News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1681 Post by PeFe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Future of dedicated express buses for Adelaide Oval in doubt after 2019.
From The ABC.
Adelaide's free 'footy express' future uncertain as SA Government withdraws funding

Adelaide's AFL clubs are unsure what will happen with public transport to football matches beyond next season as the South Australian Government looks to save money.

The future of the city's free "Footy Express" is up in the air beyond 2019, because Transport Minister Stephan Knoll has announced the Government is no longer prepared to bear the brunt of the costs for the popular winter service.

The transport is free-of-charge to football fans because it is funded by the state's Motor Accident Commission, the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs and the State Government.

"It's an essential service that needs to continue but we as a Government need to make a decision," Mr Knoll said.

Image

A train.
PHOTO: The service provides free transport to and from AFL matches at the Adelaide Oval. (ABC News)
RELATED STORY: Free Footy Express bus to continue in 2015 AFL seasonRELATED STORY: Union strike to cancel Saturday's Footy Express trains in Adelaide
Adelaide's AFL clubs are unsure what will happen with public transport to football matches beyond next season as the South Australian Government looks to save money.

The future of the city's free "Footy Express" is up in the air beyond 2019, because Transport Minister Stephan Knoll has announced the Government is no longer prepared to bear the brunt of the costs for the popular winter service.

The transport is free-of-charge to football fans because it is funded by the state's Motor Accident Commission, the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs and the State Government.

"It's an essential service that needs to continue but we as a Government need to make a decision," Mr Knoll said.

"Is this something that taxpayers should be funding, or should we be putting in our money to making sure we've got enough hospital beds, making sure we can build new roads, making sure that we can educate our kids?"

Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas said the Minister has gone back on his word and a guarantee he gave to Parliament in September.

"Up until recently, Stephan Knoll was promising everybody there'd be a solution," Mr Malinauskas said.

"Now we've learnt that footy-goers are now going to have to start driving or potentially pay more just to get to the game.

"We've already seen price hikes for food and drinks at Adelaide Oval. Now we're seeing price hikes for transportation costs."

The Opposition said footy fans would have to pay more, either through higher match ticket costs or by directly paying for buses, trains and trams.

Both the Adelaide and Port Adelaide clubs released statements saying they believed the existing Footy Express services would remain next season.

Full article : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-09/ ... r/10481608

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5575
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 738 times
Been thanked: 1257 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1682 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:25 pm

This Labor opposition is really no better than the Liberals were in opposition. The way they are phrasing it is to blame the current government for everything, including price rises for food and drinks. I also think the Footy Express services will continue, but it will be interesting to see how they will be funded.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3677
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1683 Post by rev » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:25 pm
This Labor opposition is really no better than the Liberals were in opposition. The way they are phrasing it is to blame the current government for everything, including price rises for food and drinks. I also think the Footy Express services will continue, but it will be interesting to see how they will be funded.
Labor and Liberals are as bad as each other. SMA, AFL and the two clubs should pay for it.
I find it interesting they've never had a cricket express.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1684 Post by how good is he » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm

A forgotten point is it was the MAC [The Motor Accident Commission] Footy Express which helped sponsor/subsidise the cost. Now that the Labour Govt has sold off/privatised The MAC, well.....?

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1685 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Adelaide Oval AFL fans face extra $5 ticket charge to cover public transport dated 31 October 2014
A PUBLIC transport “footy tax” of up to $50 a season will be a big blow to fans, Adelaide Oval’s chief says, warning that it will put a seat at AFL games “beyond the reach of some people”.
...
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the talks centred on how best to meet the costs of public transport while minimising the impact on fans.
...
Opposition transport spokesman Corey Wingard branded the measure a “fun tax”, accusing Labor of hitting already struggling South Australians with yet another tax.
It seems appropriate that the labels are "Minister" and "opposition spokesman" not "Liberal" and "Labor" as it makes it easier to reuse the quotes!

citywatcher
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1686 Post by citywatcher » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Norman wrote:This Labor opposition is really no better than the Liberals were in opposition. The way they are phrasing it is to blame the current government for everything, including price rises for food and drinks. I also think the Footy Express services will continue, but it will be interesting to see how they will be funded.
That's because when the govt was in opposition they said that such things would change when they got in
Well we knew they wouldn't but they're fair game to be called out on it after their statements

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk


rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3677
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1687 Post by rev » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:10 pm
Adelaide Oval AFL fans face extra $5 ticket charge to cover public transport dated 31 October 2014
A PUBLIC transport “footy tax” of up to $50 a season will be a big blow to fans, Adelaide Oval’s chief says, warning that it will put a seat at AFL games “beyond the reach of some people”.
...
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the talks centred on how best to meet the costs of public transport while minimising the impact on fans.
...
Opposition transport spokesman Corey Wingard branded the measure a “fun tax”, accusing Labor of hitting already struggling South Australians with yet another tax.
It seems appropriate that the labels are "Minister" and "opposition spokesman" not "Liberal" and "Labor" as it makes it easier to reuse the quotes!
That’s a bit rich coming from the SMA, who keep jacking up food and beverage prices.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1688 Post by PeFe » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:27 am

Oh where to put this hybrid tram/bus thingy?????
from The Advertiser
State Government looking at trackless trams for Adelaide

Image

TRAMS that travel without tracks could be part of Adelaide’s transport system, Transport Minister Stephan Knoll has revealed.

