[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1126 Post by rev » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:36 pm

Well, misread your post.

rev

#1127 Post by rev » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:03 am

Nathan wrote: My point is Rev, that if people in every other country on Earth live in less space, then it demonstrates that the desire for space in Australia is a want, not a need. Owning a German Shepherd is also a want, not a need, and if you require a larger house/land to accommodate said want, then it's a bit rich to bemoan housing affordability because said larger house/land costs more.

There's also a huge middle ground between our large detached houses and being tightly packed in like sardines. I'd also suggest that part of the problem is that many homes here are poorly designed, and require more space to make up for their deficiencies (for which I blame those house & land package development companies which dominate the new build market).

Sticking a few solar panels up and using recycled water for your gardens is good, but I doubt that would begin to offset the larger scale environmental issues of low density living.
I'm not for one or the other only. I understand the need for higher density living, and think it's bloody great that it's becoming a more common site around Adelaide. But I also understand that a lot of people still need, and yes want, their own detached house with plenty of space. Why cant new housing developments(or redevelopments of areas) include both higher density residential buildings, and regular homes? Like Saint Clair and Mawson Lakes before it.
The cost of housing in inner areas regardless of the size of the land or the homes, will continue to increase in value/cost. Regardless of how much more sprawl we get. So first home buyers and young families will still struggle and be unable to buy closer to the City.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1128 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:06 am

Lucky Lupitas at Bedford Park is relocating to Gouger Street as the shops will be getting demolished later this year.

rev

#1129 Post by rev » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:19 am

Have all the whingers aka people holding out for way more money from the government for their derelict houses, finally given up yet?
I did see some more homes around Hindmarsh being demolished the other week.
Really can not wait for Torrens to Torrens to start.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1130 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 pm

rev wrote:Have all the whingers aka people holding out for way more money from the government for their derelict houses, finally given up yet?
Who are you to judge the worth of another person's home? Watch 'The Castle', you might feel enlightened.

rev

#1131 Post by rev » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
rev wrote:Have all the whingers aka people holding out for way more money from the government for their derelict houses, finally given up yet?
Who are you to judge the worth of another person's home? Watch 'The Castle', you might feel enlightened.
I am God of course, didn't you know? Well now you do, bow down and offer your tribute before I smite you. :twisted:

There's that one pensioner if I'm not mistaken who expects I think it was upwards of 500,000 for his home from the government. He wouldn't get what he thinks his house is worth if he was to sell it or go to auction.
Let's not forget the location of these homes. Every day tens of thousands of cars and trucks and buses roar past their homes. Yeh, very valuable and attractive homes. You can see why so many of them were such attractive looking homes and were so sought after.

It's obvious some of these people are trying to milk it for all they can get.

I suppose though we've waited this long for this section of road to be fixed properly, a few minor delays now wont make much of a difference after decades of waiting.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1132 Post by rockthenation » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:39 am

I wonder how the final plan for T2T, which was meant to be released at the end of last year, is going...

[Shuz]

#1133 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:02 pm

It was released. The junction with Port Road has been changed a bit. T2T now deviates away from the electrical substation which was going to be originally demolished. The road will sit in a half trench and the rail overpass will be half a bridge to reduce construction costs associated with building a full height rail bridge.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1134 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:50 pm

[Shuz] wrote:It was released. The junction with Port Road has been changed a bit. T2T now deviates away from the electrical substation which was going to be originally demolished. The road will sit in a half trench and the rail overpass will be half a bridge to reduce construction costs associated with building a full height rail bridge.
That was the plan released in June last year. There should be a final Project Impact Report released soon.
Last edited by Norman on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waewick

#1135 Post by Waewick » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
not interested in worth. Just value.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1136 Post by rockthenation » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:52 pm

I thought that was the final concept design, with it to be reviewed and and any changes applied to the final design, I've been hearing there'll be some U-turn provisions added.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#1137 Post by victorious80 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 am

Land acquisition is not holding anything up. Tendering for the road contract has been ongoing for the past 6 months, with the final 2 proponents finalising their designs and costs, and DPTI evaluating them. The word is that the successful proponent will be notified today or early next week, with contract award following imminently. Upon contract award, there will be a few months of detailed design, before construction commences in earnest. Early works packages are already under construction on site.

Until the road contract is awarded, the 2 proponents' designs will remain confidential unfortunately.

[Shuz]

#1138 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:50 pm

I don't get this.

You come up with a concept design... then you come up with a design... you take into account community concerns... you refine that design... you come up with the detailed design.... and then build it. That's what we're taught in planning at least anyway.

But it seems DPTI likes to put all this work into putting in a detailed design, only to present it as a concept design, spend 6 months on community consultation, coming up with a completely different detailed design, only to refine that detailed design with a whole new detailed design, and then call for tenders to commence building work based on detailed designs from 2 other organisations which have not involved in the whole process that DPTI have been through, spend months evaluating those two detailed designs, meanwhile coming up with a completely new detailed design to make it look like they're doing something and soothe the Murdoch press into regurgitating the same story under a different headline... announce the winner of the tender process by going with the detailed design that that one of the organisations came up with, and leave the 6 detailed designs that the department came up with themselves in the meantime to collect dust on an archive filing shelf somewhere, only to work out that by the time they've got to this point, they don't have enough money to go through with that design, and then rush the whole process in 6 weeks again, based on a few notes and drawings on the back of an envelope, as a result of a meeting of collective brain farts, which is a child's version of one of the detailed designs they came up with 2 years beforehand... only to build it and blow out the cost by double the budget.

Yep. That's DPTI and State Government incompetence for you.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#1139 Post by rev » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:33 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I don't get this.

You come up with a concept design... then you come up with a design... you take into account community concerns... you refine that design... you come up with the detailed design.... and then build it. That's what we're taught in planning at least anyway.

But it seems DPTI likes to put all this work into putting in a detailed design, only to present it as a concept design, spend 6 months on community consultation, coming up with a completely different detailed design, only to refine that detailed design with a whole new detailed design, and then call for tenders to commence building work based on detailed designs from 2 other organisations which have not involved in the whole process that DPTI have been through, spend months evaluating those two detailed designs, meanwhile coming up with a completely new detailed design to make it look like they're doing something and soothe the Murdoch press into regurgitating the same story under a different headline... announce the winner of the tender process by going with the detailed design that that one of the organisations came up with, and leave the 6 detailed designs that the department came up with themselves in the meantime to collect dust on an archive filing shelf somewhere, only to work out that by the time they've got to this point, they don't have enough money to go through with that design, and then rush the whole process in 6 weeks again, based on a few notes and drawings on the back of an envelope, as a result of a meeting of collective brain farts, which is a child's version of one of the detailed designs they came up with 2 years beforehand... only to build it and blow out the cost by double the budget.

Yep. That's DPTI and State Government incompetence for you.
I would have thought a simpler process would have been to announce that they are going to upgrade this or that section of road, put out a tender with all the relevant information about what they want done, and then assess the proposals put forward to them and pick the most suitable one based on their criteria(cost, impact whatever). And THEN release images of artists impressions of what it's all going to look like and the final plan.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1140 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:47 pm

I thought that is what happened. A concept design was released in June 2013, a design released in June 2014 (the current version) which was modified after community consultation, and the final detailed design will be released in a few weeks. That's what happened in the past and I don't expect that to be different for this project.

Or have I missed something?

And Rev, you missed an important step in your plan, which is community consultation.