News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

#481 Post by rev » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 am

baristaa wrote:How exactly does broadband work? Like i know its fast and all that stuff. But when they say you get 10gb broadband what does that mean? does it mean you can download 10gb worth of stuff or what? I only have dial up and am thinking of switching to broadband.
10GB, 50GB etc is how much you can download per month and as Mono said can include your uploads..ie when youre downloading a movie with bittorent it also shares(uploads) what yoive downloaded sp far of tjat file to other people downloading. Unlimites obviously means there are no limits on downloads. An average unlimites ADSL2+ plan with TPG will set you bavk about $50 a month.
If all you do is surf the web email facebook amd a few youtube videos 20-50gb is ample.
If you download tv shows and movies, or plan to Id advise more data allowance..50gb may be plenty..but then you'll discover you can download entire seasons, even entire series and they can range anywhere from 1-2gb to 30+ gb. Depends how well you can control your self.

Telstra also offer ADSL2+ with a guaranteed minimum speed but Im not sure if thats fpr all AFSL2+ plans or if its only in selected areas.

If you can get.cable internet and can afford it get it. Only Telstra offer it in some areas, and I think Optus maybe.
We probably wont have a decent NBN before the next election or the one after that and the ome after...

Think about what you need tge Internet for before making a decision and what you are likwly to use it for especially since youll be on a faster connection and more things will be easily accessible(ie load faster). That way you womt get conned into some bundled.plan you dont need for 2 years.

Also do not sign up to anything from door to door sales people claiming to be from Telstra or anywhere else.
They operate independently of Telsra and Optus as resellers and will try screw you as hard.as they can. I had a few friends who I fix their pcs for who fell for it and when they ran into problems with their mobiles, home.phones etc they called Optus and.Optus basically said we cant help ypu bevause you didmt sign up directly. Lets just say one bloke who sold the services to one mate of mine fled for his life back to Mumbai before my mate got hold.of him.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#482 Post by Vee » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:58 am

Everybody else is getting faster internet.

Extracts below from an article by Michael Taylor in The AIMN. It's frustrating to see our NBN stalled/strangled while the rest of the world forges full steam ahead developing and implementing their broadband plans.
As Michael says ...
"Tomorrow’s digital services – from connected TV to cloud computing and e-Health – increasingly rely on fast, effective broadband connections. Such connections are becoming critical to our economy and" ... critical to improvements in GDP.
Foreign news sites offer a wealth of information. And they are generally, as a rule, far more entertaining, relevant and intelligent than what is served up here locally.

Fitting the bill is a recent article in The Times of India titled ‘Even with 49Mbps, India to remain way behind in internet race‘. ...
Meanwhile, in Australia, Tony Abbott says 25 Mbps NBN speeds are “more than enough”.

Much has been written about the Government’s broadband plan (or Fraudband as it is affectionately known) and its mountain of deserved criticism. We all know its inefficiencies, however, it now becomes embarrassing when the rest of the world wants to move further into the 21st Century and what the future offers whilst our government wants to slip further behind. It demonstrates, as we will see, that we have an out-of-touch government given the economic benefits of a fast broadband network. Consider, as an example, this article that tells us what’s happening in Europe and compare the economic ideology to that of our government’s:

