[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3136 Post by Goodsy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:25 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:49 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:41 pm
I don't see why it needs to be a bored tunnel. Essentially what they're doing is putting a road beneath a road, so why not a cut and cover tunnel?
Because we'd want any freeway grade road along there to be wider than Portrush Road currently is. Doing that you'd need to acquire property on one side or the other, and cut off everyone's driveway access while they dig out the road
What does Portrush road have to do with the North/South motorway?
Portrush road was being discussed in the previous comments, so I assumed we were talking about it.

That being said. my response can apply to any future tunnel on any corridor, east/west or north/south

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3137 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 pm

kenget wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm
Will the tunnel have any entry/exit points along it's route, or just at either end?
Personally I think Anzac Hwy, Sir Donald Bradman Dr and the City Ring route is a must for having entries/exits. The maybes for me would be Cross Rd, Daws Rd and then the exit near or at Henley Beach Rd.
I'd expect that Cross Road access is essential to access the motorway in both directions unless an alternative link from Portrush Road and the South Eastern Freeway is already well into construction by the time the North-South motorway opened. It is the main link from the southeast to the airport and the eastern suburbs to the southern suburbs. Those uses don't change even if Portrush Road becomes the freeway from the southeast to Port Adelaide.

SBD

#3138 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 pm

rev wrote:
Goodsy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:49 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:41 pm
I don't see why it needs to be a bored tunnel. Essentially what they're doing is putting a road beneath a road, so why not a cut and cover tunnel?
Because we'd want any freeway grade road along there to be wider than Portrush Road currently is. Doing that you'd need to acquire property on one side or the other, and cut off everyone's driveway access while they dig out the road
There'd also be less disruptions to traffic on South Road.

Even with a tunnel, especially one that is 10.5km long, they're going to need to acquire some property still.
Will the tunnel have any entry/exit points along it's route, or just at either end?
Also, with modern tunnels and the safety measures built in, there'd need to be some above ground facilities and services built.

A billion dollars to acquire properties, or a tunnel. Personally I think if it comes down to cost, they wont do a tunnel but will continue the trench and acquire properties.
Politically, and what might cost the government votes and a second term in power? then they'll go tunnel, especially if the federal government is going to contribute a substantial amount.

Personally I'm hoping for a tunnel, that has some exit/entry points along the route, but I think a tunnel is highly unlikely.
I imagine that the cost of a bored tunnel depends a lot on things that are not readily visible to us - the depth of the water table and whether it is all silt or if there is rock. If those things are amenable, a tunnel can be deep enough to save the cost of a lot of the "service relocation" that has been needed for the trench sections and road widening.

I wonder what the laws and restrictions are on tunnelling under private land. How deep would it have to be to come under mining laws instead of property laws? The state already owns the mining rights.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#3139 Post by dbl96 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am

kenget wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 pm
rev wrote:
Personally I think Anzac Hwy, Sir Donald Bradman Dr and the City Ring route is a must for having entries/exits. The maybes for me would be Cross Rd, Daws Rd and then the exit near or at Henley Beach Rd.
As has been discussed previously on this forum, the Cross Rd intersection will be the important of them all, because that intersection will be where freight from the South-Eastern Freeway joins the North-South Corridor.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#3140 Post by alexczarn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:38 am

Still 60km/h on the N-S Mwy this morning.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3141 Post by HiTouch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Went for a drive on the T2T part of the Motorway. I gotta say, its probably the most unremarkable development of the road. They should have made it longer, connected it with the Super way. When the Superway was done, it felt like you were going places.

What really grinds my gears and rattles my Knick knacks is that this road is 60kph and the bottleneck at the Southern end feels like it makes up for all the time supposedly gained. 20 minute bottleneck, kid you not.

claybro

#3142 Post by claybro » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:27 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Went for a drive on the T2T part of the Motorway. I gotta say, its probably the most unremarkable development of the road. They should have made it longer, connected it with the Super way. When the Superway was done, it felt like you were going places.

What really grinds my gears and rattles my Knick knacks is that this road is 60kph and the bottleneck at the Southern end feels like it makes up for all the time supposedly gained. 20 minute bottleneck, kid you not.
You do realise the speed limit will increase shortly once everyone is used to it? You do also realise the next section to commence shortly will connect it with the superway. I assume you also know that it is planed within a decade to be completely non stop from the Southern Expressway to the Northern Expressway?

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3143 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm

claybro wrote:
HiTouch wrote:

You do realise the speed limit will increase shortly once everyone is used to it? You do also realise the next section to commence shortly will connect it with the superway. I assume you also know that it is planed within a decade to be completely non stop from the Southern Expressway to the Northern Expressway?
I don’t like the drivers need to get used to it excuse for 60 kph. Lots of roads are new to drivers when they travel. If you’re a competent driver you quickly adapt. If the road is finished to the 80 kph standard then stop f**k arsing about and make it so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

claybro

#3144 Post by claybro » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm
claybro wrote:
HiTouch wrote:

I don’t like the drivers need to get used to it excuse for 60 kph. Lots of roads are new to drivers when they travel. If you’re a competent driver you quickly adapt. If the road is finished to the 80 kph standard then stop f**k arsing about and make it so!

From memory the Superway was set a 60km/h for a few weeks after opening...but yes, do agree is seems a bit precious.

rhino

#3145 Post by rhino » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:06 pm

I understood that the 60km/h limit was temporary until the bitumen settled. That could be wrong, but that's what I heard when it opened. And, as has been said before, the Superway had the same issue.
cheers,
Rhino

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3146 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:11 pm

rhino wrote:I understood that the 60km/h limit was temporary until the bitumen settled. That could be wrong, but that's what I heard when it opened. And, as has been said before, the Superway had the same issue.
See, that is a more believable excuse than drivers need to get used to it. I’m not across how bitumen reacts to say a fully loaded 18-wheeler when it is freshly laid.

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SBD

#3147 Post by SBD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:11 pm
rhino wrote:I understood that the 60km/h limit was temporary until the bitumen settled. That could be wrong, but that's what I heard when it opened. And, as has been said before, the Superway had the same issue.
See, that is a more believable excuse than drivers need to get used to it. I’m not across how bitumen reacts to say a fully loaded 18-wheeler when it is freshly laid.

Most roads that get new full-depth bitumen are limited to 40 or 60 to start with. I assumed it had to do with oils leaching out making it slippery. You don't notice so much if it is re-laying an existing road.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3148 Post by rev » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:11 pm

It’s not an excuse.
Relax. What different does it make if it’s not set to 80 from day one? You’re travelling non stop, so you’re saving time regardless.

rhino

#3149 Post by rhino » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:19 am

rev wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 pm
You’re travelling non stop, so you’re saving time regardless.
/\/\ This /\/\
cheers,
Rhino

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#3150 Post by Bacon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:00 am

Was reading about the Pym to Regency upgrade and found some interesting info -

https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/ns ... pym_street says:
The concept design includes:

Left in and left out only access at Pym Street
whereas http://investment.infrastructure.gov.au ... 41-17SA-NP says:
The project also includes:

Grade separation of Pym Street under the motorway
(The Federal site says Project details last updated: 17/09/2018)