News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1696 Post by rubberman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:45 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 am
SBD wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 pm
Nathan wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 pm
The idea of not having to lay rails or any kind of other "track" in existing road sounds tempting, let's not forget how well Grenfell/Currie Streets have been holding up with buses. Running something the size of a tram on a normal city road isn't going to go be some panacea of cost savings.
If they are supposed to run on roads but with a ride as smooth as a tram on rails, I assume they need new special road laid.
I think the lane in which it is running will need to be constructed in concrete to prevent the wear and tear of buses on a bitumen surface. Will add somewhat to the cost but still be a heck of a lot cheaper than light rail.
Is it cheaper? Has it been proven? Is it reliable?

Wouldn't trolley buses do the same thing with proven technology, and presumably cheaper vehicles?

I'm all for trying new things, but only if the numbers stack up. Like I say, how is this better than a trolley bus? Incidentally, trolley buses were originally called "trackless trams" too.

ml69
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1697 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:05 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:45 pm
ml69 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 am
SBD wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 pm

If they are supposed to run on roads but with a ride as smooth as a tram on rails, I assume they need new special road laid.
I think the lane in which it is running will need to be constructed in concrete to prevent the wear and tear of buses on a bitumen surface. Will add somewhat to the cost but still be a heck of a lot cheaper than light rail.
Is it cheaper? Has it been proven? Is it reliable?

Wouldn't trolley buses do the same thing with proven technology, and presumably cheaper vehicles?

I'm all for trying new things, but only if the numbers stack up. Like I say, how is this better than a trolley bus? Incidentally, trolley buses were originally called "trackless trams" too.
All good questions that need to be asked and answered.

As far as I'm aware, the system has only been piloted in one Chinese city at this stage.

You'd want to see the system implemented in a few different cities over a number of years to examine the pros and cons of daily operations, before considering adopting it here.

But in my opinion it could be a game-changing transport innovation.