Tomorrow’s digital services – from connected TV to cloud computing and e-Health – increasingly rely on fast, effective broadband connections. Such connections are becoming critical to our economy and, it is estimated that a 10% increase in broadband penetration brings up the GDP by 1-1.5% (my bold). The Digital Agenda for Europe (DAE), a flagship initiative of Europe 2020 strategy for a smart, sustainable and inclusive economy has set a goal is to make every European digital and ensure Europe’s competitiveness in the 21st century. Essential to this goal is fast connectivity and the DAE broadband targets....
Every country in the world, it seems, is developing or aspiring to develop a broadband network that provides the infrastructure to help keep them abreast with the technical and economic environment of today’s global village. Yet our prime minister insists on moving in the opposite direction. His attitude is as fundamentally archaic as the broadband technology he remonstrates is more than enough for us. Given his technological incompetence, or at least his inability to grasp the consequences of his incompetence, perhaps he’d be better suited to running a small nation like Tonga.
Surely there is someone within our government who has the guts to stand up and say, “Our technologically illiterate Prime Minister might think that 25 Mbps NBN speeds are good enough but the economic advantages of having a network of a world standard are too crucial to ignore. Stop focusing on cost and politics, and start focusing on opportunity and necessity.”
Read the full article in
The Austalian Independent Media Network
http://theaimn.com/2014/01/17/everybody ... -internet/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#483 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 pm

It's entertaining in a perverse way, watching the train wreck of NBN promises that anyone who knew anything about telecommunications knew were lies at the time derailing.

That is until if course you realise what kind of hole this leaves Australia in for the near future.

Leave it to the market they say. What market? We have a monopoly.

Any business that needs greater capacity can pay for it. Pay for what? There are no better options available.

Who's going to pay for all their customers to also have the faster upload speeds needed for all the new cloud based technology? Both Adobe and Microsoft are heading into the cloud for their flagship products. Australian businesses will not be able to use them.

We are screwed.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#484 Post by Nathan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:37 pm

monotonehell wrote:Both Adobe and Microsoft are heading into the cloud for their flagship products.
Although Adobe call it the "Creative Cloud", it's not really in the cloud - just the license management is. The software is installed locally. They do have cloud storage as part of the package, but I don't know of anyone who has even considered using it.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#485 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:43 pm

Nathan wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Both Adobe and Microsoft are heading into the cloud for their flagship products.
Although Adobe call it the "Creative Cloud", it's not really in the cloud - just the license management is. The software is installed locally. They do have cloud storage as part of the package, but I don't know of anyone who has even considered using it.
I said "heading". :wink: Office365 is already there and Adobe are working on a Software as a Service model.

Nathan

#486 Post by Nathan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Nathan wrote:
I said "heading". :wink: Office365 is already there and Adobe are working on a Software as a Service model.
Software as a service /= cloud ;)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#487 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Nathan wrote:Software as a service /= cloud ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_as_a_service
Software as a service, sometimes referred to as "on-demand software" supplied by ISVs or "Application-Service-Providers" (ASPs), is a software delivery model in which software and associated data are centrally hosted on the cloud.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#488 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:54 pm

How are they getting away with this?
NBN Strategic Review twists the truth to promote HFC over fibre
Weasel words abound in the Coalition's NBN Strategic Review, which cites an industry report to justify its assertion that HFC is a better investment than FTTP. Curiously, the report actually says something completely different.
http://www.zdnet.com/nbn-strategic-revi ... 000025423/

I'm not holding much hope, but there's a croudsourced submission to the senate in the works...
http://delimiter.com.au/2014/01/21/crow ... ubmission/

Amused
Gold-Member ;)

#489 Post by Amused » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:21 pm

If a doctor pulled this shit with their medical research, they'd have their medical funding and license revoked so fast ala Andrew Wakefield. I can't understand why it is ok for a politician to do it with an entire country's internet infrastructure.

ChillyPhilly

#490 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 am

What Abbott and Co. have done with the NBN has been and continues to be highly embarrassing.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#491 Post by Rene » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm

NBN Co's work in relation to MDU's leaves a lot to be desired... after 3 months discussion, etc. they still can't tell me whether I'll get connected before the copper services in my area are terminated in March 2015 even though fibre was rolled out past our MDU 9 months ago! :roll: Their excuse: MDU's and business premises can be more complex, so we'll leave them till all the SDU's have been connected. So while they're stalling, Telstra (and other providers) apparently cannot install new landlines or ADSL connections. Quite frustrating... :x

Vee
Legendary Member!

