[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2791 Post by SBD » Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 pm
Don't suppose OTR (or anyone else for that matter) are planning a duplicate site for the other side? Similar to what you see on the Ring Rd in Melbourne or the Caboolutre centres on the Bruce Highway.
The one on Bolivar Road will be accessible to northbound traffic, so there's no need for a duplicate to the larger, Krispy Kreme one.
Kings Road is not presently permitted for B-doubles. Krispy Kreme and Hodgson Road are authorised for nothbound B-doubles and two-trailer (A-double, 36.5m) road trains. Even if the rules were updated to permit bigger trucks, there isn't space at OTR Paralowie (Port Wakefield and Bolivar Roads) to park them and turn them round to get back onto the freeway.

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#2792 Post by kenget » Mon May 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Sturt Road bridge installation happening this weekend.

Here is a link to the page with the news:

https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/ns ... whats_next

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#2793 Post by aceman » Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm

do u guys think that if they have to aquire land for the section between Tonsley and Anzac highway will it be on the eastern side of south rd? it's so hard to gauge if u look at what's on that stretch of road. on the western side u have castle plaza and a new bunnings about to be built where as on the eastern side there is a cemetery at st Mary's and the heritage Avoca hotel just to name a few examples. this section has me stumped..

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#2794 Post by Mr Messy » Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 pm

That section will be elevated between Daws and cross roads to reduce the amount of land required to be acquired

Patrick_27

#2795 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:01 am

Mr Messy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 pm
That section will be elevated between Daws and cross roads to reduce the amount of land required to be acquired
Not even just that, it's also to avoid the issue of contaminated land along this section of the corridor.

claybro

#2796 Post by claybro » Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am

aceman wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm
do u guys think that if they have to aquire land for the section between Tonsley and Anzac highway will it be on the eastern side of south rd? it's so hard to gauge if u look at what's on that stretch of road. on the western side u have castle plaza and a new bunnings about to be built where as on the eastern side there is a cemetery at st Mary's and the heritage Avoca hotel just to name a few examples. this section has me stumped..
I don't think anyone will loose much sleep over the Avoca. It has been so far removed from its heritage as to be almost irrelevant. The Avoca is no different to the Hotel at Murray Bridge they are about to raise for a new development. As for the cemetery, yes. The little church is set well back from the road, but the cemetery could be interesting. In other cities, the graves would be sensitively relocated, but this being Adelaide....hmm not sure how people will feel about this.
Mr Messy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 pm
Just because a section will be elevated, does not diminish the need for acquiring adjacent land. Remembering the superway, the pylon construction took up most of the original road width, and a new service road was constructed alongside so that traffic could continue around the construction.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2797 Post by rev » Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm

aceman wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm
Why couldn't they acquire land on both sides of the road, and instead of a straight run, we have a few bends in the road.

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#2798 Post by kenget » Thu May 24, 2018 3:53 pm

rev wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Why couldn't they acquire land on both sides of the road, and instead of a straight run, we have a few bends in the road.
Or to match the Motorways roller-coaster theme, how about a loop the loop? :banana: :banana:

Llessur2002

#2799 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm

kenget wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:53 pm
rev wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Or to match the Motorways roller-coaster theme, how about a loop the loop? :banana: :banana:
I found this render of the proposed route online:

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#2800 Post by aceman » Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 pm

thanks for the replies everyone, the Avoca was just an example. I'm not suggesting they aquire land on both sides in patches and have a winding road I was just thinking out loud about how they will tackle this section as there are hundreds of established businesses along this stretch. seems like an absolute nightmare to be honest. I use this stretch of road 10 times a day.

claybro

#2801 Post by claybro » Thu May 24, 2018 5:21 pm

aceman wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 pm
thanks for the replies everyone, the Avoca was just an example. I'm not suggesting they aquire land on both sides in patches and have a winding road I was just thinking out loud about how they will tackle this section as there are hundreds of established businesses along this stretch. seems like an absolute nightmare to be honest. I use this stretch of road 10 times a day.
No problems thinking out load on here Aceman...it keeps it interesting...keeps discussion lively. Yes there will likely be many businesses relocated, but the stretch of South road through Edwardstown has become so congested, and many of the buildings so dilapidated, that relocation might be a blessing for some if not most of these. The likes of Mcdonalds....well I don't think we should be too upset. Bulldoze the lot I say and get this road moving!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2802 Post by Norman » Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 pm

claybro wrote:Just because a section will be elevated, does not diminish the need for acquiring adjacent land. Remembering the superway, the pylon construction took up most of the original road width, and a new service road was constructed alongside so that traffic could continue around the construction.
Actually, only one full and one partial property had to be acquired for the Superway, and I believe it was a site to assemble the bridge components. The other site was the golf course.

The new South Road runs pretty much on the same alignment as the old one, remembering that it was 3 lanes in each direction originally.

claybro

#2803 Post by claybro » Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 pm

But the width of the corridor at Regency park was far wider. The sites that were acquired were huge properties, and the footpaths were significantly wider in the Regency section. Point is, with only 2 lanes each way and a median in Edwardstown, and premises right up to the footpaths, there will still need the be significant acquisition to both build the elevated road, and keep traffic flowing during construction, and provide the surface road thereafter.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2804 Post by how good is he » Thu May 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Maybe that’s why they are keeping this section to last as it’s the hardest and potentially the most ploblematic & expensive. I think they only had to buy and relocate one significant business with the T2T - a funeral parlour. They had to offer them a comparative site/parcel of land on a main road (Port Rd - part of former Pizza Hut land) but also pay for the new building and be built and ready to trade as they vacated. My estimate is $7m -$10m for one significant business/property alone. So maybe multiply that by the businesses/property that will be affected on that stretch of South Rd.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#2805 Post by aceman » Thu May 24, 2018 10:09 pm

the more we discuss this section of road the more I realise how much is involved.. it's going to cost a bloody fortune