News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1576 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 am

Adelaide Metro is already trialling payments by mobile phone, although that bit was missed by the media over the weekend.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1577 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 am

Thought I'd do some digging to see if SA Best have any public transport policies to speak of. Emailed their office and received the following fairly lacklustre idea as an example of "where they're heading in this space". But, at least they got back to me I suppose...
SA-BEST candidates for Heysen and Hammond have announced a commitment of $3.9 million to drive public transport services across the Murraylands and towns south of Mt Barker into a strong interconnected network.

Heysen’s John Illingworth and Hammond’s Kelly Gladigau say their Connecting Communities Transport Plan will breathe new life into communities at risk of fraying socially and economically.

“People in both electorates have told us about difficulties they face in finding work, getting to work, and travelling to service centres and medical appointments, because public transport services don’t exist, buses are infrequent, or the costs of private services are too high,” said Kelly.

“Connecting with their communities for meetings and to join in sporting activities and events are out of the question and some can’t even get to see family members and friends.”

The CCTP links Tailem Bend, Monteith, Jervois, Wellington, Mannum, Swan Reach, Meningie, Karoonda, Pinnaroo, and Coonalpyn, with Murray Bridge, and improves existing services between Murray Bridge and Mount Barker.

Connections between Stirling and Mount Barker via Mylor and Echunga, Mount Barker and Strathalbyn via Echunga Macclesfield & Meadows, Strathalbyn and Goolwa with a Finniss option, and Mount Barker and Langhorne Creek via Wistow and Strathalbyn, are other services of the network.

SA-Best will commit $3.9 million to a 12 month trial and then assess the results to see if the CCTP should be extended.

SA-BEST leader, Nick Xenophon, said if Kelly and John are elected and the party is in a position of holding the balance of power, the transport plan will be a key negotiating issue for the next government.

“We will make this happen for the benefit of these communities,” said Nick. “As safe Liberal seats, they have been ignored for too long.”

The plan has been developed with input of a senior figure from the transport industry. Implementation would be put to tender, giving providers opportunities to recommend suitably sized buses for the services and schedules.

John Illingworth said the plan was the first meaningful transport measure to address the growing needs of an ageing community and a raft of social and mental health issues in the regions.

“Social isolation is a big issue in the electorates,” he said. “Problems of depression and anxiety are indiscriminate. Social isolation was identified in a Uni of SA study of suicide among ageing farmers in 2016 as a threat to wellbeing and an increased the risk of suicide,” said John.

“Improved public transport options offer opportunities to break the cycles that lead to harm and reduce long-term employment.

“They support the goals of South Australia’s new Strategic Mental Health Strategy.

“The plan offers far-ranging positive benefits overall and builds resilience into our rural communities.”

John and Kelly said the cost of delivering the services, developed with expertise from within the public transport sector, would be offset partially by ticket sale revenue.

“When the financial impacts of addressing unemployment, mental health issues and the needs of an ageing community – all shaped to some degree by transport – are considered, this is a great investment,” John said.

Nick Xenophon added: “The transport plan was another example of SA-BEST candidates listening to community concerns on the ground and moving to fix a long-standing problem.”
From: https://sabest.org.au/media/just-the-ti ... n-the-map/

SBD

#1578 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 am
Thought I'd do some digging to see if SA Best have any public transport policies to speak of. Emailed their office and received the following fairly lacklustre idea as an example of "where they're heading in this space". But, at least they got back to me I suppose...
From: https://sabest.org.au/media/just-the-ti ... n-the-map/
Why do you call that lacklustre? I have relatives from that area - they drive to Mount Barker to catch a bus to Adelaide as they don't consider the Murray Bridge service acceptable! A local bus service that connected those communities would be a brilliant step forward. A one-year trial only serves people who already have an alternative though, because you don't sell your car or move to a rural town based on an essential transport service that might go away in a year.

The inner mid-north (Kapunda, Eudunda, Tarlee, Hamley Bridge, Freeling) could benefit from a similar regional bus service connecting in to Gawler and/or Nuriootpa too. Housing is apparently quite cheap in Eudunda, but getting to any services (even Centrelink) is not.

