[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2626 Post by rev » Thu May 03, 2018 2:43 pm

metro wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:47 am
rev wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 am
greenknight wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:43 am
I would assume that the whole continuation will end up being called the North-South Motorway... they even have started putting signs up that say it -- https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.875097 ... 2!1b1!2i37
Yeh I can see them making up dozens of signs saying North South Motorway, and then less than a year after it’s all completed(finally) decide to give it a name and have to make new signs. South Australian problems. Lol

Should call it the Kaurna Motorway.
I doubt the state/fed govt would name such a big project to remember the people the land was stolen from. We need to stop dwelling on the past and move on.

More likely it will be called something like: Remembrance Motorway, Legacy Link, or Gallipoli Way. We need to remember the past, and never forget the sacrifice of our brave young diggers.
Bit of a contradiction don’t you think?

Anyway it was just an idea, you know since the Kaurna people’s traiditional tribal lands included the Adelaide plains, and this road runs the length..certainly a lot more relevant then yet another reference to Australia’s war history.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2627 Post by Eurostar » Thu May 03, 2018 4:46 pm

I think Southern Expressway should be named Onkaparinga Expressway. The Northern Connector should just be Sturt Highway

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#2628 Post by madelaide » Thu May 03, 2018 10:48 pm

metro wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:47 am

...We need to stop dwelling on the past and move on.

...We need to remember the past, and never forget...

wow. i like your moxy, metro. i declare we call this stretch of road 'Stop Dwelling on the Past and Remember the Past, and Never Forget Boulevard'.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2629 Post by ml69 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 am

Should get a shortlist of 5-6 names, then put it to a public vote .... that way the community feels it has input.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2630 Post by ml69 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:38 am

Also, what happens to the name of the surface-level road adjoining the expressway/motorway? Will South Rd have to change its name? This bit could get complicated.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2631 Post by ml69 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 am

I'd like to do divide it into 3 section names:
- Retain the Southern Expressway name for the existing section South of Darlington. People are already used to it, it's familiar and describes where the section is going.
- For the section north of Grand Junction Rd (currently Northern Connector in pre-construction stage), call it Northern Expressway, for same reasons as Southern Expressway. Hence the existing Northern Expressway doesn't have to be renamed.
- And I like Kaurna Expressway for the middle section connecting Northern and Southern Expressways. It's different and meaningful. The surface road in this section (currently South Rd) should be renamed Kaurna Rd. We've renamed major roads before ... eg Burbridge Rd to Sir Donald Bradman Dr.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2632 Post by Listy » Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 am

ml69 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:36 am
Should get a shortlist of 5-6 names, then put it to a public vote .... that way the community feels it has input.
You know if that happens it'll end up getting called Roady McRoadface :lol:

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2633 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 am

Interesting (subjectively) snippet:
South Road of today was until the 1970s known by a string of names: Shillabeer Avenue (north of Torrens Road), Government Road (between Torrens and Port Roads), John Street (Port to Grange Roads), Taylors Road (between Grange and Henley Beach Roads), Fisher Terrace (Henley Beach Road to Anzac Highway), and South Road from Anzac Highway southwards.

rhino

#2634 Post by rhino » Fri May 04, 2018 9:27 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 am
Interesting (subjectively) snippet:
South Road of today was until the 1970s known by a string of names: Shillabeer Avenue (north of Torrens Road), Government Road (between Torrens and Port Roads), John Street (Port to Grange Roads), Taylors Road (between Grange and Henley Beach Roads), Fisher Terrace (Henley Beach Road to Anzac Highway), and South Road from Anzac Highway southwards.
I thought it was consolidated earlier than that, I used to go into town from Henley on the bus as a kid in the late 1960s and it was South Road then. I seem to have lost my old man's 1968 Fullers Street Directory, unfortunately. When my Dad bought a car in '69 and we started driving around, I remember South Road ending at a stop sign at Regency Road, with fields beyond. Regency Road had no kerb on the northern side, and looked like a country road on that stretch.
cheers,
Rhino

Llessur2002

#2635 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am

I admit my source was Wikipedia so I presume there's some flexibility around the dates there. It's interesting to see how many sections it was split into - I knew about the Government Road as I have seen some old maps of my local area but didn't know about the others.

Have always thought that South Road is a weird name for a road which doesn't exclusively run south, nor is it located to the south of the city. West/Western Road would be understandable, as would North-South Road...

claybro

#2636 Post by claybro » Fri May 04, 2018 11:38 am

Eurostar wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:46 pm
I think Southern Expressway should be named Onkaparinga Expressway. The Northern Connector should just be Sturt Highway
Freeways, expressways and highways are different standards. (why they have introduced motorway into the mix, I'm not sure). By all means, call the Northern connector Sturt Expressway...but not Sturt highway.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2637 Post by rev » Fri May 04, 2018 11:47 am

Or, alternatively, instead of naming it after a person or place or group, how about we just call it the M2?
I assume it's going to be the M2 for the entire length in the metro area, just rename the NEXY from M20 to M2.
The South Eastern Freeway is the M1..

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#2638 Post by mawsonguy » Fri May 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Interesting comment by the South Australian Freight Council (https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/industry ... nding-move) that its "preferred position is for the North South Corridor to be built from North to South, continuing next with the Torrens River to Richmond Road segment, extending the uninterrupted length of road – and then to progress further south as further funds are committed." This appears to be based on its position that "road freight and warehousing activity is concentrated in Adelaide’s north-west, with easy access to the port and airport precincts."

Looks like the poor citizens of our southern suburbsa might be waiting awhile.

Llessur2002

#2639 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:12 pm

But it's an interesting point about the surface roads though, which I hadn't really thought about before.

I presume that they will have a different name to the lowered section - or will they just be, for example, the North-South Motorway surface roads?

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] M2 Name

#2640 Post by mawsonguy » Fri May 04, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm a bit tired of everything being given aboriginal place names. I also understand why others are tired of things receiving names from our military history. Perhaps we could have a name to commemorate the contribution of famous South Australians e.g. Oliphant, Bragg etc. Personally I like the name "Tom Harley Freeway" in recognition of the work of this great South Australian (as Captain of a largely South Australian sourced Geelong team) who inflicted the largest losing margin in any AFL grand final upon Port Power! Given that the North-South motorway will physically separate the majority of righteous Adelaide citizens from Port Adelaide, this seems appropriate :lol: