[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3481 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:38 pm

What would you have between Bunnings and South Road? If it was made as the car park, then it still couldn't be acquired for road building as it would leave the business with less parking than the Council would require.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#3482 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Does anyone know if they ever plan to duplicate the southern expressway on/off ramps at Panalatinga Rd x Main south Rd for southbound traffic? The lack of any south bound on ramps between Darlington and Sherriff's Rd make it almost pointless for me to ever use the expressway when I want to head down south, and it's the only expressway entrance that goes north only, the others are all north and south.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3483 Post by Mr Messy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:34 pm

I've seen talk of an interchange at Majors Rd [citation needed]

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3484 Post by croweater888 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:18 pm

I wanted to discuss this image with you all.

The green line represents what the road currently looks like. The dashed line is the continuous tunnel proposal. The orange line is the hybrid tunnel proposal.
The lower solid line is what it would look like if they removed all of the houses and businesses and includes a raised section through Edwardstown (this sounds really terrible).

The entry to the Torrens Anzac Highway tunnel goes under the River Torrens from an entry at Port Road, but rises to allow an exit at Anzac Highway.
There is a relatively short distance between Richmond Road and the existing Anzac highway underpass, so the descent angle makes some sense. Though I can't quite guesstimate how deep the tunnel is supposed to be.

If this is correct, DPTI would still need to to take all of the houses from Alexander Avenue to Herbert Road to gain 50m of width for the tunnels entry and exit. There are only 20+ housing blocks and 6 smaller businesses on the eastern side, but many large businesses on the western side.

The second tunnel then begins around Edward Street and exits at Tonsley Boulevard. They have the extra width of the park they can take, but it may mean Adrien Brien goes.

Thoughts?

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3485 Post by aceman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:32 pm
Does anyone know if they ever plan to duplicate the southern expressway on/off ramps at Panalatinga Rd x Main south Rd for southbound traffic? The lack of any south bound on ramps between Darlington and Sherriff's Rd make it almost pointless for me to ever use the expressway when I want to head down south, and it's the only expressway entrance that goes north only, the others are all north and south.
I've always wondered the same thing. travelling south on south road u can't get onto the expressway and if you're on the expressway and travelling north u can't exit off it at that junction.

it's not designed very well if u think about it, if you're travelling north once u go past the sherriffs road junction u can't exit until u get to hungry Jack's at the marion road exit. when I used to work at lonsdale and would leave the depot in the mornings if there was an accident or break down on the expressway between sherriffs road and the bottom of the hill and didn't know about it u would be stuck on it for nearly two hours because there is literally know where to go. once u get on it you're screwed. meanwhile those aware just went to south road instead and arrived at Darlington in less than 5 minutes. it's poorly designed and really needs an on off at majors rd. the local liberal MP down south is apparently fighting for this to happen.

Darsfreer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] North-South Motorway

#3486 Post by Darsfreer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Have noticed in my travels home from work along South Rd that 3-4 houses are starting to be demolished, I’m guessing there getting ready for Pym St to Regency Rd project.

Last edited by Darsfreer on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3487 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:13 am

claybro wrote:My understanding is that the eastern side will be cleared to create enough space for surface roads and trench, or construction of an elevated road. This was before discussion of a tunnel gained momentum. It would be possible to have a two way service road along the western side with a trench to the east, but it would require removing all properties on the eastern side. Have to agree it is bewildering to see them continually allowing development along here, but this all comes down to a lack of forward planning, and specific timeframes for construction.
Correct about the eastern side. Bunnings included mention of this in their application.

I don't think the tunnel idea will stack up as time goes on, although as an idea it does have more ongoing practicality than the piecemeal approach we have to upgrades of the corridor at present.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3488 Post by how good is he » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:36 am

I think they are doing the feasibility on tunnels now. I am pretty sure that Marshall said they will make a decision by the end of the year what will be the plan for the final 10.5km.

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3489 Post by croweater888 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:36 am
I think they are doing the feasibility on tunnels now. I am pretty sure that Marshall said they will make a decision by the end of the year what will be the plan for the final 10.5km.
I read in the Advertiser last October that Price Waterhouse was appointed to write the feasibility study in conjunction with overseas tunnel experts. Completion date, December 2018.

According to the DPTI timeline published in February 2019:
Concept design, project definition and design requirements run from January 2019 to December 2020.

EIS, planning approval and major contract procurement begin in mid 2019 to mid 2022-23

Service rescue relocation design and implementation begin at the end of 2019

Aidan

#3490 Post by Aidan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:41 pm

croweater888,
Adrien Brien's not in the way, but Jarvis may have to go!
The South Road part of the PPP proposal I'm developing resembles the solid blue line more than any of the others, but would not be so destructive.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Llessur2002

#3491 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:48 am

Federal Labor pledges $1.2 billion towards North-South Corridor

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten will today announce a $1.2 billion commitment for the final piece of the North-South Corridor.

Mr Shorten will visit Adelaide where he will pledge to include the funding for the section of South Rd between the Glenelg tram overpass and Tonsley in his first Budget if he is elected prime minister.

The funding will depend on a dollar-for-dollar commitment from the State Government.

It will help to fund what is regarded as the most complicated and expensive part of the corridor.