I think it's good to see candidates who are standing for things that will benefit the community in their electorates, rather than candidates who are standing for the party, and it doesn't matter which seats they are elected in, as long as there's 24 of the same colour.

Llessur2002

#1579 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm
Why do you call that lacklustre? I have relatives from that area - they drive to Mount Barker to catch a bus to Adelaide as they don't consider the Murray Bridge service acceptable! A local bus service that connected those communities would be a brilliant step forward. A one-year trial only serves people who already have an alternative though, because you don't sell your car or move to a rural town based on an essential transport service that might go away in a year.

The inner mid-north (Kapunda, Eudunda, Tarlee, Hamley Bridge, Freeling) could benefit from a similar regional bus service connecting in to Gawler and/or Nuriootpa too. Housing is apparently quite cheap in Eudunda, but getting to any services (even Centrelink) is not.

I think it's good to see candidates who are standing for things that will benefit the community in their electorates, rather than candidates who are standing for the party, and it doesn't matter which seats they are elected in, as long as there's 24 of the same colour.
I'm not saying that there's anything particularly wrong with the idea but at only a month and a half away from the state election I'd like to know more from the main contenders about their public transport policies - a 12 month trial of a regional bus service is hardly a groundbreaking announcement. I'd have thought it would be a no-brainer for each of the political parties to set out a visionary stance on rail electrification, tram network expansion and o-bahn expansion/upgrades (as well as regional services) but at present only Labor have cobbled together anything approaching a plan in this area.

Surely it would be so easy for either of the other two parties to try to get one over Labor by just setting out a timetable for full rail electrification or a tram line to the airport (maybe even jumping on Downer's offer to fund it privately - that would surely be right up the Libs' street?) but yet only 6-odd weeks to go any there's not been a peep. Fine, let's have a trial of a few regional buses but that's hardly going to drive investment, construction or have any major impact to the State. We have some massive and obvious looming challenges with our infrastructure as well as huge potential to drive transport-oriented residential developments - who's providing the solutions?

It is exactly announcements like this that fill me with dread that Adelaide is just going to stagnate as soon as we get a change in government and that all of the recent progress will grind to a halt.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Shuz]

#1580 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 am

I think the parties are holding off until the writs are officially called. Sure they're campaigning now - but it's been mostly low level, tokenism public appearances sort of stuff. Give it another 2 -3 weeks and they'll* start churning out the big picture policies.

*Not the Liberals, because they're shit.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#1581 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:22 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 am
I think the parties are holding off until the writs are officially called. Sure they're campaigning now - but it's been mostly low level, tokenism public appearances sort of stuff. Give it another 2 -3 weeks and they'll* start churning out the big picture policies.

I imagine there is a bit political risk in revealing too much too soon. Politics is the antithesis of good government. Revealing a "good" policy idea/plan early gives your opposition time to consider it and find the weak spots. Then they can either (or both) ramp up their vocal "this won't work because..." story, carefully timed to hit the most voters, or "yeah, their idea is OK, but if we did THIS a bit different it would be even BETTER".

The state and eventual policy implementation could be improved by all sides working together as a team and improving the ideas regardless of who's idea it was first, but that is not how politics works. If Liberal or SA-BEST come out with a really brilliant idea that doesn't cost too much, Government (ALP) can just put it in place and say "look what we did for South Australia".

Electrifying the suburban railways is not really a stunning policy decision, more a timing issue, and perhaps dependent on energy policy.

No party has announced any commitment to funding more of the North-South Corridor, nor any proposal to connect it to the South Eastern Freeway. There are enough conceptual options for that one that each party could alienate or gain support from different segments of the community! e.g. Upgrade Portrush and Grand Junction Roads, Upgrade Cross Road and Emerson junction, built the MATS plan's Foothills Expressway (Crafers/Belair/Darlington), MATS Plan Hills Freeway (curving through inner east and northern suburbs to Hindmarsh), a new variation near Strathalbyn, and probably others. How many parties do we have? Liberals have proposed a concept for removing freight trains from the inner suburbs and been generally canned for it. A Park-and-ride proposal was canned on this website too, because it meant commuters still used cars.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1582 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

The Labor party has committed funds ($80m I think) to the Regency Road to Pym Street section of the NS Motorway. That was in the last state budget. They are just waiting on the rest of the money ($320m) to come from the feds.

