[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2401 Post by bits » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Norman wrote: The Makin Mattresses factory might be a bit more difficult to move, as they would need to move to a large site somewhere else.
Check the other side of the road for properties that look ideal to purchase.
I agree near Pym land will come from west side, but closer to Regency is surely east side.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2402 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:18 pm

bits wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Norman wrote: The Makin Mattresses factory might be a bit more difficult to move, as they would need to move to a large site somewhere else.
Check the other side of the road for properties that look ideal to purchase.
I agree near Pym land will come from west side, but closer to Regency is surely east side.
This is what I feel too. This will provide a chance to adjust the less 'Motorway-like' eastern carriageway.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2403 Post by rev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:41 pm

bits wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 am
Shuz, so Regency Rd over north-south motorway, sounds smart.
Need to use Tafe land which is government transfer, might need Cooper's land but maybe not. But also you still need all the business south of Regency removed from the motorway.
You would need to buy all the eastern side of South Rd then further up at the sports field swap to the west side, demolish all them, widen road enough to leave a service road on the west and have the motorway next to that.
No, it would be an overpass OVER Regency road, not Regency road over South Road/NS Motorway.

rev

#2404 Post by rev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 am
Rev, have you got a link to your source?

It would make sense for Regency Road to be the overpass as there's currently a land buffer of approximately 25-30m north of Regency Road between the road and the Regency TAFE buildings and also the Coopers Brewery land which is currently a sporting field. A new road overpass could be built on this land which would have virtually no traffic impact to either the North-South Motorway and Regency Road during construction except for when the bridge beams would need to be put into place and for the switch over to the new on and off ramps from the North-South Motorway onto Regency Road overpass.

Also, it would minimize the 'roller-coaster' effect of the overall North South Motorway. It seems rather silly if heading southbound to the city that one will be traversing the elevated Superway down to ground level, up again on an overpass, down again to ground level and then down again into a trench all within the space of 2.5km. A very undulating drive for a short distance - it should be a smoothed out and flat as practically possible.

$15m for land acquisition seems a bit light - you could only get that much worth for acquiring the homes and a couple of businesses on the eastern side of South Road between Pym and Regency.
If they go with the eastern side, there's about 25 properties. Only two are commercial.
Houses on that side probably average between 350-400k.
Part of the Polonia soccer ground spectator area on the boundary will be taken up, an area which is about as wide as the existing South Road. If they do that, then the $15 million makes sense.
If you look at what they've done so far, there's been land acquired/homes demolished on the western side all the way up to Pym Street.
They may decide to continue on the western side and closer to Regency switch to the eastern side, so adding a slight 'bend' in the road alignment. You'd be looking at closer to 40 properties then.

What they do with Pym Street is what I'm more interested in.

And no, don't have a source I can post. Was physical, not online what I was reading.

[Shuz]

#2405 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Surely Pym will be a setup not to dissimilar to Hawker / Hurtle Streets.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#2406 Post by rev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 am

But the trench will finish well before Pym..

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2407 Post by rockthenation » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 am

rev wrote:But the trench will finish well before Pym..
They would have the scope to go under Pym St. surely judging by the amount of free land on the western side of it and it’d be too soon to go over it given how close the trench between Pym St, and Torrens Rd, finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChillyPhilly

#2408 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm

I made this quickly - it shows the cadastre of the properties and Polonia Reserve that would be affected.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2409 Post by how good is he » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm

That's excellent ChillyPhilly. To the forum, so you think a trench under Pym St and then and Overpass over Regency Rd is the likely outcome?

ChillyPhilly

#2410 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm not sure. Polonia is the priority though, as it's not just a park - it's a dedicated football pitch and the home of Croydon Kings in the NPL. I understand that the Scoping Report has called for an elevated option over Regency Road.

I suppose it would depend on how this new link connects to the existing Motorway and what other changes will be required (e.g. removing/grade separating the right-turn lanes). The outcome that delivers the best economic benefit is what will happen.

rev

#2411 Post by rev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm
I made this quickly - it shows the cadastre of the properties and Polonia Reserve that would be affected.

