[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3676 Post by Norman » Sat May 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Furyan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:29 pm
Norman wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:58 pm
Furyan wrote:
The Federal Libs have now promised a total of 2.7b and Federal Labor only 1.2b. The State Libs will match the 2.7b with a loan from the taxpayers of SA giving a total of 5.4b.

This should be enough to complete this corridor hopefully.

It will be interesting to see if Federal Labor will also make the same commitment before the coming election.
Bill Shorten has already promised the extra $1.5b on top of the already announced $1.2b.

Both parties are offering the same money. $1.2b for Anzac to Torrens and $1.5b for Anzac to Darlington.
On the 8th March Opposition Leader Bill Shorten visited Adelaide and announced a 1.2 billion investment to be used for the section from the Tram Overpass to Tonsley. This matched the Liberals funding in last years budget. Simon Birmingham, Federal Investment Minister, criticised this as coming late to the table for N-S corridor funding.

Source: ABC News Adelaide and 9 News Adelaide

Since then last nights Federal budget a further 1.5b was committed. This announcement had been leaked in the last couple of days and has not yet been matched to my knowledge.
Perhaps the Budget Reply Speech hopefully
Just wanted to confirm that the ALP has committed $2.7b for the North-South Corridor. It is now on their website:
South Road upgrade: Labor will invest $2.7 billion to deliver the next stage in the ongoing upgrade of South Road into a non-stop motorway, with priority to be given to the section between the Glenelg Tram Overpass and Tonsley.
Source: https://alp.org.au/policies/nation-buil ... structure/

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3677 Post by claybro » Sat May 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Good news! Seems the momentum of this corridor is now unstoppable, with both sides committed to continuing. It's been a long time coming.

SBD

#3678 Post by SBD » Sun May 12, 2019 12:28 am

So the party differentiation is that ALP wants to focus on Darlington to Anzac Highway first, but Liberal is focused on Henley Beach, Sir Donald Bradman and Richmond Roads first?

Federal ALP wants people to commute from the southern suburbs (including marginal Boothby), federal Liberal is more interested in effective freight movement, as was the original purpose of the corridor upgrade.

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3679 Post by bits » Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 am

SBD wrote:So the party differentiation
I don't think there is any difference. The last claimed Liberal vs Labor difference was Darlington vs T2T and had both started within 12 months anyway. They were just sections needing to be done, nothing to do with Labor or Liberal.

If either side claim any project for this it is just something they have seen at the top of the pile of ready to go sections. Then they use clever words to make it seem it was their idea and does what they need for votes.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3680 Post by Brucetiki » Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 pm

bits wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 am
I don't think there is any difference. The last claimed Liberal vs Labor difference was Darlington vs T2T and had both started within 12 months anyway. They were just sections needing to be done, nothing to do with Labor or Liberal.

If either side claim any project for this it is just something they have seen at the top of the pile of ready to go sections. Then they use clever words to make it seem it was their idea and does what they need for votes.
If we end up with both projects happening simultaneously, we could end up with the North-South Motorway being all but complete within 5 years give or take.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#3681 Post by A-Town » Sun May 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Glad to see commitment from both parties, but we need to make sure it's done right the first time so it's future proofed. It needs to be 3 lanes each way.

SBD

#3682 Post by SBD » Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm

A-Town wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:38 pm
Glad to see commitment from both parties, but we need to make sure it's done right the first time so it's future proofed. It needs to be 3 lanes each way.
The apparent proposal to only have two lanes under Anzac Highway seems to be based on traffic flows, that the merges can happen more smoothly with "add a lane" (2+1=3) rather than requiring merging into the left of three lanes in a relatively short space.

I don't travel that way very often, and even less in peak hour. Does traffic merge smoothly without slowing down between Anzac Highway and the Tram Line in the afternoon peak? There seems to presently be two lanes under the Gallipoli Underpass, plus one from Anzac Highway, and still only two under the tram line.

Would traffic work better with two lanes through, and add the third lane from above, or with a third lane all the way, and still require the merge at the entrance? I use the north end more often, and before the present interchange roadworks, I found I generally didn't notice the merge from Grand Junction Road and fork for Port River Expressway.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3683 Post by ml69 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 pm
bits wrote:

If we end up with both projects happening simultaneously, we could end up with the North-South Motorway being all but complete within 5 years give or take.
5 years would be miraculous. There are minimal budgeted dollars for the N-S Motorway over the next few years in the forward estimates. To be honest if this whole thing gets done by the time of the 2026 state election (7 years from now) it would be an outstanding achievement. It would certainly be a vote winner for the incumbent government at the time for them brag about getting it done.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#3684 Post by alexczarn » Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am

SBD wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm
A-Town wrote:
The apparent proposal to only have two lanes under Anzac Highway seems to be based on traffic flows, that the merges can happen more smoothly with "add a lane" (2+1=3) rather than requiring merging into the left of three lanes in a relatively short space.

I don't travel that way very often, and even less in peak hour. Does traffic merge smoothly without slowing down between Anzac Highway and the Tram Line in the afternoon peak? There seems to presently be two lanes under the Gallipoli Underpass, plus one from Anzac Highway, and still only two under the tram line.

Would traffic work better with two lanes through, and add the third lane from above, or with a third lane all the way, and still require the merge at the entrance? I use the north end more often, and before the present interchange roadworks, I found I generally didn't notice the merge from Grand Junction Road and fork for Port River Expressway.
No the Anzac Highway merge does not flow well in peak.

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3685 Post by greenknight » Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm

I think people need to realise how fast some of these projects move.

Regency to Pym is the next section... This tender is going on at the moment, and was announced May 1st 2018. This means June / July / August we will find out who is actually constructing the next section.

Darlington tender, was around August - Sept 2015 iirc, with it being awarded by December 2015.

I would imagine, with the complexities of the next sections, that it would easily be a 5 year turnaround time for each section, from announcement to completion. My guess is that it will be completed by 2030.

ml69 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 pm
bits wrote:

5 years would be miraculous. There are minimal budgeted dollars for the N-S Motorway over the next few years in the forward estimates. To be honest if this whole thing gets done by the time of the 2026 state election (7 years from now) it would be an outstanding achievement. It would certainly be a vote winner for the incumbent government at the time for them brag about getting it done.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3686 Post by how good is he » Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 pm

The next key decision is how it will be built ie tunnel vs overpass/underpass [after the studies/costings] is promised to be by the end of this year by Marshall.

SBD

#3687 Post by SBD » Mon May 13, 2019 4:10 pm

alexczarn wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am
SBD wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm
A-Town wrote:

No the Anzac Highway merge does not flow well in peak.
Given that about a third of the traffic on South Road in that area turns on or off at Anzac Highway, I suspect that is why the simulation appears to show only two lanes under Anzac Highway. Subtracting/adding a lane might lead to much smoother flow all round than the current system of removing a lane shortly after the interchange.

ChillyPhilly

#3688 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 pm

I think it should be three lanes all the way. Get it done properly.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3689 Post by Eurostar » Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 pm

So from Gawler to Aldinga and beyond we will have Northern Expressway, Northern Connector, North South Motorway, South Road, Main South Road. Would it be wise to have one name for the whole stretch or less names? Northern Expressway (Gawler to Regency Park), South Road (Regency Park to Tonsley), Main South Road (Tonsley onwards)

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3690 Post by bits » Tue May 14, 2019 7:00 am

It is called the M2 / North-South motorway the entire way. That is why this thread has that name also.