[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2881 Post by SRW » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am

Maybe they’re an homage to the wonky lamp posts of the North Tce tram extension...
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2882 Post by SBD » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:52 am

SRW wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am
Maybe they’re an homage to the wonky lamp posts of the North Tce tram extension...
I thought it might be the poles that used to require trucks to use the centre lane on South Road through that area.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2883 Post by Mpol03 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:05 am

Mess

Waewick

#2884 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 2d5a0bed80

MOTORISTS could travel from near the CBD to the Southern Expressway through a series of South Rd tunnels, in a plan the State Government is investigating.

SBD

#2885 Post by SBD » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Waewick wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm

MOTORISTS could travel from near the CBD to the Southern Expressway through a series of South Rd tunnels, in a plan the State Government is investigating.
Hasn't the plan always been tunnels in the vicinity of Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive at least?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2886 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:40 pm

State Government puts the possibility of tunnels back on the table for North-South corridor
Matt Smith, National Affairs Editor, The Advertiser
an hour ago

Today it starts searching for engineers to check the viability of tunnels for the last two stretches of the North-South Corridor.

The series of tunnels would be built on two 5km sections of South Rd, running from the River Torrens in Hindmarsh to Anzac Highway, Glandore and from Anzac Highway to Tonsley.

It is the first of two major steps this month aimed at securing federal cash for public infrastructure.

The State Government will also next week start a process to identify a company to develop a business case for these two sections.

The business cases will be submitted to Infrastructure Australia by the end of the year. The tunnels are expected to come with a multi-billion dollar price tag.

However, Infrastructure minister Stephan Knoll told The Advertiser it was important all options were considered.

“Previously, tunnelling was not investigated in-depth due to the prohibitive cost,” Mr Knoll said.

“However, recent innovations may now mean this option is feasible to consider.”

The two sections are the final parts of a jigsaw puzzle that, once completed, would create the 78km non-stop North-South Corridor, from Gawler in the north to Old Noarlunga in the south. In May’s Federal Budget, the Government announced a $1.211 billion contribution to the North-South Corridor.

Recent innovations mean a tunnel is now a feasible option to complete the North-South corridor. Pictured is Sydney’s eastern distributor tunnel.
But proposed routes and costs are yet to be determined.

In 2009, the RAA pushed for a $2 billion tunnel from the River Torrens to Anzac Hwy, highlighting how costly a new set of tunnels, in 2018 terms, could cost.

The Infrastructure Minister at the time Patrick Conlon said: “I wouldn’t rule out some tunnel there, but they are incredibly expensive and for 6km, we’d say $2 billion is probably the lower end of an estimate and an illustration also of just how expensive tunnelling is.”

The SA Government is working to plan, prioritise and potentially accelerate funding of the remaining 10km of the corridor’s undeveloped sections.

Business plans for the sections were never submitted by the former government to Infrastructure Australia, the federal body that assesses projects and initiatives for inclusion on the Infrastructure Priority List.

It is an authoritative list of nationally significant infrastructure investments the country needs over the next 15 years.

There are no SA projects on Infrastructure Australia’s High Priority list and just one, the Eyre Infrastructure Project to increase freight capacity, is listed as a priority project.

“One of the Liberal Government’s infrastructure priorities is completing the remaining sections of the North-South Corridor,” Mr Knoll said.

“Since coming to government we have already secured $1.8 billion of new Federal Government infrastructure funding for key infrastructure projects like the Joy Baluch Bridge, Gawler Line electrification and the Pym Street to Regency section of the North-South Corridor.

“The Marshall Government will also establish Infrastructure SA (ISA), an independent body that will develop South Australia’s first 20-year State Infrastructure Strategy.”

In May, South Rd business owners raised concerns about uncertainty over the upgrade timetable.

Southern Business Connections chairman Greg Garrihy said business owners had been kept out of the loop since the initial announcement of the 10-year strategy.

“Their concerns are still the same, which is mainly not knowing what is happening (regarding) both the changes and timing,” Mr Garrihy said.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2887 Post by rev » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 am

So a tunnel to Glandore?
So they might replace the overpass at Anzac Hwy? The graphic, and I know it's the advertiser, says a tunnel to anzac hwy..

If not, the North South Roller Coast will get a little wild ..

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2888 Post by ml69 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:11 am

rev wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 am
So a tunnel to Glandore?
So they might replace the overpass at Anzac Hwy? The graphic, and I know it's the advertiser, says a tunnel to anzac hwy..

If not, the North South Roller Coast will get a little wild ..
All they're doing is including a full tunnel option in their feasibility study, which previously wasn't included as it was ruled out due to cost.

The feasibility outcome may still eventually rule out tunnels due to cost. But at least they're including it as an option now.

Even in a full tunnel scenario, I can't see why you couldn't return the tunnels to the surface at the Anzac Hwy intersection and use the existing underpass arrangement there. Would save hundreds of millions.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2889 Post by Eurostar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 am

I feel it'll be smarter and quicker to have tunnel from Glen Osmond to Emerson for the east-west connection rather than a rollercoaster

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2890 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 am

SBD wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Hasn't the plan always been tunnels in the vicinity of Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive at least?
I always thought that tunnels where thought of as options.

What i find odd, and I'm sure its a politically motivated quote, is that the feds didn't have any feasibility for these parts?

Hopefully we get funding allocated by next year.

Question for those is the know, if the do a tunnel would it be a bored out tunnel or a cut and cover tunnel?

Nort

#2891 Post by Nort » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am

I expect it would be cut and cover, although bored would be nice if tunnels did happen, give local engineers some tunnel boring experience and maybe make a CBD metro more feasible.

SBD

#2892 Post by SBD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am

Nort wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am
I expect it would be cut and cover, although bored would be nice if tunnels did happen, give local engineers some tunnel boring experience and maybe make a CBD metro more feasible.
I think the original plan had been cut-and-cover tunnels.

The tone on ABC Radio Adelaide this morning sounded like they are considering bored tunnels. They had an engineer from the Heysen tunnel project and were comparing it to tunnels in Sydney and Melbourne. They were also discussing that two three-lane tunnels would be significantly more expensive than two two-lane tunnels.

claybro

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2893 Post by claybro » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 am

Waewick wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 am
I always thought that tunnels where thought of as options.

What i find odd, and I'm sure its a politically motivated quote, is that the feds didn't have any feasibility for these parts?

Hopefully we get funding allocated by next year.

Question for those is the know, if the do a tunnel would it be a bored out tunnel or a cut and cover tunnel?
I can assure you that IA has been virtually begging the SA government for details on the N/S corridor for years. This may be a politicised quote, but it is also factual.

Nathan

#2894 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 pm

But wasn't there something about plans being submitted repeatedly to IA, but the criteria for submissions kept changing?

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#2895 Post by HiTouch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 pm

A tunnel being included somewhere was hardly surprising with this motorway.
The RAA has been lobbying for a North-South tunnel for almost a decade now.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-04-28/r ... el/1664872

https://www.news.com.au/news/raas-south ... 51cb9038a8

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-04-28/r ... al/1664882