News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1081 Post by rubberman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Aidan,

How do you know it was 'garbage in'? Could you share your sources of information? Not sure how the train disruption feeds into factors affecting this service.

I have used the NA Connector on plenty of occasions. I am not sure that reliability is that much more of a problem than any of the other PT services in Adelaide. Not to say that it is satisfactory, but there are plenty of other reliability problems in the system that get aired regularly on the media.

I really think that the proof of the pudding is in the eating here. If the route is what people want, it will be patronised. If not, then surely it can be 'tweaked'. Whether or not it is going to be popular enough to warrant an upgrade from the Connector minibuses (aaaannnnddd Tindo, the world's most famous bus LOL), to a larger bus type remains to be seen.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#1082 Post by bay transit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:07 pm

There are already more than enough bus services covering North Terrace.This new service will provide a 15 minute service along the 99C(revised route) as opposed to the current service,as well as being operational for longer each day---that certainly is a major improvement!

Aidan

#1083 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:40 pm

rubberman wrote:Aidan,

How do you know it was 'garbage in'?
The rubbish it produced was a pretty strong clue!
Could you share your sources of information? Not sure how the train disruption feeds into factors affecting this service.
The Adelaide Station stop is normally one of the busiest on the City Loop, but with a third of the train passengers gone the ACC now considers it unimportant enough for both loops to avoid.
I have used the NA Connector on plenty of occasions. I am not sure that reliability is that much more of a problem than any of the other PT services in Adelaide. Not to say that it is satisfactory, but there are plenty of other reliability problems in the system that get aired regularly on the media.
Does this mean its reliability has improved?
I really think that the proof of the pudding is in the eating here. If the route is what people want, it will be patronised. If not, then surely it can be 'tweaked'. Whether or not it is going to be popular enough to warrant an upgrade from the Connector minibuses (aaaannnnddd Tindo, the world's most famous bus LOL), to a larger bus type remains to be seen.
The City Loop is quite well used, and would probably attract more passengers if it ran more frequently, but they're proposing to halve its frequency! But now you've got me wondering what the world's most famous bus really is...
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#1084 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 pm

bay transit wrote:There are already more than enough bus services covering North Terrace.
No, there already more than enough bus services covering King William Street. Indeed we're pretty well served with bus routes going to North Adelaide via King William Road.

There aren't anywhere near as many bus routes along the western side of North Terrace, although I'm pleased to see they have at least restored the 281 to that route.
This new service will provide a 15 minute service along the 99C(revised route) as opposed to the current service,as well as being operational for longer each day---that certainly is a major improvement!
15 minutes on part of the route a major improvement on the old figure of 15 minutes on the whole of the route??? Or did they cease to run at 15 minute intervals and not tell us? I must admit I have waited longer than that before, but I thought that was due to uneven delays - which is a problem likely to get worse if half the buses take a different route.

Longer service hours are good, but not if it comes at the expense of providing a decent service in the first place.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1085 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Aidan wrote:The Adelaide Station stop is normally one of the busiest on the City Loop, but with a third of the train passengers gone the ACC now considers it unimportant enough for both loops to avoid.
Is this before or after the tram extension?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan

#1086 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:43 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:The Adelaide Station stop is normally one of the busiest on the City Loop, but with a third of the train passengers gone the ACC now considers it unimportant enough for both loops to avoid.
Is this before or after the tram extension?
After. But I agree the 99C route should be modified to take advantage of the tram extension - there's really not much point running it all the way to West Terrace now.

Xaragmata

#1087 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Not the biggest story, but handy for me - they appear to be constructing an indented bus stop on James Schofield Drive, behind IKEA.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1088 Post by Vee » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:12 am

Good news on the rollout of Real-Time information to more than 3500 Adelaide Metro bus stops and the tram service. Check the accompanying map to view current coverage.
Any news yet on the app version?
Transport Services Minister Chloe Fox said passengers now using buses in the North Eastern suburbs, Inner Northern and Southern suburbs or any Tram service can access real-time passenger information with more than 3500 stops now connected to Adelaide Metro’s Real-Time Passenger Information system.

“Following the successful release for buses travelling through the three O-Bahn interchanges; Klemzig, Paradise and Tea Tree Plaza, the State Government has now connected Real-Time to more than 3,500 stops across the network."

“The information shows not only how far away a specific bus is to their stop, but also if that bus is wheelchair accessible.”

Using any internet-capable device, commuters can log onto the Adelaide Metro website, access the real-time information and know exactly when their service will be arriving via GPS technology installed in vehicles as part of the Metrocard ticketing system.

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) continues to progressively roll out the Real-Time system to more than 8000 bus, train and tram stops and stations across the Adelaide Metro network.
Customers can check the Adelaide Metro website to see if their stops have been added to the real-time system.
Link, including map.
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... ia-Release

More on Real-Time Passenger Information, including access and info on Stop Codes.
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... nformation

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1089 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:34 am

Once the rollout is complete, the developers will get access to the data. Adelaide Metro is not developing its own app AFAIK.

Aidan

#1090 Post by Aidan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Norman wrote:Once the rollout is complete, the developers will get access to the data. Adelaide Metro is not developing its own app AFAIK.
I can confirm that Adelaide Metro is not developing its own app. They see no point in doing so as there are now plenty of developers eager to make use of the data once it's available.

Faulkick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1091 Post by Faulkick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm quite impressed by the live tracking. Words almost perfectly. I've used it twice a day every day for at least a month now, and only twice has it been wrong, and even then I don't know if it was on my end of Adelaide Metro's end.

Will be good once there are some better apps out there though, having to wait a minute for each update is annoying.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1092 Post by Tonsley213 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Faulkick wrote:I'm quite impressed by the live tracking. Words almost perfectly. I've used it twice a day every day for at least a month now, and only twice has it been wrong, and even then I don't know if it was on my end of Adelaide Metro's end.

Will be good once there are some better apps out there though, having to wait a minute for each update is annoying.
TransitTimes+ on iPhone has it.

PeFe

#1093 Post by PeFe » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm

I was on the a tram coming back from Glenelg last night and there was an "inspector" (well something official looking) telling people that they had to actually buy tickets ! Some people looked shocked and slightly dazed, obviously they believed that the tram and trains are free (except if you have to go through Adelaide station)
Maybe Adelaide Metro should try a little more fare enforcement to lift revenue, starting with the Mawson Lakes to Gawler section of the Gawler line. The last time I was up there even people in suits were fare evading !

jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1094 Post by jimbly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Nice article in InDaily about the RealTime Tracking
Real-time data will change the way you catch buses.
It’s already changed my experience – for the better.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2014/01/03/r ... -bus-info/

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1095 Post by Vee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:56 pm

jimbly wrote:Nice article in InDaily about the RealTime Tracking
Real-time data will change the way you catch buses.
It’s already changed my experience – for the better.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2014/01/03/r ... -bus-info/
I love the TransitTimes+ app for real-time tracking.
Accurate data helps planning, as the writer suggests. It's particularly useful where you have a choice of options eg on a Go route with alternating routes saved (interleaved) in your favourites. And for special events, less familiar routes.

It was very handy on NYE after the T20 Big Bash match and NYE celebrations on the riverbank - showed the late run services, intervals and last buses.

Not everyone has a smartphone, knows about the app etc but folk are willing to share information with other passengers.
Is there enough publicity about the real-time tracking functionality? (Locals, country/interstate visitors, O/S tourists)