[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2581 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 pm

https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/ns ... pym_street
North–South Corridor, Regency Road to Pym Street Project Announcement

On, Tuesday 1 May 2018, the South Australian and Australian Governments announced joint funding for the construction of a new section of the North-South Corridor, Regency Road to Pym Street, connecting the already completed South Road Superway and the Torrens Road to River Torrens Project that is due for completion later this year. Once the Torrens Road to River Torrens and Northern Connector Projects have been completed in 2018 and 2019, the Regency Road to Pym Street Project will complete a 47km non-stop free flow roadway between Gawler and the River Torrens.
I think the web site went live a few hours early.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2582 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Here's the confirmation

Stephen Knoll is shaping up to be a great Transport and City of Adelaide Minister
Next part of North-South corridor upgrade to go ahead as governments agree to split $354m cost
Sheradyn Holderhead, Federal Political Editor, The Advertiser

POLITICAL gridlock on South Rd has eased as the federal and state governments announce they will split the cost of upgrading a key stretch of road in Adelaide’s western suburbs.

Both governments will commit $177 million to deliver the next stage of Adelaide’s North-South Corridor, from Regency Rd to Pym St, at a total cost of $354 million.

The congestion-busting project will connect the South Rd Superway to the Torrens to Torrens project through a new 1.8km, six-lane non-stop motorway, slashing travel times by up to eight minutes.

It comes amid a pledge to meet the “done in a decade” promise for the corridor that would result in a non-stop journey from Gawler to Old Noarlunga by 2023.

Federal Cities Minister Paul Fletcher will announce the deal in Adelaide today with SA Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll. South Australians can expect Treasurer Scott Morrison to allocate more infrastructure projects in next week’s Federal Budget.

It is a stark turnaround from last year’s post-Budget bust-up, when the former SA Labor Government claimed the state was “dudded” by a lack of new spending.

But federal minister Christopher Pyne said at the time that Labor had failed to submit any thorough bids for infrastructure funding.

Mr Fletcher said he was “delighted” the incoming Marshall Government had come to the table quickly to progress the next stage of the North-South Corridor allowing the two governments to reach an early funding deal.

“Delivery of this next stage will complete a continuous 47km non-stop motorway between Gawler and the River Torrens.

“This project will improve road safety, reduce travel times by up to eight minutes between Regency Rd to Pym St during peak periods ... and deliver 210 new jobs per annum for SA.”

Construction works on Regency Rd to Pym St were expected to start in 2019.

Mr Knoll said both governments were working closely to deliver key infrastructure projects across the state.

“The Marshall Government will seek to work constructively with the Federal Government to deliver more funding to complete important infrastructure projects like the North-South Corridor,” he said.

“A few days after being sworn in as minister, I travelled to Canberra to begin repairing our relationship with the Federal Government that the previous Labor administration had destroyed.”

SA Labor had included the project in its State Budget last year with a $415 million price tag but it was only willing to foot about $80 million of the total, seeking 80 per cent of the cost from the Federal Government.

Infrastructure Australia approved the business case for the Regency Rd to Pym St project and added it its Priority Project list.

IA chief executive Philip Davies commended the former Labor Government for undertaking reviews on the completed sections of the corridor.

“Post-completion reviews are vital to assess a project’s delivery against initial expectations, and provide important lessons for governments, industry and the community regarding what worked and what did not,” he said.

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#2583 Post by prometheus2704 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:57 pm

crawf wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:47 pm

So Adelaide is getting it's very own roller coaster :lol:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2584 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Hopefully this is not the only project in the budget! But good to see progress on this.

SBD

#2585 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:18 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:00 pm
Hopefully this is not the only project in the budget! But good to see progress on this.
I suspect that budget for detailed design of the cut-and-cover tunnel(s) through Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive will be needed a year before anyone can meaningfully provide for construction budgets. The news story says they're still committed to a 2023 completion timeframe, so I suspect that planning provision is needed for at least one of the big sections in this year's budget. I'm not sure if planning and design are able to be federally funded or if that has to come completely in the state budget, ready to be able to make a costed request for next year's federal budget or election promises.

[Shuz]

#2586 Post by [Shuz] » Tue May 01, 2018 7:43 am

Will the elevated road over Regency Road continue as an elevated road to the Superway (thus becoming an extension of the Superway) or will it go back down to ground level before going up again - i.e. the roller coaster effect?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#2587 Post by Waewick » Tue May 01, 2018 7:52 am

SBD wrote:
Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:00 pm
I suspect that budget for detailed design of the cut-and-cover tunnel(s) through Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive will be needed a year before anyone can meaningfully provide for construction budgets. The news story says they're still committed to a 2023 completion timeframe, so I suspect that planning provision is needed for at least one of the big sections in this year's budget. I'm not sure if planning and design are able to be federally funded or if that has to come completely in the state budget, ready to be able to make a costed request for next year's federal budget or election promises.
That is only 5 years away.

They'd want to get a move on to even get close to this time.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2588 Post by Pikey » Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:43 am
Will the elevated road over Regency Road continue as an elevated road to the Superway (thus becoming an extension of the Superway) or will it go back down to ground level before going up again - i.e. the roller coaster effect?
Elevated the entire way, I believe.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#2589 Post by ReallyBad » Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 am

https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/ns ... pym_street image shows and text states an overpass only on Regency Road
The concept design includes:
A 1.8 kilometre section of non-stop roadway, providing three lanes in each direction
An overpass over Regency Road
Left in and left out only access at Pym Street
Full access to and from the non-stop motorway at Regency Road
Intersection upgrades at Regency Road
Two lanes in each direction on the South Road surface road to provide access to the surrounding community and local businesses
Improved cycling and pedestrian facilities
A new grade separated pedestrian and cycle overpass over South Road in the vicinity of Pym Street
Landscaping and noise barriers (where required)
The project will deliver the following benefits:
completes a continuous 47 kilometre non-stop section of the North-South Corridor between Gawler and the River Torrens
travel time savings (of 8 minutes on average) between Regency Road and Pym Street
avoid north-south delays at two (2) signalised junctions
supports an average 210 full time equivalent jobs per year
provides efficient and reliable travel
promotes active travel and links communities
provides a safer road network for all road users including drivers, passengers, motor cyclists, cyclists and pedestrians
allows more efficient access to and from key freight areas of the National Land Transport Network, the Port of Adelaide, the industrial north-west sector of Adelaide and Adelaide Airport
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2590 Post by muzzamo » Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 am

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2591 Post by AG » Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 am

The project is only at concept design stage, so the proposal could still change. It does appear the only elevated section of the new motorway section is the overpass over Regency Road - the rest of the motorway looks to be at grade including where it connects to the South Road Motorway.

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2592 Post by greenknight » Tue May 01, 2018 9:51 am

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2593 Post by Pikey » Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 am

My mistake, it will be a rollercoaster. The overpass will just cover Regency road, then back down to South road, before climbing again.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

[Shuz]

#2594 Post by [Shuz] » Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 am

I would have thought Pym Street east-west access would have been retained there as will be no east-west access across South Road or the motorway between Torrens Road and Regency Road, a distance of 1.5km. Residents in the neighbouring areas as well as the 230 and 232 bus routes will have detour to Regency or Torrens Road. Did DPTI even consult the community on this? I bet a few people won't be happy with this new arrangement.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2595 Post by rev » Tue May 01, 2018 10:34 am

So it looks like my prediction was somewhat correct, they'll acquire property from the western side and then when they near closer to Regency Road after Polonia, they'll acquire the eastern side properties, with an overpass.

Good to see the new state government isn't going to stall on this. At least we will have a large chunk of non-stop motorway done now.