[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3091 Post by claybro » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm
Importantly, what will serve it just as well is an upgrade to intersections along all of Salisbury Highway between Kings Road and the Motorway. I still would have liked to see the below happen:
I'm not sure I understand the desire by some here to significantly upgrade Salisbury Highway. Salisbury Highway is largely residential. The Northern suburbs will already be well served by Main North road, and the Northern connector and Expressway. Carving a new road through Ingle Farm, Pooraka and Green fields would also be unnecessary if Montague Road was upgraded to its original intended purpose of a connecting expressway, and there is ample room to do this.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3092 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 pm
I just noticed there's something missing...signs.
Both northbnd and southbnd there seem to be adequate directions. What's missing?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3093 Post by rev » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm
rev wrote:
Both northbnd and southbnd there seem to be adequate directions. What's missing?
Signage in the motorway it self? Unless I’ve missed it.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#3094 Post by alexczarn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:58 pm

rev wrote:
They're there, just very small.

ChillyPhilly

#3095 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:36 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm
Importantly, what will serve it just as well is an upgrade to intersections along all of Salisbury Highway between Kings Road and the Motorway. I still would have liked to see the below happen:
I'm not sure I understand the desire by some here to significantly upgrade Salisbury Highway. Salisbury Highway is largely residential. The Northern suburbs will already be well served by Main North road, and the Northern connector and Expressway. Carving a new road through Ingle Farm, Pooraka and Green fields would also be unnecessary if Montague Road was upgraded to its original intended purpose of a connecting expressway, and there is ample room to do this.
Traffic flow is atrocious any day of the working week and will only get worse. I dare say that most traffic trips that use the road originate and end well away from the Northern Connector. Similarly, Main North Road is generally rubbish. Too many traffic light intersections with some seriously counter-productive stop-start journeys on dangerously narrow lanes.

The road corridor above still exists and can be easily traced on satellite imagery as well as the map layer on Google Maps - bar the western end of the (formerly) proposed link between Walkleys Road and Bridge Road, where some genius approved a small little gated community development.

Agree about Montague Road, though. The MATS land reservation still exists almost its entire length bar a bit around Modbury North.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#3096 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Here's hoping the Government get serious about extending the Port River Expressway to Montague Road and converting McIntyre Road into a freeway through to at least Elizabeth via the reservation that still exists that bypasses Golden Grove. New M9 and M3?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#3097 Post by rev » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 pm

God I hope they have some sort of secret new MATS plan they're working from and aren't just winging it as the political winds blow.

claybro

#3098 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 pm
God I hope they have some sort of secret new MATS plan they're working from and aren't just winging it as the political winds blow.
I don't believe there is any serious consideration at present re cross connection of the Northern suburbs. All focus will be on completing the North/South corridor, followed then by connecting that to the SE freeway. At that point we may see some serious effort to better streamline the Portrush road to Northern suburbs route in conjunction with a major Cross road upgrade, according to reports I have read. So not exactly winging it, but no hard plans as yet.

SBD

#3099 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 am

claybro wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm
rev wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 pm
I don't believe there is any serious consideration at present re cross connection of the Northern suburbs. All focus will be on completing the North/South corridor, followed then by connecting that to the SE freeway. At that point we may see some serious effort to better streamline the Portrush road to Northern suburbs route in conjunction with a major Cross road upgrade, according to reports I have read. So not exactly winging it, but no hard plans as yet.
At some point it will be worth breaking out the popcorn to watch the stoush between the southern and eastern suburbs when they each want the other to host a nice new freeway through their heritage. :lol:

Patrick_27

#3100 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:36 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 am
At some point it will be worth breaking out the popcorn to watch the stoush between the southern and eastern suburbs when they each want the other to host a nice new freeway through their heritage. :lol:
Why do people like you have to be an arsehole about it? I would love to see your property that you've worked your whole life to own, renovate and make a home be acquired below its market value for a project like this.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#3101 Post by mawsonguy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:44 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm
Here's hoping the Government get serious about extending the Port River Expressway to Montague Road and converting McIntyre Road into a freeway through to at least Elizabeth via the reservation that still exists that bypasses Golden Grove. New M9 and M3?
As far as I can see there is no reservation for McIntyre Road to bypass Golden Grove. True, there is vacant land which, if used, could take McIntyre Rd as far as the intersection of Saints and Main North Roads but it is along the hills face with all it's political and engineering challenges.

