[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Listy
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2326 Post by Listy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Work on the Taylor bridge widening has halted (a few weeks ago I think, as none of the earthmoving equipment nearby has moved for a while) & been postponed until 'early 2018', and linear path will be temporarily reinstated under the bridge from Dec 15 (until an unspecified later date when it will be closed again). In the original bridge construction schedule released in May it should have been fully completed in September, so it seems that something significant has happened to cause them to pause work & fall so far behind schedule.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#2327 Post by Mr Smith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Listy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm
Work on the Taylor bridge widening has halted (a few weeks ago I think, as none of the earthmoving equipment nearby has moved for a while) & been postponed until 'early 2018', and linear path will be temporarily reinstated under the bridge from Dec 15 (until an unspecified later date when it will be closed again). In the original bridge construction schedule released in May it should have been fully completed in September, so it seems that something significant has happened to cause them to pause work & fall so far behind schedule.
Doing this work on Taylor Bridge tends to suggest that the section south from Susan Street will likely be one of the final segments undertaken. Is the plan to go over Taylor Bridge and Ashwin Pde/W Thebarton Road in an elevated Superway build?

There doesn't seem to be enough width at grade to replicate the T2T section around the bend/bridge due to close proximity of the cemetery.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2328 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I think that the cemetery leases are being bought out one by one as each of them comes up to expiry.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#2329 Post by Waewick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:04 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm
I think that the cemetery leases are being bought out one by one as each of them comes up to expiry.
well that is thinking ahead.

ChillyPhilly

#2330 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
Listy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm
Doing this work on Taylor Bridge tends to suggest that the section south from Susan Street will likely be one of the final segments undertaken. Is the plan to go over Taylor Bridge and Ashwin Pde/W Thebarton Road in an elevated Superway build?

There doesn't seem to be enough width at grade to replicate the T2T section around the bend/bridge due to close proximity of the cemetery.
The preference is for an elevated structure, but at-grade is a possibility.

As for a lack of room for the corridor, there's space to the west. I'm sure some property acquisition will be involved.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#2331 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Brickworks -just- got redeveloped. There's about 5m of land west available (if that) that can be utilised. I'm going to hedge my bets the land acquisition will be to the east and be a tunnel portal through to SBR.

There is no way in hell there'll be an elevated structure, trench or at grade freeway through this section. I'll eat my hat and run down King William Street naked if anything else comes of otherwise.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2332 Post by Goodsy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:36 pm
Brickworks -just- got redeveloped. There's about 5m of land west available (if that) that can be utilised. I'm going to hedge my bets the land acquisition will be to the east and be a tunnel portal through to SBR.

There is no way in hell there'll be an elevated structure, trench or at grade freeway through this section. I'll eat my hat and run down King William Street naked if anything else comes of otherwise.
Just need the front of the cemetery and a few warehouses. The question is where does the it end, if It's elevated would it go all the way to the ANZAC highway underpass?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2333 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 pm

I can’t see it being elevated. It would cost a fortune and residents opposition would be huge both for noise and aesthetically. It worked at Grand Junction Rd etc as it was all commercial properties surrounding it. The “cheap”/quick answer suggested was to put underpasses only at the main road intersections [H Beach Rd, Sir DB, Richmond Rd etc].

ChillyPhilly

#2334 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 pm
I can’t see it being elevated. It would cost a fortune and residents opposition would be huge both for noise and aesthetically. It worked at Grand Junction Rd etc as it was all commercial properties surrounding it. The “cheap”/quick answer suggested was to put underpasses only at the main road intersections [H Beach Rd, Sir DB, Richmond Rd etc].
This is a whip-up I did a while ago, based on the preferences listed by the Scoping Report.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2335 Post by rockthenation » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 am

Listy wrote:Work on the Taylor bridge widening has halted (a few weeks ago I think, as none of the earthmoving equipment nearby has moved for a while) & been postponed until 'early 2018', and linear path will be temporarily reinstated under the bridge from Dec 15 (until an unspecified later date when it will be closed again). In the original bridge construction schedule released in May it should have been fully completed in September, so it seems that something significant has happened to cause them to pause work & fall so far behind schedule.
I wonder if they’ll add an extra northbound lane? n the June 2017 construction newsletter it did say 3 x southbound lanes and 2 x northbound lanes with a completion date of December 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#2336 Post by Mr Smith » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 am

[Shuz] wrote:

I strongly doubt they will run a tunnel portal that far. From the readings it indicates 'short tunnels under HBR and SDBD' which tends to indicate 2 tunnels rather than 1 long one.

I cant see the big deal going over the top in that area. It basically Brickworks, an oval and a pub plus some run down old shops and the cemetery. It's hardly the eastern suburbs.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2337 Post by Listy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 am

rockthenation wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 am
Listy wrote:Work on the Taylor bridge widening has halted (a few weeks ago I think, as none of the earthmoving equipment nearby has moved for a while) & been postponed until 'early 2018', and linear path will be temporarily reinstated under the bridge from Dec 15 (until an unspecified later date when it will be closed again). In the original bridge construction schedule released in May it should have been fully completed in September, so it seems that something significant has happened to cause them to pause work & fall so far behind schedule.
I wonder if they’ll add an extra northbound lane? n the June 2017 construction newsletter it did say 3 x southbound lanes and 2 x northbound lanes with a completion date of December 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If an extra lane is built on the eastern side, I doubt it will happen soon - To the immediate north of the river is the cemetery (state heritage listed), with grave plots just a few metres from the footpath to be moved, and to the south is a fairly new building built right up to the edge of South Rd & the river bank. Canon only just moved in there a few months ago & I'm guessing they won't want to move out again in a hurry - I imagine the lease would be at least 5 years.

Llessur2002

#2338 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

Mr Smith wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 am
[Shuz] wrote:

I strongly doubt they will run a tunnel portal that far. From the readings it indicates 'short tunnels under HBR and SDBD' which tends to indicate 2 tunnels rather than 1 long one.

I cant see the big deal going over the top in that area. It basically Brickworks, an oval and a pub plus some run down old shops and the cemetery. It's hardly the eastern suburbs.
Until you get just south of Brickworks where the area becomes very residential which, especially on the eastern side, includes many character properties just like the eastern suburbs. No one wants a freeway flyover within spitting distance of their home. A lowered road would be acceptable, as would a tunnel but that still leaves big questions over land acquisitions of character properties.

Just south of Brickworks there's the brand new community centre on the western side of the road and the heritage-listed West Thebarton Hotel immediately opposite on the eastern side. Further south there's the Thebarton Theatre and Municipal Hall (both state heritage listed) directly opposite St George College. Just north of those there are several local heritage listed buildings (Queen of Angels Church and the former Thebarton Town Hall and Police Station) on the eastern side South Road opposite about 1 km worth of contributory heritage listed properties. All directly fronting South Road. How do those dilemmas get solved? Not easily or without significant backlash by local residents/heritage groups etc.

rhino

#2339 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Just need the front of the cemetery and a few warehouses. The question is where does the it end, if It's elevated would it go all the way to the ANZAC highway underpass?

Goodsy your green line on your image completely misses the Taylors Bridge, which is in the middle of being widened to accommodate this roadwork as we speak. While it is a nice smooth curve, I think you have it in the wrong place.
cheers,
Rhino

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2340 Post by Goodsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:09 pm

rhino wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:02 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Goodsy your green line on your image completely misses the Taylors Bridge, which is in the middle of being widened to accommodate this roadwork as we speak. While it is a nice smooth curve, I think you have it in the wrong place.
the bridge will still need to be there for the surface road