[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3616 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 pm

aceman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 pm
the issue for me is that there are no costings or final designs put forward for the remaining 'too hard basket' sections.

Darlington should be finished by the end of this year but I wouldn't be surprised if its early next year if we have a really wet winter. northern connector is on track for completion this year (correct me if I'm wrong)

other than a possible start on the pym st to superway section which is relatively small compared to other sections completed so far, this project will basically stop while we discuss how to finish it. the blame game will start and traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction while they repair burst water mains. 183 years after this town was founded south rd in certain parts isn't that much better than the two way track used by horse and carts nearly 200 years ago.
I feel like moderately detailed plans for the remaining sections of the corridor do exist somewhere within the walls of DPTI - but they are imperfect, hence why we are yet to see them.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3617 Post by how good is he » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:06 am

I am pretty sure Marshall has committed to making a decision by the end of this year (after all the studies/ reports) on how the last section of South Rd will be finished (ie tunnels vs underpasses/overpasses etc).

SBD

#3618 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:33 am

aceman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 pm
the issue for me is that there are no costings or final designs put forward for the remaining 'too hard basket' sections.

Darlington should be finished by the end of this year but I wouldn't be surprised if its early next year if we have a really wet winter. northern connector is on track for completion this year (correct me if I'm wrong)

other than a possible start on the pym st to superway section which is relatively small compared to other sections completed so far, this project will basically stop while we discuss how to finish it. the blame game will start and traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction while they repair burst water mains. 183 years after this town was founded south rd in certain parts isn't that much better than the two way track used by horse and carts nearly 200 years ago.
Liberal and Labor seem to each be blaming the other for not having prepared the plans. In fact, neither party would be making the plans, that would be the public servants, contractors and consultants in DPTI who would keep working regardless of who their minister is on any given day. That says to me that the planning is either more complex or more expensive than can just be done as "business as usual". The business case might be political, but the actual plan should be getting done regardless.

The government would give some guidance, and in particular holds the purse strings for both the actual project and for the planning, which limits how many people can be involved and what they are able to do in any given timeframe.

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#3619 Post by kenget » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm

The April newsletter is now out..

Link to the DPTI Darlington project website...
https://dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/n ... de_project

Link to Newsletter:
https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... v5_web.pdf

Still saying this will be complete this year.

Patrick_27

#3620 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:03 pm

kenget wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm
The April newsletter is now out..

Link to the DPTI Darlington project website...
https://dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/n ... de_project

Link to Newsletter:
https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... v5_web.pdf

Still saying this will be complete this year.
Of course it will be, why wouldn't it be? all the bridges are pretty much complete. The only things that's left is to finish digging and surface the roads.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3621 Post by rev » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Our state Liberal government will in the lead up to the federal election, come out with their federal Liberal colleagues wanting your vote, and announce what they will do with the rest of South Road, and the funding break down, and they will show us concept images and artists renditions of what it will look like. If they get re-elected, then final designs will happen.

The state and federal Labor opposition will do the same thing.

They've both already announced a billion or so they will give for the remainder.
Our problem will be if Shorten who is even more incompetent then the Liberals, gets elected. Federal Labor wont be able to work with the incompetent state Liberals, the way that state Labor managed to keep the ball rolling with the federal Liberals on the NS corridor after fed/state Labor built the superway.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#3622 Post by Vasco » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:09 pm

rev wrote:Our state Liberal government will in the lead up to the federal election, come out with their federal Liberal colleagues wanting your vote, and announce what they will do with the rest of South Road, and the funding break down, and they will show us concept images and artists renditions of what it will look like. If they get re-elected, then final designs will happen.

They've both already announced a billion or so they will give for the remainder.
Our problem will be if Shorten who is even more incompetent then the Liberals, gets elected. Federal Labor wont be able to work with the incompetent state Liberals, the way that state Labor managed to keep the ball rolling with the federal Liberals on the NS corridor after fed/state Labor built the superway.

One would think Anthony Albanese (as likely Infrastructure Minister) would be more than competent to be effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#3623 Post by kenget » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:03 pm
Of course it will be, why wouldn't it be? all the bridges are pretty much complete. The only things that's left is to finish digging and surface the roads.
What has me concerned is how northbound traffic around the Ayliffes Rd intersection has not taken the new alignment and they still have to dig all that out.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3624 Post by aceman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:24 pm

the new alignment can't be too far away from what I saw today, I think they've started putting bitumen down between monroes and Mitsubishi head office.

SBD

#3625 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Our state Liberal government will in the lead up to the federal election, come out with their federal Liberal colleagues wanting your vote, and announce what they will do with the rest of South Road, and the funding break down, and they will show us concept images and artists renditions of what it will look like. If they get re-elected, then final designs will happen.

It seems like at the government level, everybody agrees it should happen and they will help fund it if they are in government at the key time. So it really shouldn't matter what party name is on the door, when the ministers throw money at DPTI and say "get it done".

You say State Liberal is incompetent - is that because they are also trying to do key infrastructure past Gawler/Toll Gate? Things like grade separation near Port Wakefield, duplicating the Joy Baluch Bridge, sealing the Strzelecki Track, etc?

...and everyone has allowed GWR to run down country rail, so the Sturt Highway and roads on Eyre Peninsula are going to need more work for the increased grain freight. I wonder if there is any way to make GWR and Viterra pay for the road upgrades...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3626 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:06 pm

kenget wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:03 pm
What has me concerned is how northbound traffic around the Ayliffes Rd intersection has not taken the new alignment and they still have to dig all that out.
I believe that section of the motorway near Monroe's won't be that deep, it will be closer to ground level. There won't be a lot of digging required.

rev

#3627 Post by rev » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:03 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm
rev wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:05 pm

It seems like at the government level, everybody agrees it should happen and they will help fund it if they are in government at the key time. So it really shouldn't matter what party name is on the door, when the ministers throw money at DPTI and say "get it done".

You say State Liberal is incompetent - is that because they are also trying to do key infrastructure past Gawler/Toll Gate? Things like grade separation near Port Wakefield, duplicating the Joy Baluch Bridge, sealing the Strzelecki Track, etc?

...and everyone has allowed GWR to run down country rail, so the Sturt Highway and roads on Eyre Peninsula are going to need more work for the increased grain freight. I wonder if there is any way to make GWR and Viterra pay for the road upgrades...
Its election time, they will say many things and promise much more, but just because they promised something or said something would happen if you elect them doesnt mean it's true.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3628 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:22 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

The previous Government (and probably the one prior to that) spoke of sealing the Strzelecki Track too. It would cost in the region of $450 million. I can't see it happening in the near future.

rev

#3629 Post by rev » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Trees were being planted today around Torrens Road.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#3630 Post by aceman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:20 pm

lots of bitumen has gone down in the trench near flinders medical centre and uni. also can't be too far away from a northbound traffic switch under the ayliffes rd overpass.