PRO: Tonsley Rail Extension

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
drsmith
Legendary Member!

Re: Rail Line to Flinders Uni

#46 Post by drsmith » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:21 pm

This might take longer to build than the Mike O’Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge.

The "more detailed report" assumes opening in 2021.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#47 Post by adam73837 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Not sure if anyone's asked this, but as they're using tram-trains, where would these things terminate? Would they just be used on the Tonsley (Flinders) Branch; or would they actually go from the city to Flinders? If they're going to the city, wouldn't a problem arise with regards to the height of the platforms at the Adelaide Railway Station? Wouldn't they instead have to build a connection to the Glenelg Tramway that could then "feed" these Tram-Trains into the city through that route?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by drsmith » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:44 pm

They terminate at Woodlands Park.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by bay transit » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:26 pm

No decision has yet been made on the type of vehicle to be used-in fact the chances of a Tram-Train are very slim.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#50 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:13 am

adam73837 wrote:Not sure if anyone's asked this, but as they're using tram-trains, where would these things terminate? Would they just be used on the Tonsley (Flinders) Branch; or would they actually go from the city to Flinders?
The plans definitely show the latter -drsmith's wrong on this point, they would not terminate at Woodlands Park.
If they're going to the city, wouldn't a problem arise with regards to the height of the platforms at the Adelaide Railway Station? Wouldn't they instead have to build a connection to the Glenelg Tramway that could then "feed" these Tram-Trains into the city through that route?
I doubt they've thought that far ahead. Tram-trains are someone's pet project, but they're not a practical solution for this situation, and nor is there widespread support for them within DTEI.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by muzzamo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:06 am

Aidan wrote:I doubt they've thought that far ahead. Tram-trains are someone's pet project, but they're not a practical solution for this situation, and nor is there widespread support for them within DTEI.
Interesting.. Thats certainly the message that DTEI seem to be giving, they keep alternating between hot and cold on the topic..

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by drsmith » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Aidan wrote:The plans definitely show the latter -drsmith's wrong on this point, they would not terminate at Woodlands Park.
From section 7.2 of the detailed Environmental Report.
Passengers would be able to transfer between Noarlunga Passenger Rail Line and the new Tonsley Passenger
Rail Line at Woodlands Park. Heavy rail and tram–trains require different platform heights for loading and
unloading of passengers; thus a new low level platform would be constructed to the north of the pedestrian
crossing to provide DDA compliant access to both platforms and full interchange facilities. The existing high level
platform would be retained for Noarlunga Passenger Rail Line services.

Aidan

#53 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:41 pm

drsmith wrote:
Aidan wrote:The plans definitely show the latter -drsmith's wrong on this point, they would not terminate at Woodlands Park.
From section 7.2 of the detailed Environmental Report.
Passengers would be able to transfer between Noarlunga Passenger Rail Line and the new Tonsley Passenger
Rail Line at Woodlands Park. Heavy rail and tram–trains require different platform heights for loading and
unloading of passengers; thus a new low level platform would be constructed to the north of the pedestrian
crossing to provide DDA compliant access to both platforms and full interchange facilities. The existing high level
platform would be retained for Noarlunga Passenger Rail Line services.
From section 18.4.3 of the same report:
beyond the new Ascot Park station, Tonsley services would stop only at Woodlands Park Station, for
interchange with Noarlunga Passenger Rail Line services, and then run non-stop to Adelaide Railway
Station.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by drsmith » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:36 pm

I went x eyed before getting to section 18.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by AG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 pm

That seems a little bit wasteful of capacity if the tram-train vehicles don't serve anywhere between Woodlands Park and the city, and forcing the Noarlunga services to serve the stops when it should be the longer distance runs to Noarlunga that run express through this section. Also, it raises the question as to how Adelaide Station will be altered to accommodate the new vehicles. This proposal doesn't seem to have been thought through in much detail yet.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#56 Post by adam73837 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:47 am

Yes. That is true AG. Like they're saying on the DTEI website, it's still only a study.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

skyliner

#57 Post by skyliner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Not impressed with the tram-train idea mixing with heavy rail - just causes many costly adjustments and modifications, possible slow down in commuting. As someone said, the capacity to shift large numbers made awkward by the interlinking of light and heavy rail. If we can see the issues, why can't they?

SA - ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Aidan

#58 Post by Aidan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:16 pm

I emailed them my response this arvo.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by fabricator » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Aidan wrote:I emailed them my response this arvo.
I like the Spiral ramp, I had that idea when I was pondering what to do with the bridge so no ramps cross the rail lines.

Could we treat the entire Marion triangle as one huge interchange. By that I mean put all South bound traffic onto Main South road, put all north bound traffic onto Marion Road. End result have to build a few dives or underpasses but very little actual new road. For fun we can loop it back on itself and call it "Britania Roundabout II: You should have made it like this"
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Aidan

#60 Post by Aidan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:22 pm

fabricator wrote:
Aidan wrote:I emailed them my response this arvo.
I like the Spiral ramp, I had that idea when I was pondering what to do with the bridge so no ramps cross the rail lines.

Could we treat the entire Marion triangle as one huge interchange. By that I mean put all South bound traffic onto Main South road, put all north bound traffic onto Marion Road.
No we couldn't. Firstly it's far too big a detour, secondly it would put too much traffic onto Sturt Road, and thirdly it wouldn't actually solve anything.
End result have to build a few dives or underpasses but very little actual new road.
We can get that result without doing anything so drastic - I've already explained how.
For fun we can loop it back on itself and call it "Britania Roundabout II: You should have made it like this"
The whole point of the Britannia Roundabout is that they shouldn't've made it like that!