[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1636 Post by claybro » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Why do you presume there will be a huge volume of traffic wanting to exit the freeway at that specific point? If what you are referring to is commuter traffic from the south, they have Goodwood road and Anzac highway options to get into the city before you even get to this point. From the north, also multiple options. It's not like the whole of adelaide will want to enter the city from SDBD.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1637 Post by fifty » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
fifty wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:I'd expect a fairly significant interchange to allow good airport access.
Hence my Richmond Road concept, but looks like DPTI has decided its SDBD or nothing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Got an image of that that you can send?
viewtopic.php?t=5693

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#1638 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:28 am

claybro wrote:Why do you presume there will be a huge volume of traffic wanting to exit the freeway at that specific point? If what you are referring to is commuter traffic from the south, they have Goodwood road and Anzac highway options to get into the city before you even get to this point. From the north, also multiple options. It's not like the whole of adelaide will want to enter the city from SDBD.
Arguably, once the NS corridor is completed Marion and Goodwood Rd will no longer be viable routes for Southern commuters into the city. Why would someone travel along a road with traffic lights and a 50/60 speedlimit when they could use the freeway?

A similar thing is likely to happen in the north.

There is now a higher volume of traffic using South Rd to access the city. Currently there are multiple roads which can be used depending on a persons destination within the city. Someone coming from the south may use Anzac to access the southern cbd, while that same person wishing to access North Terrace may use Henley or DBD.

Once the freeway is constructed, there will be two routes which this person could use, as opposed to the 4/5 which are available now. Its therefore quite likely that Anzac and JCD/DBD will experience significant increases in traffic.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

claybro

#1639 Post by claybro » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Induced demand works in 2 ways. The additional volumes of traffic sucked in by the new, wider, faster road, will reduce traffic on other arterials like Marion, Goodwood etc. Travel times on these roads will improve even with traffic lights. Signs posted near freeway entrys will give comparative times to the city of the various routes and people can make their own mind up. I just don't think it will be the disaster at SDBD it is being made out to be.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1640 Post by Goodsy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Looks like drilling has started at the NEXY end of the Northern Connector, I guess they'll be building that interchange first and working their way down

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#1641 Post by mawsonguy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:55 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:Looks like drilling has started at the NEXY end of the Northern Connector, I guess they'll be building that interchange first and working their way down
They will probably work simultaneously at a number of different locations. That allows for the employment of maximum effort without one location becoming congested. On Monday I observed a large amount of earhworks going on between the river and the SA Water Waste Treatment plant. Too far south for the Bolivar Interchange but appears to be on the Northern Connector alignment.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1642 Post by Goodsy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Bolivar road intersection is in full swing now, excavators and graders working there today

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1643 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:07 am

Drove along the site today. More power lines are coming down slowly (unfortunately not the big ones yet) and asphalt is starting to be laid on the new western service road between Torrens River and Grange Road.

The section of South Road between Grange Road and Port Road has the power lines underground now. Temporary street lighting has been put in place along South Road and even on some of the buildings to the east.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1644 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Llessur2002

#1645 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:09 pm

I like it. Not as imposing as I imagined it would be.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1646 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:59 am

i like the use of red brick, and the arch design. Hope that actually happens...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1647 Post by Westside » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:55 am

Not sure if this has been added here yet, but the extension to Pym St has been published, here:
http://infrastructure.sa.gov.au/nsc/tor ... _extension

Including concept design for the extension, here:
http://infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__data/ ... et_map.pdf

I'm still a little disappointed that ramps south of Torrens Rd to join the motorway have not been included. In its current form, traffic from Torrens Rd heading South (and vice versa) will join South Rd after traversing all intersections at grade (Hawker, Port, Grange). I think this adds unneccessary traffic to the surface road having no northbound offramp/ southbound onramp for the entire length of the motorway.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#1648 Post by ml69 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:40 am

Llessur2002 wrote:I like it. Not as imposing as I imagined it would be.
In the middle render, it looks like the street might be partially sunk underneath it? Either that or they have deliberately under scaled the bridge in the render so it doesn't look so imposing, hence easier to sell the concept to the community.

It wouldn't be the first time that a render is deliberately misleading. No conspiracy theory, just saying ...

Llessur2002

#1649 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 am

Not sure - do you mean the surface part of South Road or Euston/Day Terraces? I think also the structure in the renders is brick only about half way up and then whatever that grey panelling is (concrete, glass?) makes up the rest. Whether that will look as good as in the render, or a cheap cop-out will become obvious when it's built I guess.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1650 Post by rockthenation » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:47 am

Asphalt for the South Rd northbound surface road near Hindmarsh Ave being applied with existing keen being demolished to connect to current South Rd.