect some hot conditions.
newsforce-clarkesecurity

"We know the airconditioning on some buses isn't up to scratch. It's simply blowing hot air and the people on these buses have it pretty tough," Mr Gonsalves said.

At a press conference yesterday, Transport and Infrastructure Minister Pat Conlon said substitute buses were the best option for taxpayers.

"We want to take care of people in the heat but the truth is the rail line has to be closed some time and it would be a flagrant misuse of taxpayers' money to buy buses for seven months and then retire them," he said.

Substitute services are part operating on the Gawler, Grange and Outer Harbor lines until February 3 during the upgrade of the Adelaide Railway Station.

The Belair line has been closed for six months from January 2 to separate commuter and freight lines at Millswood, while the Noarlunga line will be closed for eight months for electrification work.

The Country Fire Service is preparing for another busy week after horror conditions on Friday caused more than 40 fires around the state.

Fire fighters were last night still monitoring fires at Sevenhill in the Clare Valley, Compton near Mt Gambier and Macgillivray on Kangaroo Island.

Total fire bans have been declared for today in the Northwest Pastoral, Northeast Pastoral, West Coast, Flinders, Mid North and Yorke Peninsula.
The lack of adequate air conditioning in the older buses (typically the buses with the old brown or leather seats) is absolutely disgusting.

I will only take the newer buses with the air con.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#838 Post by Punishment466 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Well don't whinge when you're waiting a while.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#839 Post by HeapsGood » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Ill whinge whenever I want thanks.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#840 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Im sure when they planned this closure, they had no expectation of there being so many days over about 35 in the first couple of weeks of January. And if you're using the Noarlunga/Belair lines, the lack of AC will not be an issue by around March, so shouldn't be too bad after that. Otherwise you get AC'd trains back next month for the other lines.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!