[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3571 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:17 pm

crawf wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:48 pm
Whatever they do, it's crucial it's at least 3x3 lanes.

We already made the mistake decades ago with not implementing the MATS plan, let's not repeat history by not future proofing this motorway.
Videos seem to have 2x3 lanes in a trench, but only 2x2lanes in tunnels.

I might accept that more water could flow through a pipe than a drain, but I don’t think the same logic applies to cars, ev n if you can model traffic as a fluid.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3572 Post by Pistol » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:46 pm

crawf wrote:

We already made the mistake decades ago with not implementing the MATS plan, let's not repeat history by not future proofing this motorway.
Not implementing the MATS plan was definitely not a mistake, I"m pretty sure the residents of Hindmarsh can vouch for that...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3573 Post by Goodsy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Pistol wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:46 pm
crawf wrote:

Not implementing the MATS plan was definitely not a mistake, I"m pretty sure the residents of Hindmarsh can vouch for that...
abandoning it was not a mistake, but selling off all the land was

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#3574 Post by A-Town » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:46 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:17 pm
crawf wrote:

I might accept that more water could flow through a pipe than a drain, but I don’t think the same logic applies to cars, ev n if you can model traffic as a fluid.
Surely if we are to future proof the motorway, the tunnels will be 3x3 lanes. Hoping they were just slack with the video concept (which wouldn't be unusual).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3575 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 am

aceman wrote:so does this funding include the pym st - superway section or is that funded separately?
That is funded separately.

Waewick

#3576 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:40 am

Im getting confused by everyone's number multiplication.

We want 3 lanes both directions right? ( in my head that is 2 x 3 or 3 + 3).

I would have thought that would be minimum in that part of the roadway.

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3577 Post by greenknight » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:59 am

Regency to Pym is a separate package of works which is currently in tender phase.
aceman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:13 pm
so does this funding include the pym st - superway section or is that funded separately?

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3578 Post by Jim » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:44 pm

Yes very concerned that the PR clips showing only 2 lanes each way. There’s a bit of a track record repeating here (remember the “one way freeway”) but this time not the sort of stuff up that can easily be fixed later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#3579 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Would is save money and ensure the more lanes if they tunnelled 3 lanes in one direction and 3 lanes on the surface in the other? So, have northbound traffic underground and southbound on ground level?

claybro

#3580 Post by claybro » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:42 pm
Would is save money and ensure the more lanes if they tunnelled 3 lanes in one direction and 3 lanes on the surface in the other? So, have northbound traffic underground and southbound on ground level?
No. Because to have even a one way expressway on the surface would still require separation from local traffic and properly managed entry/exit points and overpasses of other roads anyway. Property acquisition would still be required, although maybe slightly less...but you cant buy half a block fronting a main road, so I doubt even to acquisition would be that much less. If anything it would be more expensive doing it this way.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#3581 Post by Furyan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:03 pm
So that's both major parties committing the same amount of money. Now it's up to the engineers to come up with the solutions on which option should be taken. Exciting times!
The Federal Libs have now promised a total of 2.7b and Federal Labor only 1.2b. The State Libs will match the 2.7b with a loan from the taxpayers of SA giving a total of 5.4b.

This should be enough to complete this corridor hopefully.

It will be interesting to see if Federal Labor will also make the same commitment before the coming election.

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3582 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Furyan wrote:
Norman wrote:
So that's both major parties committing the same amount of money. Now it's up to the engineers to come up with the solutions on which option should be taken. Exciting times!
The Federal Libs have now promised a total of 2.7b and Federal Labor only 1.2b. The State Libs will match the 2.7b with a loan from the taxpayers of SA giving a total of 5.4b.

It will be interesting to see if Federal Labor will also make the same commitment before the coming election.
They will, just closer to state elections as there are plenty of close seats down south.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3583 Post by Jim » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 pm

A-Town wrote:
SBD wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:17 pm
crawf wrote:

Surely if we are to future proof the motorway, the tunnels will be 3x3 lanes. Hoping they were just slack with the video concept (which wouldn't be unusual).
Lets hope so, I am a regular user of the south eastern freeway, tonight was a prime example for the need for an extra lane a simple breakdown, once attended by police completely brought to the road to a crawl. Other nights minor accidents attended by police, fire brigade, and Ambulance and there is grid lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3584 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Pistol wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:46 pm
crawf wrote:

I mean the N-S Freeway. The rest of the MATS plan was overkill.

This entire stretch of road is going to cost nearly ten billion dollars. If this was built decades ago or the land wasn't sold off, we could be instead allocating that large sum of billions towards a much needed overhaul of our PT network including an underground loop.

Neverthless it's long in the past. I just hope with whatever option they proceed with they plan for long term growth.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3585 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Furyan wrote:
Norman wrote:

Bill Shorten has already promised the extra $1.5b on top of the already announced $1.2b.

Both parties are offering the same money. $1.2b for Anzac to Torrens and $1.5b for Anzac to Darlington.