[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2492 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 pm

This was one of the renders recently included in some correspondence

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2493 Post by how good is he » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 am

What I don’t get is why another bridge (or a dual carriage way bridge) wasnt planned to take traffic from Ayliffes Rd over the same intersection but heading South?

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2494 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 am
What I don’t get is why another bridge (or a dual carriage way bridge) wasnt planned to take traffic from Ayliffes Rd over the same intersection but heading South?
It's hard to see from that drawing exactly what is going on behind the bridge, however, it appears that there is both a local/surface road and a freeway on-ramp available to vehicles coming from Ayliffes Road. Both appear to also be options from the surface road of South Road north of the intersection.

It would have to be a separate bridge from the one in the picture, due to the different direction and landing point of the southbound bridge. So a second bridge would need to start from Ayliffes Road, pass over Shepherds Hill Road while curving left, then descend to merge with the traffic coming from South Road surface lanes before merging onto the freeway.

I see potential road safety issues with the curved bridge and double merge. I also see potential engineering concerns with the lateral forces on the bridge through the curve.

I guess somebody made a cost-benefit decision about solving those problems adequately, and decided that the interleaved merge created by traffic lights is better than trying to make it a free-flowing merge given where the trffic is coming from anyway.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2495 Post by how good is he » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:17 am

Ok fair points, so maybe they should have made it an underpass instead considering the amount of money they are spending (esp on this intersection). It would have been a relatively modest amount of $$$ to do it. It would then have been non stop starting from the Goodwood Rd & Daws Rd intersection all the way South. Btw, anyone know if/when that re-alignment with Springbank Rd (through Bedford industries) will start?

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2496 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 am

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:17 am
Ok fair points, so maybe they should have made it an underpass instead considering the amount of money they are spending (esp on this intersection). It would have been a relatively modest amount of $$$ to do it. It would then have been non stop starting from the Goodwood Rd & Daws Rd intersection all the way South. Btw, anyone know if/when that re-alignment with Springbank Rd (through Bedford industries) will start?
There are three sets of lights along FiveAsh/Ayliffes between Springbank and Shep's Hill - two pedestrian crossings and the intersection adjacent Pasadena Foodland.

Once the majority of South Rd traffic is removed from this intersection, I imagine that Ayliffes Rd will become the major road through this intersection, with traffic light sequencing to suit. Most of the current traffic issues at the moment result from South Rd being given equal/higher priority
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2497 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:59 am

The bridge from Ayliffes Road isn't required because the point of this project is to create a North-South freight freeway, not a commuter freeway network. The bridge to Ayliffes Road is required to stop traffic banking up on the freeway because traffic is stuck at traffic lights a few hundred metres from the freeway.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#2498 Post by fifty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am

There was plenty of room for a south bound Ayliffes bridge landing where the surface Ayliffes merges with the sunken freeway. As others have said they already have the north bound Ayliffes exit so the extra cost would have been minimal.

There are plenty of non-frieght features being incorporated in to the freeway build, what's another few tens of mil for an extra bridge pillon to solve an obvious bottleneck?

Also, what's up with the six lanes of north bound surface south rd in that pic? Not including the freeway lanes. Surely overkill!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SBD

#2499 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:33 am

fifty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am
There was plenty of room for a south bound Ayliffes bridge landing where the surface Ayliffes merges with the sunken freeway. As others have said they already have the north bound Ayliffes exit so the extra cost would have been minimal.

There are plenty of non-frieght features being incorporated in to the freeway build, what's another few tens of mil for an extra bridge pillon to solve an obvious bottleneck?

Also, what's up with the six lanes of north bound surface south rd in that pic? Not including the freeway lanes. Surely overkill!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I'm not an engineer, but the idea of building a curved bridge with sufficient safety features to retain a runaway B-double that hits the outside barrier on the curve sounds like it would end up looking pretty bulky and ugly.

I expect that the plan is to make traffic choose the North-South corridor where possible, so improving the flow on the other roads is not a priority. Ayliffes Road is an alternative to entering at Emerson.

rhino

#2500 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am

fifty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am
I count 3 northbound lanes: one at the far western side, and two more heading north from the Shepherds Hill Road junction. Where are the other three?
cheers,
Rhino

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2501 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:05 am

Looks like you won't be able to turn right onto south from Ayliffes?

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#2502 Post by Mr Messy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:10 am

Ben wrote:Looks like you won't be able to turn right onto south from Ayliffes?
You couldn't turn right there before the project started, so it's unlikely they'll include it after

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#2503 Post by kymbosa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:43 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 am
Most of the current traffic issues at the moment result from South Rd being given equal/higher priority
That’s a massive problem. The priority of moving traffic through that intersection is all wrong, and has been for ages.

South Road traffic should have been before five ash drive traffic, instead it’s the other way around.

The traffic first comes off Sheapards Hill, lights change to let FiveAsh drive traffic enter South Road, this than has a flow on effect. As a result of FiveAsh traffic heading south, in peak it fills up the lanes between Sturt and that intersection.

What should have happened is once sheapards hill traffic had gone through the intersection, it should have than been south road before FiveAsh.

Any way, looks great what they are doing and everyday I drive through the hole in the middle is being made bigger!

This weekend they install the flinders drive bridge and intersection changes at FiveAsh happen.
FC5CCF13-3711-48A3-92EE-F42BE208443E.jpeg
FC5CCF13-3711-48A3-92EE-F42BE208443E.jpeg (292.75 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
33A992AC-BA62-4105-9316-012B000364EE.jpeg
33A992AC-BA62-4105-9316-012B000364EE.jpeg (161.08 KiB) Viewed 3532 times

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2504 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Fairly sure I saw a crane base at the ayliffes intersection.

SBD

#2505 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Is this another bridge that will be built down the road a bit, then driven up and put in place one weekend? I think I recall there were going to be two, and only one has been positioned so far.