News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1456 Post by Goodsy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 am

[Shuz] wrote: This would minimise the gradients required for both freight and passenger lines going overhead Park Terrace and possibly avoid having to rebuild the Salisbury Highway rail bridge. However, it would also mean that North Lane be made a dead end and the Eureka Tavern loses its site access from Park Terrace.

integrate the Eureka tavern into the train station

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1457 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Now i'm just spit balling (and trying to think outside the box), but what about upgrading Gawler street the whole way from Park Terrace to Salisbury Highway and simply removing the crossing all together?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1458 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Hooligan wrote:Now i'm just spit balling (and trying to think outside the box), but what about upgrading Gawler street the whole way from Park Terrace to Salisbury Highway and simply removing the crossing all together?
The idea has some merit, there's also Commercial Rd on a similar alignment. Not sure how well it will work with all the through traffic coming down Waterloo Cnr Rd having to do a dog leg down Salisbury Hyw.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1459 Post by bits » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:33 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Alternative solution to Park Terrace grade seperation is to do a half / half job, where the line is partially elevated and the road partially lowered
Sounds very similar to what I said :)

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1460 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 pm

bits wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Alternative solution to Park Terrace grade seperation is to do a half / half job, where the line is partially elevated and the road partially lowered
Sounds very similar to what I said :)
Yes, but I believe you advocated for the rail to under, rather than over. I advocate going over as it also maximize performance efficiencies of the suburban rail network as when the train comes to a stop it is assisted by forces of gravity uphill and thwn when accelerating after stopping it moves on quicker on the downhill slope.

The cheap and nasty option would be to upgrade Gawler Street and redirect to Salisbury Highway but that would just piss too many people off and that section of Salisbury Highway would end up carrying an extra 18,600 cars through the underpass. You want to decrease congestion, not add to it!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1461 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:58 pm

bits wrote:
SBD wrote:Daily average flows might not be as significant as hourly peak flows.
Complex surrounding intersections and pedestrian usage likely also count.

Eg
1)Diagonal Rd many cars, extremely close to signalized major intersections and very close to a major pedestrian hub(I would regard its pedestrian problem lower than Salisbury however). Lengthy consistent delays to motorists due to complex intersection arrangement.
2)Park Terrace Salisbury few cars but the road is extremely close to 2 signalized major intersections, a bus interchange, business driveways and is right in a major pedestrian hub. Site of the most major catastrophic accident caused by train in the state/country? Lengthy consistent delays to motorists due to complex intersection arrangement.
3)Brighton Rd many cars, not close to signalized or major intersections, not in a pedestrian hub, only a few minor drive ways to deal with.
4)Torrens Rd many cars, close to a single signalized T-intersection, not in a pedestrian hub, only a few minor driveways to deal with.
5)Kings Rd has a bunch of cars, but the road is dead straight, high speed and with no close intersections or drive ways and basically no pedestrians other than what the train itself created.

PS surely Cross Rd will be resolved within the North-South Motorway project.
I'd have thought Granville would be up there for the country?

Aidan

#1462 Post by Aidan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

With modern electric trains there's little gain from raising the stations. And realigning the railway is too disruptive.

Much better to stick a box culvert under the railway and divert Park Terrace through it. A few dozen parking spaces would be lost, but they can easily be replaced. Alternatively a bridge could be used — it would require longer approaches, but people could park under them.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1463 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:17 pm

build the station off site then just cut and cover it into place - takes far less time and is much cheaper
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Aidan

#1464 Post by Aidan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Anything that involves rebuilding the station would take far more time and be much more expensive.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1465 Post by bits » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 am

[Shuz] wrote: Yes, but I believe you advocated for the rail to under, rather than over. I advocate going over as it also maximize performance efficiencies of the suburban rail network as when the train comes to a stop it is assisted by forces of gravity uphill and thwn when accelerating after stopping it moves on quicker on the downhill slope.
A bridge for trains would need to be longer than for cars to get correct gradients.
Holding the weight of up to 3 trains(1 being freight) for 1km is surely a much bigger problem than holding the weight of a few cars/trucks for 50m.

In my head it seems simpler/cheaper to keep train weight on the ground and just deal with car/truck weight in the air for a short distance.
Building upwards with a bridge is ongoing costs to maintain/rebuild forever. Digging down is mostly a one off cost.

Keep the bridge work as short as possible with as little weight as possible and the ongoing costs are reduced.

[Shuz]

#1466 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:21 am

Fair point. Hadn't thought of that. I'm no engineer at all, but very worthy considerations. DPTI sure do have thier work cut out for them.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1467 Post by Vee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 am

New Setback Bus Lanes on Anzac Highway...
... aim to improve travel time and reliability for bus services, while maintaining access to all lanes as motorists approach an intersection.

This new type of bus lane starts and stops either side of a signalised intersection, allowing buses to pass extended traffic queuing and travel through the first green signal phase during peak traffic conditions, whilst maintaining existing traffic flow capacity through the intersection.

The new Setback Bus Lane will be piloted on Anzac Highway (between South Road and Greenhill Road city bound) and will be in operation from 7.00am to 10.00am Monday to Friday.
DPTI:
http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... cation.pdf

Good idea to encourage PT patronage and facilitate the movement of public transport. These bus setback lanes work well in other places eg Auckland.

I noted the usual hysterical response of local TV stations of chaos and interviewing folk in cars (not the bus passengers!). It was good to see some motorists who supported the idea.

Anzac Highway bus-only lane aims to shorten Adelaide morning commute
... improving public transport travel times into the Adelaide CBD.
The city-bound lane is between South and Greenhill roads and leaves two inbound lanes for other vehicles.

South Australian Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said traffic modelling suggested there could be faster bus travel without slowing other commuters.
"We haven't done this type of bus lane here in Adelaide before ... [it] doesn't operate all the way up to the intersections," he said.

"[Cars can] access all lanes at the intersections so they can take off again [when lights change]."
Liberals response:
Opposition frontbencher David Pisoni is sceptical about the suggestion other traffic will not be slowed.
"This is a bus lane that doesn't have any infrastructure to back it up ... such as bus inlets, so cars can pass buses when they're picking people up," he said.
ABCNews:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-30/a ... ns/8221526

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#1468 Post by Listy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:16 pm

So these bus lanes will be fairly similar to the short bus lane that's been at the Henley Beach Rd / South Road intersection for about the last 15 years?
https://goo.gl/maps/gLvWTN9WrZS2
Vee wrote:New Setback Bus Lanes on Anzac Highway...
... aim to improve travel time and reliability for bus services, while maintaining access to all lanes as motorists approach an intersection.

This new type of bus lane starts and stops either side of a signalised intersection, allowing buses to pass extended traffic queuing and travel through the first green signal phase during peak traffic conditions, whilst maintaining existing traffic flow capacity through the intersection.

The new Setback Bus Lane will be piloted on Anzac Highway (between South Road and Greenhill Road city bound) and will be in operation from 7.00am to 10.00am Monday to Friday.
DPTI:
http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... cation.pdf

Good idea to encourage PT patronage and facilitate the movement of public transport. These bus setback lanes work well in other places eg Auckland.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1469 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 pm

What do people think about getting rid of paper tickets for good and only allowing the use of Metro Cards?
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#1470 Post by thecityguy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 pm

It's what they do in Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk