[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2701 Post by claybro » Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks for that. Interesting to note, they have marked Regency as an elevated overpass? I know the regency intersection has been discussed previously. Seems odd given it will come down from the elevated superway, along ground level, elevated again over regency? Then lowered trench around Pym? A bit of a roller coaster, I would have thought it would be better/ cheaper to send Regency Road under or over a surface motorway section, and service lanes, before the motorway goes into into the trench.

ChillyPhilly

#2702 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Agreed.

One thing I intentionally left out of that guide was that the bridge over the Torrens could still be surface level - but this 'requires further investigation'. For an elevated structure, it would be a fairly steep climb and then descent again.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#2703 Post by claybro » Wed May 09, 2018 11:39 pm

For heavy transport they really need to avoid too much undulation. To get large trucks accelerating and decelarating constantly is inefficient and noisy, all the things the motorway is supposed to rectify.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2704 Post by how good is he » Thu May 10, 2018 1:32 am

I agree and based on these discussions and the way it is heading it could become the South Rd Supercoaster ...!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#2705 Post by neoballmon » Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 pm

I've made a quick sketch of what south road should look like based on the current plan. It's on the assumption that all sections will be completed at ground level to prevent them being dug up for an adjoining section.
Definitely a rollercoaster.Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2706 Post by Goodsy » Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 pm
Definitely a rollercoaster.
It's only a roller coaster when you lay it out like that. In reality you'd barely notice the grade changes

SBD

#2707 Post by SBD » Thu May 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 pm
neoballmon wrote:
It's only a roller coaster when you lay it out like that. In reality you'd barely notice the grade changes
I admit to only using a car, not a truck, but I don't think I change down a gear to accelerate from 60km/h at Regency Road to 90km/h on the elevated superway road, and I'm certain that cruise control doesn't struggle with the ups and downs on the superway itself. Yes, I notice the grade changes crossing Cross Road and Anzac Highway, but they aren't too much of a hassle. Not as significant as the drive home to the east side of a northern suburb, or any driving in the Adelaide Hills.

Does anyone know why the superway has undulations in it? It seems high enough that it could have just been flat from one end to the other.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2708 Post by ml69 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Goodsy wrote:
neoballmon wrote:
It would be no different to driving on a road over gently undulating topography.

ChillyPhilly

#2709 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 10, 2018 10:20 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:09 pm
Goodsy wrote:
neoballmon wrote:
I admit to only using a car, not a truck, but I don't think I change down a gear to accelerate from 60km/h at Regency Road to 90km/h on the elevated superway road, and I'm certain that cruise control doesn't struggle with the ups and downs on the superway itself. Yes, I notice the grade changes crossing Cross Road and Anzac Highway, but they aren't too much of a hassle. Not as significant as the drive home to the east side of a northern suburb, or any driving in the Adelaide Hills.

Does anyone know why the superway has undulations in it? It seems high enough that it could have just been flat from one end to the other.
I'm no engineer but I'd guess that the undulations are an intentional provision for expansion/contraction (aware there are existing expansion joints) in summer.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2710 Post by Norman » Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 am

The part at the Grand Junction Road overpass needs to be higher to accommodate the trucks going underneath.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#2711 Post by Furyan » Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am

neoballmon wrote:
I've made a quick sketch of what south road should look like based on the current plan. It's on the assumption that all sections will be completed at ground level to prevent them being dug up for an adjoining section.

A good representation of this corridor. The only thing you forgot was the Ayliffes Road speed hump and the Tonsley Boulevard spoon drain. :lol:

In other words from Sturt Road it goes to grade at Ayliffes and from there to the Tonsley Boulevard underpass. Or hopefully the Nov. 2017 Darlington flythrough is not quite correct.
Last edited by Furyan on Fri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2712 Post by rev » Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 pm

SBD wrote:
Goodsy wrote:
neoballmon wrote:

It depends. Most "older" cars with cruise control, it maintains the speed on level ground, or when going up hill. When going down hill, the car speeds up. In most newer cars, if not all that have cruise control, the speed is regulated and maintained at what you set it at.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#2713 Post by mawsonguy » Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 pm

SBD wrote:
The highest point is where it crosses the railway line. It had to be higher than normal to accomodate double stacked containers on trains passing underneath. The rest of the time it drops to a more normal height, no doubt to save concrete and steel in the supporting columns.

claybro

#2714 Post by claybro » Fri May 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Furyan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am
neoballmon wrote:

A good representation of this corridor. The only thing you forgot was the Ayliffes Road speed hump and the Tonsley Boulevard spoon drain. :lol:

In other words from Sturt Road it goes to grade at Ayliffes and from there to the Tonsley Boulevard underpass. Or hopefully the Nov. 2017 Darlington flythrough is not quite correct.
This is not a normal freeway construction. I get that some of the undulations are required as the route takes in existing structures (Gallipoli Underpass/ Emerson overpass, Torrens River) etc. and immovable buildings, HOWEVER as this is largely designed for heavy commercial transport it makes no sense for the intersection of Regency to be an overpass for South Road. There is just as much space to put Regency over the motorway, with the added benefit of Regency overpass not needing to be as wide. That would allow the Motorway to remain at ground level all the way from the Superway to the commencement of the trench somewhere before Pym.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#2715 Post by aceman » Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm

i know this is looking further ahead but what do u guys think will happen at the cross road south road intersection where u have to factor in the railway line? I drive through there almost daily and everytime I go onto the overpass I try to work out how it will work there.