Adelaide Lord Mayor-elect Sandy Verschoor used her pre-election platform to support a council-led push for the State Government to invest in so-called trackless trams which travel on magnetic strips painted on the road.

Mr Knoll said he was keen on the trackless tram technology which involves autonomous trams powered by lithium-ion batteries.

“The government has an open mind on pursuing all new technologies to see if they can bring benefits to South Australia,” he said.

“Trackless trams are an exciting potential solution that could deliver better public transport at lower cost.”

Perth is looking at the technology to solve its inner-city population growth.

Mooted routes for the trackless tram include one to the Adelaide Airport, or into North Adelaide.

Ms Verschoor told The Advertiser she was thrilled Mr Knoll supported the push, and said she was keen to meet with him to discuss the idea further.

https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... 1814605fe0
Its a bus.....shaped and painted like a tram.....running on dedicated roadway with magnetic strips.........

And probably twice as expensive as standard BRT.....

And no doubt proprietary technology, designed by a Chinese company to "create a new transport mode"

Smart cities will be very wary of this....

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1689 Post by Aidan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:00 pm

It's not really a new mode. It's reminiscent of the Brisbane Metro.
The automation is new, but I'd rather see it applied to the existing tram system.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1690 Post by claybro » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:46 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:27 am
Oh where to put this hybrid tram/bus thingy?????
from The Advertiser
State Government looking at trackless trams for Adelaide

Image

TRAMS that travel without tracks could be part of Adelaide’s transport system, Transport Minister Stephan Knoll has revealed.

Adelaide Lord Mayor-elect Sandy Verschoor used her pre-election platform to support a council-led push for the State Government to invest in so-called trackless trams which travel on magnetic strips painted on the road.

Mr Knoll said he was keen on the trackless tram technology which involves autonomous trams powered by lithium-ion batteries.

“The government has an open mind on pursuing all new technologies to see if they can bring benefits to South Australia,” he said.

“Trackless trams are an exciting potential solution that could deliver better public transport at lower cost.”

Perth is looking at the technology to solve its inner-city population growth.

Mooted routes for the trackless tram include one to the Adelaide Airport, or into North Adelaide.

Ms Verschoor told The Advertiser she was thrilled Mr Knoll supported the push, and said she was keen to meet with him to discuss the idea further.

https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... 1814605fe0
Its a bus.....shaped and painted like a tram.....running on dedicated roadway with magnetic strips.........

And probably twice as expensive as standard BRT.....

And no doubt proprietary technology, designed by a Chinese company to "create a new transport mode"

Smart cities will be very wary of this....
This system is being considered to connect various inner metro suburbs of Perth and the universities via the CBD.-Not sure how serious the proposal is though. It seems to have significant support from the various University departments relevant to transport planning courses, with the original light rail options being kyboshed due to cost. At the very least, I think in future maybe overhead wires may become a thing of the past, even if they keep the rails.

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3045
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1691 Post by Nathan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 pm

The idea of not having to lay rails or any kind of other "track" in existing road sounds tempting, let's not forget how well Grenfell/Currie Streets have been holding up with buses. Running something the size of a tram on a normal city road isn't going to go be some panacea of cost savings.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1692 Post by SBD » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 pm
The idea of not having to lay rails or any kind of other "track" in existing road sounds tempting, let's not forget how well Grenfell/Currie Streets have been holding up with buses. Running something the size of a tram on a normal city road isn't going to go be some panacea of cost savings.
If they are supposed to run on roads but with a ride as smooth as a tram on rails, I assume they need new special road laid.

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 815
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1693 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 am

SBD wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 pm
Nathan wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 pm
The idea of not having to lay rails or any kind of other "track" in existing road sounds tempting, let's not forget how well Grenfell/Currie Streets have been holding up with buses. Running something the size of a tram on a normal city road isn't going to go be some panacea of cost savings.
If they are supposed to run on roads but with a ride as smooth as a tram on rails, I assume they need new special road laid.
I think the lane in which it is running will need to be constructed in concrete to prevent the wear and tear of buses on a bitumen surface. Will add somewhat to the cost but still be a heck of a lot cheaper than light rail.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1694 Post by PeFe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:37 am

ml69 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 am
I think the lane in which it is running will need to be constructed in concrete to prevent the wear and tear of buses on a bitumen surface. Will add somewhat to the cost but still be a heck of a lot cheaper than light rail.
But no doubt much more expensive than conventional BRT.......run long bendy buses with "new special bus stops"...no need for this pseudo-tram.

Westside
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:30 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1695 Post by Westside » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Not such a great advertisement for the system when the picture they use makes it look like the vehicle is out of control having jumped the median strip and is now heading to plough into a packed roadway full of cars. :shock:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests