[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1366 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:16 pm

According to this:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 7597938511

The plan also calls for the extension of the Tonsley rail line to the medical centre.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1367 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:13 pm

omada wrote:I for one have always wondered why the termination of the Tonsley line remains where it is, surely the benefits of extending this to the Flinders Med/Uni precinct outweigh any costs?? Does anyone know the projected cost of this ? Was this detailed in either Flinders Unis plans or the interchange plans?
I believe the issue relates to the Governments pledge not to build any more level crossings. Suddenly, what should be a relatively simple extension into the Sturt triangle becomes a much larger project involving going over or under Sturt Rd.

In the Darlington Transport Study that was released a few years ago, it was proposed to take the tram to the Uni. I believe the no more level crossings pledge only includes heavy rail, thus exempting light rail.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

metro
Legendary Member!

#1368 Post by metro » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:19 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
omada wrote:I for one have always wondered why the termination of the Tonsley line remains where it is, surely the benefits of extending this to the Flinders Med/Uni precinct outweigh any costs?? Does anyone know the projected cost of this ? Was this detailed in either Flinders Unis plans or the interchange plans?
I believe the issue relates to the Governments pledge not to build any more level crossings. Suddenly, what should be a relatively simple extension into the Sturt triangle becomes a much larger project involving going over or under Sturt Rd.

In the Darlington Transport Study that was released a few years ago, it was proposed to take the tram to the Uni. I believe the no more level crossings pledge only includes heavy rail, thus exempting light rail.
The govt never actually explained how a Light-Rail would integrate with the existing rail network, whether it would just run between Flinders Uni and Woodlands Park and people interchange there with the train, or if the trams would share the train tracks as far as goodwood or run parallel to the rail line or take its own route to the city or other destination.

I think the best option would be just to extend the rail line above ground to the FMC and give uni students a direct escalator/moving walkway and/or stairway like in Medellin, Colombia, to reach the Uni Library area. :cheers:

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1369 Post by kingy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:31 pm

metro wrote:The govt never actually explained how a Light-Rail would integrate with the existing rail network, whether it would just run between Flinders Uni and Woodlands Park and people interchange there with the train, or if the trams would share the train tracks as far as goodwood or run parallel to the rail line or take its own route to the city or other destination.

I think the best option would be just to extend the rail line above ground to the FMC and give uni students a direct escalator/moving walkway and/or stairway like in Medellin, Colombia, to reach the Uni Library area. :cheers:
Could a gondola or aerial tramway be an option from the railway station to the university, with a mid-station at the medical centre? A quick google shows construction costs of $3m-$12m per mile, which comes out at just under $12mAUD for our 1.13km length.

The terminus could be where the current small carpark is next to the railway station, or across Sturt Road next to the police station.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1370 Post by Goodsy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 pm

kingy wrote:
metro wrote:The govt never actually explained how a Light-Rail would integrate with the existing rail network, whether it would just run between Flinders Uni and Woodlands Park and people interchange there with the train, or if the trams would share the train tracks as far as goodwood or run parallel to the rail line or take its own route to the city or other destination.

Could a gondola or aerial tramway be an option from the railway station to the university, with a mid-station at the medical centre? A quick google shows construction costs of $3m-$12m per mile, which comes out at just under $12mAUD for our 1.13km length.

The terminus could be where the current small carpark is next to the railway station, or across Sturt Road next to the police station.

what about just raising the train line over the road like the Outer Harbor does over Port Road

claybro

#1371 Post by claybro » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Just like they never really explained how a light rail (tram) would integrate into the existing network on the OH line for the "coast to coast" light rail. In fact we are still waiting, despite a concrete announcement some years back with a timeline in place.....so don't hold your breath on this one. The line will just stop at Tonsley for the foreseeable future (until we are dead and buried) and they can bleat on about how commuters don't utilise the spur line that they have spent millions electrifying.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1372 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 pm

There are a few reports regarding the North-West rail corridor here: http://transportplan.sa.gov.au/technical_documents

They compare several options, including keeping heavy rail on the line and taking the tram down Port Road instead, and several other combinations. They go into a lot of detail.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1373 Post by Wayno » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:43 am

what about just raising the train line over the road like the Outer Harbor does over Port Road
Where would the incline have to start to make this possible?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1374 Post by muzzamo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Wayno wrote:Where would the incline have to start to make this possible?
Somewhere before sturt road I would imagine.

I've thought about this little area a lot too - having been past it and through it on the bus more than 7000 (yes) times.

In my mind the way to go would be to overpass over sturt, then overpass over south road, then an elevated train station in front of the medical centre. From there, as suggested above, would be a series of covered escalators up to the uni.

If you had unlimited funds you would tunnel right under the uni into an underground station below it.

EBG

#1375 Post by EBG » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:12 pm

There have been plans to extend the train to Flinders Uni since at least 1974 , especially in election years.

Patrick_27

#1376 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:35 am

EBG wrote:There have been plans to extend the train to Flinders Uni since at least 1974 , especially in election years.
You mean baseless words? Aside from the original Darlington fly-through I have never seen any such plans to extend rail to Flinders, nor have I heard of any.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1377 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Some of the high-voltage power lines have now been taken down along the Torrens to Torrens corridor.

ChillyPhilly

#1378 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Norman wrote:Some of the high-voltage power lines have now been taken down along the Torrens to Torrens corridor.
Drove down South Road soutbound and on Sunday 8 November they were reeling some of the powerlines down, just north of Torrens. Interesting to watch.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1379 Post by rev » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Earthworks are well and truly underway.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1380 Post by rockthenation » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:44 pm

rockthenation wrote:I noticed last night that Mayne Rugs on the corner of South Rd and Manton St is closing down.
Is it just closing down or is that building being demolished also?
The Mayne Rugs building on the corner of South Rd and Manton St is being demolished.
Went to buy some fruit and veg from one of the sheds there there today and there where staff handing out flyers for their new location.