Yeh as I said, close to 40 properties on both sides.
I think they might do a bit of a switch, go up the western side, and then just before those businesses, switch to the east. Cheaper to buy out the houses instead multiple millions per business, and there's quite a few businesses there not just at the front, but at the rear as well.

Hm..perhaps they'll sink Regency road slightly at the intersection, so the overpass doesn't need as big of a 'run up' and doesn't need to be as high, which would make it easier on trucks considering they would have either just come back up to the surface or just got down from the superway..

bits
Legendary Member!

#2412 Post by bits » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Regency over South still seems better to me.
6 lane freeway bridge for North-south motorway vs 4 lane arterial bridge for Regency.
Less interference of South Rd traffic etc.

rev

#2413 Post by rev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm
Regency over South still seems better to me.
6 lane freeway bridge for North-south motorway vs 4 lane arterial bridge for Regency.
Less interference of South Rd traffic etc.
That's not logical though.
South Road/Cross Road overpass. There's traffic lights below. South Road continues over it all.
Apply that to South Road/Regency Road, except using your idea of the overpass being on Regency road and not South road. It defeats the purpose of creating a non-stop north-south motorway.

They could do it, but it would be far more expensive because there would need to be the whole "spaghetti" thing going on with on/off ramps from regency road leading onto south road and vice versa. That would see the majority of the southern part of the Tafe campus car parks, the grassed area at Coopers Brewery, and a lot of the properties on the eastern side of the intersection being cleared to make way for all this.

Whereas an overpass on South Road over Regency could work like the Superway does over Grand Junction road, except it wouldn't be as long and the on/off ramps wouldn't need to be elevated from ground level. If you need to get off the motorway and onto Regency you take the slip lane/exit on your left, to either turn left onto Regency or turn right, at a signaled intersection below the overpass. To get on to the motorway a similar thing. Much cheaper and simpler.
And if they sink the Regency intersection, the overpass wont need to be as long as the South Road/Cross road overpass.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#2414 Post by Splashmo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Wouldn’t it just be the the properties on the western side that would be affected? Surely the motorway has to go under Regency Road like the rest of the project.

bits
Legendary Member!

#2415 Post by bits » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 am

I wanted to remind myself what the scoping report said about interchange points.

If you are wondering for your convenience:

https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__ ... rategy.pdf
"The non-stop Motorway component of the North-South Corridor will be directly connected to
intersecting arterial roads via interchanges located at Regency Road, Port Road/Grange Road/
Manton Street, Sir Donald Bradman Drive/James Congdon Drive, Anzac Highway, Cross Road,
Ayliffes Road /Shepherds Hill Road and Sturt Road. "

"Regency Rd Interchange
-Provides strategic access to the North-South Corridor for freight vehicles from surrounding industry and access to the intermodal terminal at Kilburn.

Port Rd/Grange Rd Interchanges
-Port Rd and Grange Rd are located in close proximity, so best functionality is to provide split diamond interchange.

Sir Donald Bradman Drive and James Congdon Drive Interchange
-The arrangement utilises James Congdon Drive for access to the city.

Anzac Highway and Cross Road Interchanges
-Functionality is provided by the split diamond interchange between the two intersections enabling
access between strategic freight, national land link and key feeder roads.

Tonsley Park/Ayliffes Rd/Shepherds Hill Road Interchange
-Tonsley Park to become major centre with 25,000 trips per day using the interchange.

Southern Expressway (SEXY)/Flinders Drive Interchange
-Enable connections between North-South Corridor and key educational and medical precincts. "

"R4 was split into two road project sections as it appeared too large and costly (significantly greater than $1B) to deliver as one project. An approximate midpoint was chosen between the split diamond interchange of James Congdon Drive and Sir Donald Bradman Drive. Splitting R4 at this location also unlocks transport benefits for each of the new road project sections by connecting major crossing arterial roads to the motorway. "