#492 Post by Vee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:21 pm

As more manufacturing jobs go offshore, Australia needs a fast, reliable broadband service - the NBN, to support and encourage our participation in the global economy. This Delimiter item covers a Study revealing the ongoing popularity of the original NBN.

NBN enjoys massive public support despite "overwhelmingly negative" print coverage
A new comprehensive study of public attitudes towards Labor’s National Broadband Network project has found the initiative still enjoys very high levels of widespread public support from ordinary Australians, despite what the study described as an “overwhelmingly negative” approach to the project by print media such as newspapers.
The study, entitled Framing the NBN: Public perceptions and media representations, was published this month by the University of Melbourne’s Institute for a Broadband-Enabled Society (IBES).
The Study is available online:
http://www.broadband.unimelb.edu.au/res ... he-NBN.pdf
A new comprehensive study of public attitudes towards Labor’s National Broadband Network project has found the initiative still enjoys very high levels of widespread public support from ordinary Australians, despite what the study described as an “overwhelmingly negative” approach to the project by print media such as newspapers.
Surprise, surprise! Most Australians continue to support Labor’s NBN vision, despite the fact that Australia’s mainstream media has been staunchly against the project almost from day one. How can these newspapers and the journalists who work for them claim to be serving the Australian public when they consistently advocate against the public’s interest? I don’t quite understand. But then....
By Renai LeMay
Delimiter:
http://delimiter.com.au/2014/02/10/nbn- ... -coverage/

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#493 Post by Howie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Nathan wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Nathan wrote: Although Adobe call it the "Creative Cloud", it's not really in the cloud - just the license management is. The software is installed locally. They do have cloud storage as part of the package, but I don't know of anyone who has even considered using it.
Software as a service /= cloud ;)
O365, Azure webservices, Skydrive. That'll give you SaaS, IaaS & DaaS which is pretty much 'cloud'.

Citrix, Amazon and Google all have a cloud play. Not to mention some local ISV's like HP/NEC that do private clouds for Enterprise.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#494 Post by Vee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:48 pm

The dream of a National Broadband Network seems to be rapidly slipping away as the Coalition works towards a "Multi-Technology Mix". FTTP for the fortunate few, 'dog's breakfast' for the rest.
Some excerpts below from a longer article in Delimiter.

Destructive forces unravelling NBN says Budde.
By Renai LeMay
“Destructive forces” at work in a “highly polarised political environment” are starting to “unravel” Labor’s National Broadband Network project, veteran analyst Paul Budde said yesterday, with the new Coalition Government having boxed itself into a corner on the issue and end users set to suffer from a nightmarish situation akin to a “Pandora’s Box” of problems.
In January, Budde heavily criticised the Coalition’s new preferred broadband deployment model, describing its “Multi-Technology Mix” approach as “a dog’s breakfast” of different technologies, which could turn out to be a “logistical nightmare” to deliver in practice.
Grim forecast:
What I am seeing right now, and what I suspect Budde is starting to project, is the worst case scenario: A situation where our national broadband development gradually goes horrifically off the rails in the worst way possible due to the problems of our political sphere, hurling Australia backwards for several decades and leaving us as a patchwork broadband backwater, while the rest of the world progresses forward continually.
Read the full article in Delimiter:
http://delimiter.com.au/2014/03/26/dest ... ays-budde/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#495 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm

As expected, the Libs have undermined, delayed and generally shut down the NBN project. They started out saying that they were against it, then when that didn't fly they proceeded to outright lie about wanting build an NBN "Fast Affordable Sooner". They had no intention of this. MTM is a lie, what they mean is the maintenance of the status quo. All while they keep talking about non-existent technology based on a flawed premise.

So instead of a level playing field paid for by revenue generated from the project, we have taxpayers footing the bill to pay to maintain the existing Telstra/Fox monopoly.

Now they want to sell Medibank by IPO... sound familiar?