[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3211 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Bacon wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 pm
Re. T2T landscaping, they’ve just installed pop-up sprinklers along the southbound surface road off ramp, I think we should wait and see the final product.
Thanks Bacon, interesting to know. Where abouts exactly?

The trouble with waiting to see the finished product is that once it's done it's done - the community will have no further say on the outcome once the project is complete and signed-off. If it's rubbish then that'll be it forever. Better to push hard now and ensure what was promised is delivered than gamble on whether it is or not.

In this case seeing as T2T and Charles Sturt have openly advised that the trees on the surface roads will no longer be planted, I think that concern and community action is warranted. One of the cost-saving measures floated was apparently to cut down on trees and shrubs and

If there are no trees for shade, then there's essentially 3km (well, 6km if you count both sides) of brand new footpath which will be unsuable for 4-5 months of the year. Not to mention the effect that trees will have on reducing the visual impact of the noise wall and helping to insulate neighbouring properties from the road noise.

I'll be interested to see what the new landscaping renders show...

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3212 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:38 pm

Driving through the T2T tonight and I noticed the temporary (flashing) 60 signs are now permanent (not flashing) 60 signs.

I hope that's an error.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3213 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am
To be fair, the majority of the traffic will now flow through the trench. I think bus indents have fallen out of favour, especially where bike lanes are employed.
Twenty years ago, bus trips were slower than they are today. The vehicles' performance isn't much different to twenty years ago, but trip times have improved. How? A few technological innovations that mean buses spend less time at stops. These days, buses are low floor and most passengers pay by smart card. The next step to improving trip times is allowing all door boarding on all buses.

Twenty years ago, motorists would get frustrated while the bus was at a stop. Today, buses spend less time at stops, so there isn't a need for bus bays.

SBD

#3214 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am
To be fair, the majority of the traffic will now flow through the trench. I think bus indents have fallen out of favour, especially where bike lanes are employed.
Twenty years ago, bus trips were slower than they are today. The vehicles' performance isn't much different to twenty years ago, but trip times have improved. How? A few technological innovations that mean buses spend less time at stops. These days, buses are low floor and most passengers pay by smart card. The next step to improving trip times is allowing all door boarding on all buses.

Twenty years ago, motorists would get frustrated while the bus was at a stop. Today, buses spend less time at stops, so there isn't a need for bus bays.
I guess a bus stop with a bike lane but no indent could turn out to be safer for cyclists? I have no idea if this is the intended logic, but it's possible.

With an indent, the bus blocks the bike lane, but motor vehicles are not impeded by the stopped bus and continue to go past at the speed limit, forcing the cyclist to wait or pull out into much faster traffic.

Without the indent, the bike lane is still blocked, but so is half the motor traffic lane. Cars and trucks need to wait or change into the other lane, leaving the half-lane available as a "temporary bike lane" around the bus.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#3215 Post by mawsonguy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:29 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Buses used to have conductors. People would get on the bus as quick as they could via both doors and then pay their fare. Now they have to queue to pay their fare or swipe their card. All it takes is one person without the correct change or an expired/faulty card and the queue comes to a stop. If buses are spending less time at stops it is probably because fewer people are getting on.

The lack of indents on major roads is a safety issue. All the cars changing lanes to get around the bus create a traffic hazard. Even if there are indents, often they are not long enough and bendy buses leave their tails hanging out in the traffic.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#3216 Post by mawsonguy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 am

I just checked the project design and 3D animation on the T2T website. No sign of any bus stops (or indents) in the plan so perhaps we dropped the ball in not spotting that problem earlier.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#3217 Post by baytram366 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:11 am

I drove along the new section under Port Road again for the 2nd time on the weekend and noticed that 60km/h seems to be the normal speed limit now for the whole section. I really hope it doesn't remain at 60 but its not looking promising... can anyone shed some light on why it stay at 60?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#3218 Post by ginzahikari » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:11 am
I drove along the new section under Port Road again for the 2nd time on the weekend and noticed that 60km/h seems to be the normal speed limit now for the whole section. I really hope it doesn't remain at 60 but its not looking promising... can anyone shed some light on why it stay at 60?
I reckon this will change to 80 at some point because there are signs next to the LED speed limit indicators saying "if sign is blank (80)"

ChillyPhilly

#3219 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Probably still waiting for the surface to 'cure'. Summer should take care of that.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#3220 Post by RetroGamer87 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:07 pm

So why isn't it a continuous depth the whole way through? Was this done to reduce the volume of earth that would have be moved?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3221 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Probably yes and also they needed to go deeper where say the train line was to allow the max height needed for trucks to pass on the road at grade and also under the bridges/crossings across the motorway trench.

ChillyPhilly

#3222 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Apparently, the varying levels in the T2T trench are also intentional to keep drivers alert.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3223 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm
baytram366 wrote:
I reckon this will change to 80 at some point because there are signs next to the LED speed limit indicators saying "if sign is blank (80)"
The ones at the southern end were covered up last week. Maybe there is going to be a permanent change to 60 :(

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3224 Post by Mr Messy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 pm

DPTI reply to a comment on their Facebook page:
"speed limits on the lowered motorway will remain at the current posted 60km/hr until final asphalt compliance test results are received that satisfy increasing the speed limit. A new asphalt mix has been used on T2T to lessen maintenance, and there is a period of wearing in before we can raise the speed limit which we hope to do in the next few weeks."

Llessur2002

#3225 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Don’t forget that Adelaide drivers are apparently unable to understand more than one speed limit on a single road (see: Hutt Street 40km/h fiasco).

Perhaps it will stay 60 until the Pym-Regency stretch is completed.