News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1486 Post by PeFe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:51 pm

The "black transport obelisk" of Adelaide........confounding locals with its true meaning.......remnants of a previous civilization (yes one that took public transport before there was a car in every home).....2017 A Transport Odyssey.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1487 Post by Goodsy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:33 pm

PeFe wrote:The "black transport obelisk" of Adelaide........confounding locals with its true meaning.......remnants of a previous civilization (yes one that took public transport before there was a car in every home).....2017 A Transport Odyssey.
Must mean we're ready to evolve into a higher form of civilisation

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1488 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Norman wrote:Some pics from today

They definitely look a lot better than the ones on the O-Bahn, so well done DPTI. I hope that these get rolled out to more major stops in the city.

Thanks for posting Norman. They look really good, hope to see them rolled out throughout the city and be well maintained.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1489 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon May 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Outer Harbor, Grange and Gawler train lines temporary closures June long weekend.
When: From Saturday 10 June 2017 to Monday 12 June 2017.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... ng-weekend
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

PeFe

#1490 Post by PeFe » Mon May 22, 2017 4:27 pm

An article from the Adelaide Review discussing the "latest" to turn Grenfell/Currie Streets into a "limited"transit mall.
Slings and Arrows: Return of the Car Ban Plan

A state government plan to limit cars from the east–west Grenfell and Currie Street run between Hindmarsh and Light Squares is slipping into higher gear behind the scenes.
The vision, which sees the choked roadway reduced to a public transport/pedestrians/cycle path city thoroughfare, has been fermenting for some years. Councillors have seen concept visuals, but those who wished to take away phone-snaps were disciplined.

Adelaide MP Rachel Sanderson had to formally call for a briefing last year – which said something about how much the government was sharing with the opposition. The concept ramped up several years ago with creation of priority bus lanes and prioritised traffic lights. It resulted in rush-hour morning and night traffic jostling with an endless choke of buses, which demanded right of way, created occasional gridlock – and lots of near-misses with cars and bikes. Council’s February 2017 papers revealed that the plan is now gathering pace: “explore the possibility of redeveloping Currie-Grenfell Streets as a public transport boulevard.”

This is code for ‘Minister now exerting pressure on council to share costs even though it was never a council idea and transport is not a local government responsibility.’ Another aspect is to improve O-Bahn access into and out of the city’s heart.

Full article : http://adelaidereview.com.au/opinion/ge ... -ban-plan/

Nathan

#1491 Post by Nathan » Mon May 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Ash Whitefly is always writing about anti-car conspiracies. About 2/3rds of his articles for Adelaide Review are about the plight of the poor motorist.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1492 Post by SRW » Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Meanwhile motorists have had another win with the upcoming restoration of right hand turns into the Market car park on Grote Street.
Keep Adelaide Weird

potsandpans
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1493 Post by potsandpans » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Does anyone know why, when traveling on the Seaford line, the air-con is switched off between Hallet Cove Beach and Lonsdale? It's just for a few seconds, but it happens every time and I've always wanted to know why.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1494 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:19 pm

potsandpans wrote:Does anyone know why, when traveling on the Seaford line, the air-con is switched off between Hallet Cove Beach and Lonsdale? It's just for a few seconds, but it happens every time and I've always wanted to know why.
That's the point where it travels between two electrified sections, where the substation is. I'm not sure what the technical term is, but the area in the middle is an isolated zone. An electrical engineer would be able to give a better answer.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#1495 Post by Haso » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Norman wrote:
potsandpans wrote:Does anyone know why, when traveling on the Seaford line, the air-con is switched off between Hallet Cove Beach and Lonsdale? It's just for a few seconds, but it happens every time and I've always wanted to know why.
That's the point where it travels between two electrified sections, where the substation is. I'm not sure what the technical term is, but the area in the middle is an isolated zone. An electrical engineer would be able to give a better answer.
It's not me but Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_line

A neutral section or phase break is used, consisting of two section breaks back-to-back with a short section of overhead line that belongs to neither grid. If the two grids are synchronised this stretch of line is energised (by either supply) and trains run through it normally. If the two supplies are not synchronised it is disconnected from the supplies, leaving it electrically dead, ensuring that the two grids cannot be connected to each other.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1496 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:59 am

Nathan wrote:Ash Whitefly is always writing about anti-car conspiracies. About 2/3rds of his articles for Adelaide Review are about the plight of the poor motorist.
The only thing I can think of that ISN'T in the favour of the motorist in this city is that our comparable traffic infringement fines are the most expensive in the whole country. By design and sadly mentality, we are a car dominant city :( In no other mainland capital city would anybody even think to travel through the city centre to get from one side to the other!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1497 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:00 am

People drive through the CBD because it's quicker shorter eg it's 7km Torrensville to Norwood via CBD and 11km via Greenhill Rd 60% longer. Detouring around the CBD and parklands is annoying. What's a useful solution to stop people taking the easiest route via the CBD?

claybro

#1498 Post by claybro » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:30 am

Torrens_5022 wrote:People drive through the CBD because it's quicker shorter eg it's 7km Torrensville to Norwood via CBD and 11km via Greenhill Rd 60% longer. Detouring around the CBD and parklands is annoying. What's a useful solution to stop people taking the easiest route via the CBD?
Fix up the ring route by removing the intersections. Expensive-yes, but probably the only way.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#1499 Post by ml69 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:41 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Nathan wrote:Ash Whitefly is always writing about anti-car conspiracies. About 2/3rds of his articles for Adelaide Review are about the plight of the poor motorist.
The only thing I can think of that ISN'T in the favour of the motorist in this city is that our comparable traffic infringement fines are the most expensive in the whole country. By design and sadly mentality, we are a car dominant city :( In no other mainland capital city would anybody even think to travel through the city centre to get from one side to the other!
Also note that Adelaide has by far the largest CBD area in Australia (when you include North Adelaide and the parklands), so it's hard to avoid especially if you are going east to west and vice versa.

Unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1500 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:People drive through the CBD because it's quicker shorter eg it's 7km Torrensville to Norwood via CBD and 11km via Greenhill Rd 60% longer. Detouring around the CBD and parklands is annoying. What's a useful solution to stop people taking the easiest route via the CBD?
I'm not militatly anti-car, but I do think they're pretty inefficient as a mode of transport. Much more efficient at gaining pollies the votes than solving our congestion issues.
I think of cars as a necessary evil. Far too many people need their car because of the terrible Public transport system, not to mention tradies needing a ute and delivery drivers needing vans/trucks to just unilaterally ban them from the city centre, but perhaps a $10 charge to cross through the city? If you're just visiting, no fee, only if you're using the CBD as a thru-route to get somewhere else. Use that money to remove the holdups on the Ring Route. A carrot and stick approach.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.