[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3886 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm
Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 pm
I'm really not understanding the hatred of the Thebby on here, it is a significant venue and a massive cultural contributor to this city. Of course there was going to be a response to any threat to it. If it's "a demolition that will never happen", then why can't the government just come straight out and rule it out? Adelaide has lost enough venues over time, and people sure as hell don't want to see this one added to the list.
Except for Mr Smith calling it an average building I don't think there has been negativity expressed about retaining Thebby. It's just that it is a non story- whipped up by a local rag. Thebarton theatre is not in the way of any of the proposed Motorway methods, and will not be bulldozed.
I agree with you, however if it's that simple why hasn't the relevant minister said straight out that the building is safe from any works associated with South Road? That's where I understand people's problem to rest. Not to mention, even if they don't bulldoze the theatre, if they build a lowered freeway through there they're going to require the neighbouring carpark which is the stage entry for trucks delivering band equipment.

Nort

#3887 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:46 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 pm
claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm
Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 pm
I'm really not understanding the hatred of the Thebby on here, it is a significant venue and a massive cultural contributor to this city. Of course there was going to be a response to any threat to it. If it's "a demolition that will never happen", then why can't the government just come straight out and rule it out? Adelaide has lost enough venues over time, and people sure as hell don't want to see this one added to the list.
Except for Mr Smith calling it an average building I don't think there has been negativity expressed about retaining Thebby. It's just that it is a non story- whipped up by a local rag. Thebarton theatre is not in the way of any of the proposed Motorway methods, and will not be bulldozed.
I agree with you, however if it's that simple why hasn't the relevant minister said straight out that the building is safe from any works associated with South Road? That's where I understand people's problem to rest. Not to mention, even if they don't bulldoze the theatre, if they build a lowered freeway through there they're going to require the neighbouring carpark which is the stage entry for trucks delivering band equipment.
Coming out and responding to situations like this can lead to many more difficulties (for example if they come out and say "Thebby is safe" it will then be interpreted to mean that any building they won't come out and say that about is at risk.

Also from a cynical standpoint, not saying anything now allows them to later come out with a plan that preserves it, saying that it has been put together listening to community feedback even if it would have never required the loss of the Thebby.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3888 Post by HiTouch » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am

It would be political suicide to knock down the thebby. Everybody loves that theatre (apart from maybe a couple of people on this forum).

Btw, I signed and the petition has hit 50,000!!! I saved thebby theatre.

http://chng.it/rmCzbsQjDj

I think it’s important to realise that the petition isn’t an “Adelaide thing” as people who have lived anywhere else would have an idea that Australian people generally don’t trust governments and bureaucrats. They hate it when governments get involved in things (even if they understand it’s necessary) so they’ll rush to protect anything of value.

SBD

#3889 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm

I think it is significant that the State Opposition are only saying "no", but not standing up with their solution that would deliver the road they promised and not destroy any of the heritage-listed buildings.

My guess is that Labor deliberately left the "hard bits" until last and hoped it would be in opposition (Malinauskas, Koutsantonis) or retired (Weatherill) by the time the public woke up to the fact that the preparation work was not being done when it should have been.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3890 Post by how good is he » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm

I think both parties committed to finishing the North-South corridor in their previous election campaigns. I also remember reading the cost of tbm [tunnel boring machines] have come down significantly that made tunnelling a possible and now a more viable option here. I personally think that all the heritage buildings will be saved but whether they can deliver it within the $5.4 billion budget for the final 10.5kms will be the challenge/interesting part. I think the scoping report and final decision is due by the end of the year.

claybro

#3891 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am
It would be political suicide to knock down the thebby. Everybody loves that theatre (apart from maybe a couple of people on this forum).

So 50000 people, including you have been sucked in by sensational reporting of a non issue?...Go figure.
And by the way, I LOVE Thebby theatre and have been there many times.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3892 Post by kymbosa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:09 pm

I was unable to get a picture tonight on my way home, the southern end of the South Road Darlington project I had changed over the day.

More lines have been painted on the lower section, and the cement barriers at this point have been removed.

Lower sections looks like two lanes heading north and two lanes heading south opening soon.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3893 Post by rev » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm

how good is he wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm
I think both parties committed to finishing the North-South corridor in their previous election campaigns. I also remember reading the cost of tbm [tunnel boring machines] have come down significantly that made tunnelling a possible and now a more viable option here. I personally think that all the heritage buildings will be saved but whether they can deliver it within the $5.4 billion budget for the final 10.5kms will be the challenge/interesting part. I think the scoping report and final decision is due by the end of the year.
Ground level motorway from the south end of T2T up to the brickworks then entering tunnels up to Anzac Highway, coming back up to a ground level motorway till a widened Emerson overpass, and finally continuing on as a trench to the Darlington trench.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3894 Post by how good is he » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Ok so is that based on fact/inside info. or just on what you predict?

claybro

#3895 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm
how good is he wrote:
Ground level motorway from the south end of T2T up to the brickworks then entering tunnels up to Anzac Highway, coming back up to a ground level motorway till a widened Emerson overpass, and finally continuing on as a trench to the Darlington trench.
What is the need for a tunnel between SBD and Anzac Hwy? there is nothing of significance along there that requires protecting, and land acquisition/ trenching is still cheaper than tunnelling.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3896 Post by HiTouch » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:47 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am

So 50000 people, including you have been sucked in by sensational reporting of a non issue?...Go figure.
And by the way, I LOVE Thebby theatre and have been there many times.
It may be a non issue at the moment but it’s close enough for people to be concerned and be clear with what they approve and disapprove of. If you read the petition description, people aren’t against the north south motorway, they see it as necessary, but they simply are petitioning for a method that won’t affect thebby theatre. No harm in it. In fact it’s bringing attention to the north south freeway need and the option for a tunnel which is probably a good thing.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3897 Post by rev » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 am

how good is he wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:10 pm
Ok so is that based on fact/inside info. or just on what you predict?
Road level motorway between t2t and brickworks..theres the river so not much else could be done except elevated which wouldnt be safe for trucks. Tunnel from there till anzac hwy due to heritage buildings..there wont be mass civil unrest like some think but it will hurt the government if they bulldoze it all. And the rest is mostly industrial/non-residential so a trench connecting with darlington.

Just my opinion.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#3898 Post by Spotto » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:35 am

rev wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm
how good is he wrote:
I can’t speak for the northern half, but there’s a good number of large established businesses between Emerson Crossing and Tonsley. Not thinking so much of little stores that are easier to push people out, more like commercially significant sites of Castle Plaza, the brand new Bunnings, Melrose Park shopping plaza, and two schools. Might as well throw in Avoca Hotel and The Maid of Auckland too. These larger sites would probably have more negotiating power than the other little shops lining the road.

Regards of the solution chosen, Gallipoli Underpass would be ideal to feed into a ground level motorway until a reconfigured Emerson Crossing that lowers the railway. Whether they do a tunnel or trench from that point who knows?

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3899 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:30 am

Surely no one expects the rest of south road to be done in one single project? Surely it will be broken down into smaller, more manageable pieces?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

ChillyPhilly

#3900 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 am

Hooligan wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:30 am
Surely no one expects the rest of south road to be done in one single project? Surely it will be broken down into smaller, more manageable pieces?
This was the Labor plan, at least. Firstly for the reason you list, but also that it created ongoing jobs to have separate projects over a longer timeframe.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.