News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Service & Policy

#1756 Post by Waewick » Wed May 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Well that was a quick u turn, i thought they said no to privatisation in their election pitches?

ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!

#1757 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Adelaide's network is too small for privatisation to be successful in any form.
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort
Legendary Member!

#1758 Post by Nort » Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Waewick wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:11 pm
Well that was a quick u turn, i thought they said no to privatisation in their election pitches?
Who would be silly enough to believe that the Libs wouldn't privatize anything they can?

rubberman
Legendary Member!

#1759 Post by rubberman » Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Waewick wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:11 pm
Just like they said they wouldn't privatise ETSA.

I'm not philosophically driven either way, but there needs to be a business or improved customer service case for doing this.

I have never seen a good before and after economic analysis of privatisation. Now that there's been a lot of privatisation, and over a long time, maybe the costs and benefits should be examined before proceeding.

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!

#1760 Post by Eurostar » Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Public Transport in Adelaide and South Australia needs investment not cuts and privatisation

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1761 Post by adelaide transport » Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Our Bus Network needs a complete overhaul.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1762 Post by muzzamo » Thu May 16, 2019 8:55 am

I'm in favor of privatising the train network in particular if it is done properly.

Remember - privatisation doesn't necessarily mean selling off the assets and allowing the owner to do what they like with prices.

Under the model used for the busses, I believe the government owns the busses and infrastructure, collects the ticketing revenue, sets the routes, runs the whole thing at an overall loss and puts out the operation of the service out to tender.

This means that you have a relatively efficient, hard working private sector taking care of the day to day operations rather than unaccountable, difficult-to-fire public servants operating under an inefficient, inflexible bureaucracy in charge. There are likely twice as many people employed as there are actually required to do the job. Anyone who has worked in government for a reasonable period of time will know what I mean, or you just need to stand at Adelaide railway station for a bit.

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!

#1763 Post by Eurostar » Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 am

adelaide transport wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 pm
Our Bus Network needs a complete overhaul.
In the 80s Adelaide we had top quality buses and trains, good mix of city bus routes and cross suburban bus routes. Without the OBahn traffic congestion in the north eastern suburbs area would be alot worse. In my opinion though there should of been a trainline to Modbury with a corridor reserved for extension to Golden Grove, and maybe downhill to Elizabeth (Mini CBD), we could of had high density hubs above and surrounding Klemzig, Paradise and Modbury, maybe Golden Grove.

In the 90s Transit Link Services were introduced and new good quality MAN buses entered service, new diesel trains and then of course the bus network was privatised.

In the 00s most bus routes are now city based, less crosstown routes. New cheapest buses entered service, I can't blame the State Labor choosing the cheapest buses because maintenence by operators is not the best. We finally got new trams. Tramline got so popular that Patrick Conlon had to buy nearly new never used trams from Europe.

In the 10s we finally got two lines electrified, all metro rail network upgraded, some stations upgraded, new electric trains, the diesel 3000 trains got upgraded, mind you now i think they look like lego trains. The busway got extended. By late 10s decade we have seen cuts to bus services.