[U/C] North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
NTRabbit
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 19 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3691 Post by NTRabbit » Tue May 14, 2019 7:17 am

South Rd will still exist as the b road above/beside the motorway

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 351 times
Been thanked: 35 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3692 Post by Brucetiki » Tue May 14, 2019 4:19 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:17 am
South Rd will still exist as the b road above/beside the motorway
I wonder if down the track whether some of the more fragmented parts of South Rd will get a new game (for example, the isolated bit in Wingfield between Salisbury Highway and Grand Junction Rd).

aaronjameslange
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3693 Post by aaronjameslange » Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 pm
So from Gawler to Aldinga and beyond we will have Northern Expressway, Northern Connector, North South Motorway, South Road, Main South Road. Would it be wise to have one name for the whole stretch or less names? Northern Expressway (Gawler to Regency Park), South Road (Regency Park to Tonsley), Main South Road (Tonsley onwards)
M2 Northern Expressway (Gawler to PRexy)
M2 North South Motorway (PRexy to Darlington)
M2 Souteren Expressway (Darlington to Noarlunga)

Simple

Northen connector will be M2. One of the signs at the waterloo corner intersection says so

aaronjameslange
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3694 Post by aaronjameslange » Fri May 17, 2019 5:57 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 pm
So from Gawler to Aldinga and beyond we will have Northern Expressway, Northern Connector, North South Motorway, South Road, Main South Road. Would it be wise to have one name for the whole stretch or less names? Northern Expressway (Gawler to Regency Park), South Road (Regency Park to Tonsley), Main South Road (Tonsley onwards)
M2 Northern Expressway (Gawler to PRexy)
M2 North South Motorway (PRexy to Darlington)
M2 Souteren Expressway (Darlington to Noarlunga)

Simple

Northen connector will be M2. One of the signs at the waterloo corner intersection says so
Update:
drove through the waterloo corner intersection today and the stickers covering the signs are coming off just enough to read that the northern connector is sign posted as north south motorway.

Spotto
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3695 Post by Spotto » Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 am

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Here we go!
aaronjameslange wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:57 pm
Update:
drove through the waterloo corner intersection today and the stickers covering the signs are coming off just enough to read that the northern connector is sign posted as north south motorway.
Makes sense since the North-South Motorway is the new "built one-after-the-other" part of the corridor.

I'd have signed it as NEXY and keep N-S M/way for the parts between the Superway and Darlington that augment South Road.

NTRabbit
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 19 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3696 Post by NTRabbit » Sat May 18, 2019 3:10 am

I wouldn't be surprised if both NEXY and SEXY were dropped, and the whole thing was rebadged as the North-South Motorway from start to finish

aaronjameslange
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3697 Post by aaronjameslange » Sat May 18, 2019 6:53 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:10 am
I wouldn't be surprised if both NEXY and SEXY were dropped, and the whole thing was rebadged as the North-South Motorway from start to finish
Nexy was built as M20 as it joined A20. It was rebranded as the M2 a couple years back. I think when the superway was opened as M2

User avatar
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Southern Suburbs
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 51 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3698 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 am

This isn't a recent addition by any means, but they have numbered the bridges which go over the SEXY, starting with Number 1 at Seacombe Rd.

In 60 years time when the South Rd corridor is finished, you will have driven 50km along it from Gawler, passing under numerous bridges, only to reach Seacombe Rd and a sign declaring this as bridge Number 1. Does this seem weird to anyone else? Why would they number them North-South, rather than South-North?

Does this maybe give some indication to how the corridor will be named? Will the SEXY retain its name, with everything from Darlington onwards being the North-South Motorway?
Last edited by SouthAussie94 on Sun May 19, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:13 am
Has thanked: 84 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3699 Post by alexczarn » Sun May 19, 2019 9:04 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 am
This isn't a recent addition by any means, but they have numbered the bridges which go over the on the SEXY, starting with Number 1 at Seacombe Rd.

In 60 years time when the South Rd corridor is finished, you will have driven 50km along it from Gawler, passing under numerous bridges, only to reach Seacombe Rd and a sign declaring this as bridge Number 1. Does this seem weird to anyone else? Why would they number them North-South, rather than South-North?

Does this maybe give some indication to how the corridor will be named? Will the SEXY retain its name, with everything from Darlington onwards being the North-South Motorway?
Those bridges were numbered as reference points to report object-throwing incidents.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:03 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 13 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3700 Post by Hooligan » Sun May 19, 2019 11:47 am

The northern expressway is technically called the Max Fatchen Northern Expressway. I wish we named more roads after prominant South Australians than just naming them after the directions they travel.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 72 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3701 Post by SBD » Sun May 19, 2019 1:45 pm

alexczarn wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:04 am
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 am
This isn't a recent addition by any means, but they have numbered the bridges which go over the on the SEXY, starting with Number 1 at Seacombe Rd.

In 60 years time when the South Rd corridor is finished, you will have driven 50km along it from Gawler, passing under numerous bridges, only to reach Seacombe Rd and a sign declaring this as bridge Number 1. Does this seem weird to anyone else? Why would they number them North-South, rather than South-North?

Does this maybe give some indication to how the corridor will be named? Will the SEXY retain its name, with everything from Darlington onwards being the North-South Motorway?
Those bridges were numbered as reference points to report object-throwing incidents.
Bridges on the Northern Expressway have the names of significant military battles that Australian forces have been involved in. Perhaps that theme will be extended to the Port River Expressway. There are no footbridges separate from the road interchanges so it's a bit easier to decide what to name.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 72 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3702 Post by SBD » Sun May 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:47 am
The northern expressway is technically called the Max Fatchen Northern Expressway. I wish we named more roads after prominent South Australians than just naming them after the directions they travel.
We do have
  • Horrocks Highway
  • Eyre Highway
  • Sturt Highway
  • Stuart Highway
named after the leaders of the first party to follow roughly those routes.
  • Thiele Highway
  • Stott Highway
  • Playford Highway
  • Goyder Highway
  • RM WIlliams Way
  • Riddoch Highway
  • Tod Hiighway
  • Birdseye Highway
named after prominent people who lived or worked in the areas passed by the highways (like Max Fatchen).

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Been thanked: 42 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3703 Post by how good is he » Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Waiting for the Jimmy Barnes Highway...

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 72 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3704 Post by SBD » Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am

how good is he wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 pm
Waiting for the Jimmy Barnes Highway...
Perhaps that should be a new name for Philip Highway/Salisbury Highway/Port River Expressway - the road that links his birthplace to the Largs Pier Hotel where he performed.

Only one of the list above is named for a woman. We have many more notable women to consider.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:03 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 13 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3705 Post by Hooligan » Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am
how good is he wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 pm
Waiting for the Jimmy Barnes Highway...
Perhaps that should be a new name for Philip Highway/Salisbury Highway/Port River Expressway - the road that links his birthplace to the Largs Pier Hotel where he performed.

Only one of the list above is named for a woman. We have many more notable women to consider.
We're building a road from Largs Bay to Glasgow?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests