News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1621 Post by crawf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Verbatim9 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:02 am
paullarry wrote:
Norman wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:35 pm
Some pics from today

They definitely look a lot better than the ones on the O-Bahn, so well done DPTI. I hope that these get rolled out to more major stops in the city.
Oh great, by this passengers can travel from one place to another with ease. This type of facility should be available in other cities.
how good is he wrote:I see that it looks like real time updates. So do the buses/DPTI use GPS signals/wifi to automatically send info to the signs?
The new stops have been installed for a while now. Real time travel information has been available for the last few years.

Other Australian cities have had real time stops in place since 2014, but the Adelaide ones look great.

More information below on how the real time data is released and used

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Developer-Information
Adelaide had them well before then. There used to be 'Smart Stops' right along Henley Beach Road, Currie/Grenfell St and Norwood Parade which showed real time information.

Hard to find any pics, though heres an example from last decade.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1622 Post by Algernon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:43 pm

When I was driving 10+ years ago we had those smart stops. It was linked in with your BCU. When concentrating on driving it's an easy thing to forget to plug in the run number and whether the trip was on the up and down. Would confuse the shit out of the RTPIS unit that reported your location to the stops.

Just a side note, the scarf wearers as PTD and other government acronyms used to pronounce RTPIS "aaarr-ti-pis" like it was some cultured greek tragedy. The bus drivers used to smash the things and call it "the f* rat'spiss". Bit of culture there :hilarious:

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#1623 Post by Haso » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Adelaide counting the cost of 'trailing the pack' in public transport

An interesting article at ABC news web site - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-16/a ... ay/9551266 and tomorrow we will find out how that might look in the future...or at least have some ideas.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1624 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Haso wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:53 pm

An interesting article at ABC news web site - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-16/a ... ay/9551266 and tomorrow we will find out how that might look in the future...or at least have some ideas.
We'll probably go further behind. I'm expecting the Libs:

- At best privatise the train (and tram) network. This might see that Airport tram go ahead as a premium service (ala Airtrain/Skybus/Airport Link), where it'll be $40 for a return ticket. At worst, they may start ripping up lines given their anti-PT stance. Either way the Gawler line electrification is dead, as are the railway crossing removals.
- Totally botch the right hand turn from KWS to North Tce. This will see Sanderson completely hammered in 2022

I shudder to think what damage the Libs will do to our public transport system given their previous track record (and with an incoming treasurer as incompetent as Lucas).

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1625 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Haso wrote:

- At best privatise the train (and tram) network. This might see that Airport tram go ahead as a premium service (ala Airtrain/Skybus/Airport Link), where it'll be $40 for a return ticket. At worst, they may start ripping up lines given their anti-PT stance. Either way the Gawler line electrification is dead, as are the railway crossing removals.
- Totally botch the right hand turn from KWS to North Tce. This will see Sanderson completely hammered in 2022

I shudder to think what damage the Libs will do to our public transport system given their previous track record (and with an incoming treasurer as incompetent as Lucas).
Well I guess we will continue to go backwards in terms of PT investment now :( ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SBD

#1626 Post by SBD » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:18 pm
Haso wrote:

Our bus network is already privately operated - would the world really fall apart if the trains and trams were operated by the same people?

(that's a genuine question - I rarely use either as my commute is less than half an hour, primarily across the radial transport routes rather than along them)

Patrick_27

#1627 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Haso wrote:

Well I guess we will continue to go backwards in terms of PT investment now :( ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even a arm-chair Liberal could admit that South Australians fucked up big time today.

Waewick

#1628 Post by Waewick » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Haso wrote:

This kind of stuff is just embarassing and hysterical nonsense.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1629 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:36 am

Waewick wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Haso wrote:

This kind of stuff is just embarassing and hysterical nonsense.
Let’s hope I’m proved wrong then

Waewick

#1630 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:26 pm

The only way is to hold them accountable.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1631 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:26 pm
The only way is to hold them accountable.
I'm sure many of us on here will be.

Pisoni as transport is a concern though.

ChillyPhilly

#1632 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:13 pm

It's not that hysterical, rather it's true. Terrible outcome for public transport and related recent progress.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#1633 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:It's not that hysterical, rather it's true. Terrible outcome for public transport and related recent progress.
It is completely hysterical. We've got some people on here with their skirts over the head based on 20 yr old views on a political party that just came into office.

Its a hysterical as some of the people who thought same sex marriage would lead to people marrying their dogs.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1634 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:It's not that hysterical, rather it's true. Terrible outcome for public transport and related recent progress.
It is completely hysterical. We've got some people on here with their skirts over the head based on 20 yr old views on a political party that just came into office.

Its a hysterical as some of the people who thought same sex marriage would lead to people marrying their dogs.
Well you know what they say about old dogs - and we'll have the same treasurer the Libs installed in 1993

ml69
Legendary Member!

#1635 Post by ml69 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:34 pm

So the Liberals transport policy says they will not proceed with the AdeLINK tram extensions into the suburbs, but instead "A Marshall Liberal Government will investigate the use of high capacity electric buses. This would
be an innovation to demonstrate that clean, quiet public transport is more suitable than the much higher cost of constructing tramways and operating trams. It would also avoid the negative impacts on the street amenity, on-street parking, traffic movements, the rest of the bus network and local businesses" (quoted directly from the Liberal website).

I wonder whether they are alluding to something similar to this proposed Brisbane Metro bus system?
'Twin-bend' electric buses that will drive Brisbane's metro

Electric-powered buses almost 30 metres long could move Brisbane commuters in the new "metro" service announced by Brisbane City Council on Saturday.
While the council calls it a "metro" service, it is new-generation buses that would shift the people.
Full story: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... urzpm.html

Looks like a pretty reasonable solution to me, with capital costs a small fraction of a tram option. Must, however, be coupled with high quality bus stops (which resemble the tram stops) and have real-time arrival information. Also would need to run on bus lanes during morning and afternoon peak times.