EBG

#1583 Post by EBG » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:26 pm

In reply to Llessur 2002, there was a perfectly good train line from Gawler to Kapunda that has simply been allowed to rot away because no party has been prepared to do even the most basic maintenance. Once electrification has been completed to Gawler, the existing 3000 class diesel units could be freed up to run a shuttle connection from Gawler to Kapunda.

PeFe

#1584 Post by PeFe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 pm

The price of a 28 day Metrocard is coming down......$99...that is so cheap (Incredibly cheap by Australian standards)

From The Advertiser
Premier Jay Weatherill announces cheaper public transport tickets for regular commuters

EGULAR public transport users will travel cheaper from April – but those who hop on and off ad hoc won’t see any price relief.

Premier Jay Weatherill on Friday announced a cut to the price of a 28-day Adelaide Metro pass from $124.50 to $99.

The concession price will drop from $62.20 to $49.

The State Government will also introduce a 14-day pass, costing $60. A concession version will cost $29.50.

The changes will cost the Government $12 million over four years.

They will take effect from April 3.

Mr Weatherill said it made Adelaide the cheapest city in the nation to catch a bus, tram or train.

Costs will also drop for students and concession holders.

However, commuters who buy single trips or use metrocards on an ad hoc basis will not receive any cost cuts.

Asked why the Government did not choose to cut costs for all passengers, Mr Weatherill said the new scheme was intended to encourage people to use pubic transport more regularly.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... cf394ad446

Llessur2002

#1585 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:48 pm

It was incredibly cheap by most standards before the reduction - and yet if I had a dollar for every time someone had moaned about how expensive PT is I think I would have been able to fund one of the tram extensions myself....

PeFe

#1586 Post by PeFe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Also the introduction of a 14 day pass is a great idea but should be accompanied by a daily cap on the Metrocard, replacing the need to make a decision about whether you buy a daily ticket or stick with the card.

Make the Metrocard daily cap $10 and a daily cash ticket can $11 or $12.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1587 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm

[Shuz] wrote:

I noticed SABest's transport policy response decried as lacklustre above. At Least they have a Public Transport Policy. I have emailed and tweeted the SA Libs multiple times asking about their PT policy. quick as a flash...nothing. Well no policy means no vote from me. :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Waewick

#1588 Post by Waewick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm
[Shuz] wrote:

I noticed SABest's transport policy response decried as lacklustre above. At Least they have a Public Transport Policy. I have emailed and tweeted the SA Libs multiple times asking about their PT policy. quick as a flash...nothing. Well no policy means no vote from me. :wallbash:
I find that a particularly scary way to vote, but hey its your life.

but I mentioned here, at the moment there is no policy for PT that I can find anywhere for the Libs, their focus appears to be outside the CBD or with that Park'n'ride (which is the same as Labor)

I would note that no party has actually released a specific PT policy however (I know Labor have an unfunded Tram Network plan that is technically their plan for SA) outside the Park'n'ride

so I guess that leaves you voting for Mr x? or some other single policy party?

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1589 Post by Torrens_5022 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:36 pm

The Metrocard needs a daily cap and it needs to be under $7 for a full fare, Myki Zone 1&2 is $8.60 for comparison. Metrocard fares are about 2/3 of the paper ticket so a full fare daily Metrocard fare should be $6.75 the paper ticket is $10.20.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1590 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Waewick wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm
Kasey771 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm
[Shuz] wrote:

I find that a particularly scary way to vote, but hey its your life.

but I mentioned here, at the moment there is no policy for PT that I can find anywhere for the Libs, their focus appears to be outside the CBD or with that Park'n'ride (which is the same as Labor)

I would note that no party has actually released a specific PT policy however (I know Labor have an unfunded Tram Network plan that is technically their plan for SA) outside the Park'n'ride

so I guess that leaves you voting for Mr x? or some other single policy party?
Neither Liberal orLabour party have yet releaesed most of their major policies.With the writs to be issued after tomorrow you can expect to hear these anooncement over the next 3 weeks-only then will you be in a position to make your decision which way you are going to vote.