“Investing in infrastructure isn’t just about traffic and transport — it’s about giving Adelaide room to grow and attract new jobs and economic opportunities,” Mr Shorten told The Advertiser.

“This is an investment in the local economy and local jobs. It will change the face of Adelaide’s roads network, improving travel time for commuters and more efficiently moving more freight and cutting the travel time for the state’s exports.”

The North-South Corridor will provide a 78km journeyfree of traffic lights between Gawler and Old Noarlunga, once it is completed.

Funding for the project has been included in the Coalition’s 10-year outlook for infrastructure projects, but not in the forward estimates.

The allocation of funding has drawn criticism from State and Federal Labor, which have argued it is a sign South Australia has been dudded.

But the State Government has consistently played down concerns, arguing construction for the final piece of the project would not start until 2021-22 regardless.

Mr Shorten said South Rd was one of Adelaide’s most important transport corridors.

“However, the road is increasingly congested, plagued by high accident rates and is unable to cater for the heavy vehicles needing to use it,” he said.

“It is not fit for the state’s future needs.”

He said without investment, the annual economic cost of congestion in Adelaide would “more than double to $3.8 billion by 2031”.

Last month State Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll told the Sunday Mail two separate traffic tunnels beneath South Rd were being seriously considered by the State Government as the multibillion-dollar fix for the city’s major motorway.

The project could cost $5 billion.

A few weeks later Civil Contractors Federation chief executive Phil Sutherland said road funding — highlighted in The Advertiser’s Fair Go for the Regions as a key concern — would be a key election issue.

The latest report from Infrastructure Australia, the independent authority that is the key source of advice for the Federal Government on nationally significant infrastructure needs, does not have a single SA road listed as a high-priority project.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... b76b863986

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3492 Post by muzzamo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:49 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:13 am
I don't think the tunnel idea will stack up as time goes on, although as an idea it does have more ongoing practicality than the piecemeal approach we have to upgrades of the corridor at present.
Piecemeal has its benefits though. We can build the road as funding comes through but more importantly the project is broken up into manageable chunks. In general the smaller the chunks the lower the risk.

Waewick

#3493 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:32 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Federal Labor pledges $1.2 billion towards North-South Corridor

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten will today announce a $1.2 billion commitment for the final piece of the North-South Corridor.

Mr Shorten will visit Adelaide where he will pledge to include the funding for the section of South Rd between the Glenelg tram overpass and Tonsley in his first Budget if he is elected prime minister.

The funding will depend on a dollar-for-dollar commitment from the State Government.

It will help to fund what is regarded as the most complicated and expensive part of the corridor.

“Investing in infrastructure isn’t just about traffic and transport — it’s about giving Adelaide room to grow and attract new jobs and economic opportunities,” Mr Shorten told The Advertiser.

“This is an investment in the local economy and local jobs. It will change the face of Adelaide’s roads network, improving travel time for commuters and more efficiently moving more freight and cutting the travel time for the state’s exports.”

The North-South Corridor will provide a 78km journeyfree of traffic lights between Gawler and Old Noarlunga, once it is completed.

Funding for the project has been included in the Coalition’s 10-year outlook for infrastructure projects, but not in the forward estimates.

The allocation of funding has drawn criticism from State and Federal Labor, which have argued it is a sign South Australia has been dudded.

But the State Government has consistently played down concerns, arguing construction for the final piece of the project would not start until 2021-22 regardless.

Mr Shorten said South Rd was one of Adelaide’s most important transport corridors.

“However, the road is increasingly congested, plagued by high accident rates and is unable to cater for the heavy vehicles needing to use it,” he said.

“It is not fit for the state’s future needs.”

He said without investment, the annual economic cost of congestion in Adelaide would “more than double to $3.8 billion by 2031”.

Last month State Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll told the Sunday Mail two separate traffic tunnels beneath South Rd were being seriously considered by the State Government as the multibillion-dollar fix for the city’s major motorway.

The project could cost $5 billion.

A few weeks later Civil Contractors Federation chief executive Phil Sutherland said road funding — highlighted in The Advertiser’s Fair Go for the Regions as a key concern — would be a key election issue.

The latest report from Infrastructure Australia, the independent authority that is the key source of advice for the Federal Government on nationally significant infrastructure needs, does not have a single SA road listed as a high-priority project.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... b76b863986
I'll be interested in Labor SA view on this. They claimed recently 50/50 was a bad deal for SA.

I'd also be interested in Marshalls response, we all know Labor is going to win the Fed election, but can he be seen to be supporting the promise?

[Shuz]

#3494 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 am

I can see that $2.4b would allow for either an elevated or surface level freeway through the Tram to Tonsley (T2T2) stretch, but not a trench or tunnels.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#3495 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 am

So Shorten is pledging federal Labor to (part-)fund the final part between the tram overpass and Tonsley.

Does that mean that Labor now considers the part between T2T and the tram is in the too-hard basket because it involves temporary disruptions to Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Henley Beach Road? Is the southern bit really "the most complicated" part if the middle bit past the CBD is included?

Late morning, Google Maps traffic shows delays for a short bit northbound just south of Castle Plaza, and longer delays both ways at Richmond Road and Henley Beach Road, as well as long delays on Sir Donald Bradman Drive at South Road.

Not funding the middle bit means there will be less pressure to "do something" about Cross Road as more southeastern traffic will continue to use Portrush Road.