[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1921 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:25 am

Just seen a test train. :D
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1922 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am

how good is he wrote:Great videos Norman, well done.
Ok so what's the likelihood they will announce and fund any future stage/s before these projects finish in 2 years? It would be great to keep the momentum going and I hope it's not another 10 -20 year saga/wait, as these were to begin.
Also surely the Pym St intersection/lights have to be removed/closed to have a clear run to Regency Rd. This would be the next over/under pass that could/should start next ie 2018/2019. It would then just leave say Torrensville to Tonsley (T3?) to finish it off. So maybe 20km and $5 billion.
I'm just speculating but my gut tells me either Pym to Regency or Cross Road is next. The other projects are more sensitive and difficult to approach, and will both take longer and cost more than we have, to build.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1923 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Attachments
Full-Outer-Harbor-and-Grange-rail-line-closure-lines-re-opening_articleimage328W.png
Full-Outer-Harbor-and-Grange-rail-line-closure-lines-re-opening_articleimage328W.png (157.02 KiB) Viewed 2768 times

Llessur2002

#1924 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Got a couple of the test trains on video, because I'm geeky like that.

Also caught a great glimpse of one going over the overpass whilst waiting for the lights at the Grange Road intersection. Looked awesome - sadly no time to get a video of that.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1925 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm

did they upgrade Croydon station as well, or is it still a 30cm step up to the train
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Llessur2002

#1926 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 pm

No work done to the station other than new retaining walls for garden beds on the southern side - although heard from DTPI shortly before the line closed that they were planning to replace the shelters and install new benches whilst the line was closed. Hopefully that'll come in the near future as the station could do with a bit of love maintenance-wise (fantastic new artwork aside).

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1927 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:36 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:did they upgrade Croydon station as well, or is it still a 30cm step up to the train
I have heard Croydon is getting move.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1928 Post by metro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:No work done to the station other than new retaining walls for garden beds on the southern side - although heard from DTPI shortly before the line closed that they were planning to replace the shelters and install new benches whilst the line was closed. Hopefully that'll come in the near future as the station could do with a bit of love maintenance-wise (fantastic new artwork aside).
I thought a majority of local residents in the community consultation said they were opposed to a station upgrade? Something to do with not wanting more traffic, people, and high-rise development in the area. Perhaps DPTI/state govt should leave the station as it is for the next 30 years but upgrade every other station on the rail network. :twisted:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1929 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:22 pm

The original plan was to have an elevated station at Croydon, but the local traders and residents objected to it. Therefore, a lower level bridge has been installed and Croydon Station will remain as-is.

Llessur2002

#1930 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:23 pm

Think that's a little bit of an exaggeration metro - it's before my time as a resident in the area but I believe that people were opposed to a large, predominantly concrete (as per the concept plans at the time) overpass being built across a popular dining, shopping and playground precinct and the subsequent relocation of the station either onto the overpass or completely away from the shops and cafes further towards South Road - rather than any blanket objection to maintenance of the existing station. Looking at the solution that exists today and its very minimal impact to the area I think this was the right choice, although there have been several pages of arguments about this on this thread which are probably best leaving in the past to save going over old ground.

Whilst Croydon station is far from the worst on the line (especially given the abundance of community art and recent minor renovations), the shelters could ideally do with replacement as they leak in the rain and on the city-bound platform are situated away from where the 2 car trains stop (plus they are completely removed from where the wheelchair access ramp is). My understanding is that they have been approved and are pending installation, along with benches, irrigation for the garden beds and a few other bits and bobs.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1931 Post by metro » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 pm

jk1237 wrote:I shouldn't be negative, but I'm praying that this structure won't result in a permanent snails pace speed restriction like what the trams have on a bridge over South Rd that was just built a few years ago
I do recall trams did run at a snails pace on the South Rd bridge before the recent issues, and obviously now even slower than before, I wonder if DPTI might have known something was wrong with the South Rd tram bridge before it started falling apart :o

Also from what I've seen of the trains on the new bridge today they were running at a snails pace, let's they pick up the pace over the next few days, otherwise rail users have put up with no trains for a month for a slower service.

From my car, it sure was glorious not having to be held up by that damn level crossing, looking forward to cruising down the motorway at 90km/h when it opens. 8)

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#1932 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:16 pm

metro wrote: ...

Also from what I've seen of the trains on the new bridge today they were running at a snails pace, let's they pick up the pace over the next few days, otherwise rail users have put up with no trains for a month for a slower service.

There is currently a 40k TSR over the bridge and approach ramps. Considering that the track was only completed at the end of last week and the bridge concrete deck is not much older, the TSR is not surprising.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1933 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:19 am

Here's the footage from the train going across the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn0_5ex_YII

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1934 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Construction of the Outer Harbor rail overpass and first train.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1935 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Noticed someone's already made their way up on the bridge and tagged all over it :evil: