[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1381 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:07 pm

rockthenation wrote:
rockthenation wrote:I noticed last night that Mayne Rugs on the corner of South Rd and Manton St is closing down.
Is it just closing down or is that building being demolished also?
The Mayne Rugs building on the corner of South Rd and Manton St is being demolished.
Went to buy some fruit and veg from one of the sheds there there today and there where staff handing out flyers for their new location.
Great to hear, another eyesore along this stretch gone.

Though it wasn't part of the T2T project.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1382 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:57 pm

crawf wrote:
rockthenation wrote:
rockthenation wrote:I noticed last night that Mayne Rugs on the corner of South Rd and Manton St is closing down.
The Mayne Rugs building on the corner of South Rd and Manton St is being demolished.
Went to buy some fruit and veg from one of the sheds there there today and there where staff handing out flyers for their new location.
Great to hear, another eyesore along this stretch gone.

Though it wasn't part of the T2T project.
It's probably been acquired for us as a supplies and vehicle storage facility for the duration of construction.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1383 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:20 pm

rockthenation wrote:
That fruit and veg shop cracks me up. When Holdens announced they were closing, they offered a free watermelon to any Holden worker (because one watermelon is really going to help)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1384 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 pm

crawf wrote: Image
I've never noticed a grade level road on the western side of this T2T plan as well as the below ground level. What a waste of money there are no businesses or houses here it simply is not needed... Stop trying to cater to EVERYONE and just build the infrastructure we need not want jo blow down the road wants.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1385 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Ben wrote:I've never noticed a grade level road on the western side of this T2T plan as well as the below ground level. What a waste of money there are no businesses or houses here it simply is not needed... Stop trying to cater to EVERYONE and just build the infrastructure we need not want jo blow down the road wants.
Wait... what?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1386 Post by Torrens_5022 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:01 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Ben wrote:I've never noticed a grade level road on the western side of this T2T plan as well as the below ground level. What a waste of money there are no businesses or houses here it simply is not needed... Stop trying to cater to EVERYONE and just build the infrastructure we need not want jo blow down the road wants.
Wait... what?
M
Wouldn't it be for turns into Grange - Manton and Port Roads?
You would need to exit just south of Grange Road for Port Road, how would you turn of the lowered road if the western surface wasn't there?
Btw it looks more like a ramp

SBD

#1387 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:43 pm

As far as I had noticed, it has always been planned wth surface northbound on the west with connections to side streets, surface southbound on the east, nonstop both ways in a trench in the middle, with cycling and walking not permitted in the trench.

claybro

#1388 Post by claybro » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:30 pm

It was part of the brief to make this thing look as least like a freeway as possible so as not to frighten the NIMBYs . So instead of just one carriageway with limited entry and exit points, the whole thing is duplicated to cater for local access at EVERY intersection. Part of the price SA has paid for selling off land previously reserved for the critical North/south corridor. I do believe however what we have ended up with is a functional and attractive if not expensive result.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1389 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 am

claybro wrote:It was part of the brief to make this thing look as least like a freeway as possible so as not to frighten the NIMBYs . So instead of just one carriageway with limited entry and exit points, the whole thing is duplicated to cater for local access at EVERY intersection. Part of the price SA has paid for selling off land previously reserved for the critical North/south corridor. I do believe however what we have ended up with is a functional and attractive if not expensive result.
This is what I was getting at but didn't explain as well as claybro.

ChillyPhilly

#1390 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Who remembers Aidan's work?

http://southroad.track11.com.au/

He seems to be inactive on here nowadays.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1391 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:59 pm

According to a variable message sign located on South Road, major works are commencing at the South/Sturt Rd intersection on the 11th December. There doesn't appear to be any details relating to this on the DPTI website.

Does anyone know what work will be carried out?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Llessur2002

#1392 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Looks like a lot more of the high voltage wires and poles on South Road have been taken down over the past couple of days - both north and south of Port Road. Looks so much better already!

Does anyone know if any of the lines on Port Road are due to come down? The renders and fly-through videos don't seem to show them but I'm not sure if this is because they won't be there or if they didn't want to put them on...

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#1393 Post by notmichaeljfox » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:25 pm

I got this email today at work about the Darlington Interchange. Vegetation removal starts tomorrow.
“Please be advised that the first stage of vegetation removal works for the Darlington Upgrade Project will commence tomorrow, Thursday 10 December 2015, in the following locations:
  • Along Main South Road between Shepherds Hill Road/Ayliffes Road and the Southern Expressway
  • Along Sturt Road adjacent Flinders University oval
  • Within Laffer Triangle (western corner of Main South Road and Sturt Road).
The works will be undertaken until late December 2015 and will recommence in early January 2016.

Traffic restrictions will be in place as required throughout the works, with clear signage advising of changed traffic conditions.

Fauna inspections will be undertaken prior to the works and any fauna discovered during the inspections will be safely relocated to an appropriate area. Tree hollows and logs will be salvaged for re-use and mulched tree material will be provided for use within existing landscaped areas.

A detailed landscape and urban design plan is currently being developed to offset vegetation removals and impacts to amenity. Details of the landscape and urban design plan will be released as soon as they are available.”
The final plan for the interchange hasn't been publicly announced yet.

ChillyPhilly

#1394 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:22 pm

Trees have gone down, and of course people aren't happy with it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1395 Post by rev » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:05 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Trees have gone down, and of course people aren't happy with it.
Never mind the fact that for every tree removed, two will be planted.
Nah, let's ignore the facts and get all angry and piss about a non issue. Because you know, SOUTH AUSTRALIA!