News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1531 Post by bits » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 am

Llessur2002 wrote: Edit: Another question that's maybe been asked before. But can our off-the-shelf system be converted so that instead of carrying a balance on a metrocard which periodically recharges, it simply charges the linked credit card on a trip by trip basis?
I suppose it takes time to confirm approval for the money transfer from the bank, which would delay people getting on.

Instead of what you say, why isnt the tap and go point not just a eftpos terminal i can stick my credit card against like i do at Coles or a parking meter. Again the delay for approval(or decline) would be the issue.

Those delays are not a concern when people are not stuck interacting with a tap point. Doing it on the smart phone prior to bus entry or immediately after bus entry would avoid the delay problem.

The metrocard to me just screams of internal currencies like magic mountain coins or theme park dollars which are not refundable. It is designed to charge the customer slightly more than they would have spent, leaving unused credit gaining interest and eventually simply never being used. It is an ugly cash grab.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1532 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 am

My understanding was that low-value tap and go transactions (such as these would be) are often not authorised immediately at the point of sale - here's an article from the UK, but I presume the set-up would be similar here:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/ ... nk-account

PeFe

#1533 Post by PeFe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:27 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
The metrocard to me just screams of internal currencies like magic mountain coins or theme park dollars which are not refundable. It is designed to charge the customer slightly more than they would have spent, leaving unused credit gaining interest and eventually simply never being used. It is an ugly cash grab.
The Adelaide Metrocard charges customers 30% less than the single fare........

Same for other Australian cities, I always buy a smart card to get the cheapest fares.

As for transport payment apps......most useful for the city you live in, not quite so good if you are a tourist (needing to downolad a new app for every city)
and terrible for overseas travel, you would pay international transaction fees on every purchase. Stick to smart cards overseas.....

ChillyPhilly

#1534 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 pm

I think Metrocard is due for a public re-education campaign. Like a refreshed push.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1535 Post by monotonehell » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:17 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 pm
I think Metrocard is due for a public re-education campaign. Like a refreshed push.
?

Almost everyone is using metrocards. What do you see needs to be promoted now?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly

#1536 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Maybe it's my side of town (I live in the north), but use of Metrocard seems fairly low, especially during the day.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1537 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:04 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm
Maybe it's my side of town (I live in the north), but use of Metrocard seems fairly low, especially during the day.
Interesting. Are they not regular commuters perhaps? Or lack the funds to "buy in bulk"? (Not expecting you to know, just speculating.)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1538 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 am

Interesting indeed. Every time I catch a bus, nearly every single passenger uses a metrocard.

I guess it also depends on what time or day, non peak periods would attract alot of casual users.

ChillyPhilly

#1539 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am

monotonehell wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm
Interesting. Are they not regular commuters perhaps? Or lack the funds to "buy in bulk"? (Not expecting you to know, just speculating.)
I'm not sure. I'd almost be inclined to say that for some, it's a cultural thing; i.e., 'buy a ticket' is the norm. But I'm just speculating as well. Hopefully it improves now that Salisbury station has its own gates and Metrocard machine. Just keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get vandalised.

PeFe

#1540 Post by PeFe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 am

Article from The Advertiser regrading punctuality of Adelaide public transport.
Adelaide Metro data reveals which bus, train and tram services are likely to run late

COMMUTERS who catch the bus from the inner northern and southern suburbs have the most valid reason to be late for work.

Those services are the least punctual based on analysis of public transport running times by the Sunday Mail.

Latest 2017 figures show buses in the North-South region, operated by Light-City, ran to schedule 88.5 per cent of the time.

By comparison, SouthLink operated buses in the Outer South region had an on-time rate of 95.8 per cent.

Meanwhile, train passengers using the Outer Harbor line waited longest for their service, which ran to schedule 87.2 per cent of the time.

The Seaford line was the most punctual at 96.3 per cent. The Transport Department, however, says rail projects caused delays on the Outer Harbor and Gawler lines.

According to the Adelaide Metro website, trains and trams are considered on time if they arrive at the destination within five minutes of the time stated on the timetable.

Buses are also considered on time if they are within five minutes of the time stated on the timetable.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said Adelaide Metro network punctuality had improved “significantly” from 90.4 per cent in 2013.

“More of our buses, trams and trains are running on time across the network,” he said.

Mr Mullighan said that, until March this year, trains and trams were considered on-time if they arrived at their destination within five minutes and 59 seconds.

He said the State Government was trialling “bus priority” at traffic lights where an approaching bus was given a green light under the Operation Moving Traffic initiative.

Trams between Glenelg and the Adelaide Entertainment Centre were the best performing services for punctuality, running to schedule 97.7 per cent of the time.

This service will expand with lines to the Festival Plaza and East End as part of the $80 million tram extension project, which is due to be completed early next year.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 12d49a5a55

Patrick_27

#1541 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 pm

My personal problem with buses and other forms of public transport running late is the fact that Adelaide Metro offer and promote the use of Journey Planner as a method of getting around. What's the point if one bus is going to be 10 minutes late and the planner hasn't allowed that? I've found that even when a bus is five minutes late (which this article states is deemed to be on-time) it can destroy an entire trip planned. Especially with connecting buses to the East which tend to be either on the dot or sometimes a minute or so early. This is why I find trams and trains to be more consistent (especially trains) because they have right of way at all times (trams most of the time) you know the accuracy of their timetables is quite good with the odd exception.

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#1542 Post by Verbatim9 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Mobile Ticketing Trial Survey here -

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Mobile- ... trial/Home

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1543 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Interesting.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1544 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 pm

I started using the MetroMate app for real time tracking. Its helped a lot.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

[Shuz]

#1545 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:25 pm

MetroMate is about as reliable as our power supply. The "real-time" doesn't take into account traffic flow in peak hour especially.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.