I don't see the need to convert Montague Rd to freeway standard as traffic on it already moves fairly smoothly. Grade separation of the major intersections (Bridge, Main North and Pt Wakefield Roads) may be required in the future. I agree that it is desirable that it be linked to the PREXY given the amount of traffic that turns north onto Pt Wakefield from Montague and then west onto PREXY and then causes peak hour traffic jams. But it's not a cheap fix. A long bridge over the rail yards and a complex interchange with Salisbury Highway would be required. There are more heavily trafficed roads that deserve attention first.

SBD

#3102 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:36 pm
SBD wrote:
Why do people like you have to be an arsehole about it? I would love to see your property that you've worked your whole life to own, renovate and make a home be acquired below its market value for a project like this.
I did not intend to come across as an arsehole. I apologise for appearing that way. I haven't looked closely enough at whether the current widths of Portrush Road and Cross Road are sufficient that two-levels (either tunnel and bridge or surface and elevated) might be able to carry the road on those alignments. I accept that a route that starts with a tunnel west from the former cement works probably requires property acquisition.

I guess my "arsehole" perspective is that it is very rare for voters and politicians to advocate significant infrastructure spending in someone else's electorate.

rev

#3103 Post by rev » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
SBD wrote:
I did not intend to come across as an arsehole. I apologise for appearing that way. I haven't looked closely enough at whether the current widths of Portrush Road and Cross Road are sufficient that two-levels (either tunnel and bridge or surface and elevated) might be able to carry the road on those alignments. I accept that a route that starts with a tunnel west from the former cement works probably requires property acquisition.

I guess my "arsehole" perspective is that it is very rare for voters and politicians to advocate significant infrastructure spending in someone else's electorate.
Citylink in Melbourne hugs the Yarra between Richmond, South Yarra and Toorak. The median for Toorak is nearly $5 million. South Yarra is over $2 million. Richmond is $1.3 million.
Glen Iris has the Monash Freeway that cuts through the middle, it's a $2 million + suburb.
Take a look at the train lines that dissect Richmond as well and cuts into South Yarra. The idiots in our eastern suburbs would be demanding that be removed.

It's time the wankers in Adelaides Eastern and South Eastern suburbs got over them selves, because they aren't that special.

Aidan

[U/C] North-South Motorway

#3104 Post by Aidan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Why do people like you have to be an arsehole about it? I would love to see your property that you've worked your whole life to own, renovate and make a home be acquired below its market value for a project like this.
AIUI it would be unconstitutional for property to be acquired for below market value, yet you're the second person today I've encountered apparently claiming the government do so. Am I missing something?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3105 Post by Hooligan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:22 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am
SBD wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:

Citylink in Melbourne hugs the Yarra between Richmond, South Yarra and Toorak. The median for Toorak is nearly $5 million. South Yarra is over $2 million. Richmond is $1.3 million.
Glen Iris has the Monash Freeway that cuts through the middle, it's a $2 million + suburb.
Take a look at the train lines that dissect Richmond as well and cuts into South Yarra. The idiots in our eastern suburbs would be demanding that be removed.

It's time the wankers in Adelaides Eastern and South Eastern suburbs got over them selves, because they aren't that special.
Not to mention, Adelaide's inner west is home to some beautiful character-filled homes.

But seeing them smashed apart for a freeway is ok and the owners should just get over themselves because they are not part of the elitist inner south east?

Code: Select all

Signature removed