[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2776 Post by Brucetiki » Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am
Grungle wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 am
Brucetiki wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:28 am
Wonder if the Bolivar OTR will have a relatively simple connection to the Northern Connector?

It doesn't look particularly simple. There may be a right turn into OTR after the roundabout if you're heading south on the Northern Connector, but northbound traffic would be harder.
That's an area I was wondering about, but despite the complexity they have introduced, it still looks like it would be pretty tight turns for a B-double or bigger, turning across accelerating traffic, and completely out-of-the-way for northbound.

Service centres usually have long deceleration and acceleration lanes, and are often built on a hill to help that. They also need plenty of space for parking trucks and caravans as well as cars. There is no space between Darlington and Wingfield that I can see, and if there was, it would involve more city traffic than just pull off and pull on to the highway again.

There's a truck parking area between Daveyston and Sheaoak Log southbound, but I don't think it even has a toilet shelter, just a picnic table with a roof for caravanners to eat their sandwich and drink tea from their thermos. The first place on the highway to offer any real services is Truro.

Port Wakefield Road is better served with Lower Light, Dublin and Port Wakefield offering services.
Don't suppose OTR (or anyone else for that matter) are planning a duplicate site for the other side? Similar to what you see on the Ring Rd in Melbourne or the Caboolutre centres on the Bruce Highway.

Grungle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2777 Post by Grungle » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 am
after another death at that intersection and the RAA starting to ask questions I'm starting to think there might be a redesign coming
The incident last week only resulted in a ute rolling onto it's side with no injuries, but that's only due to the quick reactions of the driver. It was only 6 or 7 months ago that there was a double fatality, caused by the same thing. It's shown at the end of this video:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/dramatic-dash ... 55617.html

As someone that uses that intersection multiple times a day I can confirm it's a nightmare - it's only a matter of time before there's another one, especially given the amount of traffic through there recently. Volumes will drop off once the connector is done, but it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2778 Post by Goodsy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Grungle wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 am
after another death at that intersection and the RAA starting to ask questions I'm starting to think there might be a redesign coming
The incident last week only resulted in a ute rolling onto it's side with no injuries, but that's only due to the quick reactions of the driver. It was only 6 or 7 months ago that there was a double fatality, caused by the same thing. It's shown at the end of this video:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/dramatic-dash ... 55617.html

As someone that uses that intersection multiple times a day I can confirm it's a nightmare - it's only a matter of time before there's another one, especially given the amount of traffic through there recently. Volumes will drop off once the connector is done, but it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Oh right.. not sure why i assumed it was fatal

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#2779 Post by Furyan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Anyone know the barrier type/size they will use to separate the North and South bound traffic? I know it will comply but it kinda looks tight for the 6 lanes [dual 3 lanes] added with a dividing barrier.
One half of the T2T lowered motorway will consist of two 3.5m outside lanes and one 3.2m inside lane, with 1m outside and 0.5m inside buffers. The barrier will be 0.6m of presumably concrete.

The design of the walls will have concrete panels installed over the shotcrete to provide an architectural feature that I presume would be consistent with the Gallipoli Underpass.

Source T2T Alliance Construction update newsletter July 2017

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#2780 Post by Mr Smith » Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Furyan wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm
how good is he wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Anyone know the barrier type/size they will use to separate the North and South bound traffic? I know it will comply but it kinda looks tight for the 6 lanes [dual 3 lanes] added with a dividing barrier.
One half of the T2T lowered motorway will consist of two 3.5m outside lanes and one 3.2m inside lane, with 1m outside and 0.5m inside buffers. The barrier will be 0.6m of presumably concrete.

The design of the walls will have concrete panels installed over the shotcrete to provide an architectural feature that I presume would be consistent with the Gallipoli Underpass.

Source T2T Alliance Construction update newsletter July 2017
Re the information concerning lane widths for T2T - assuming those lane widths are consistent throughout the project, has anyone been able to determine whether (or not) Gallipoli underpass is wide enough for 6 lanes?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2781 Post by claybro » Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm
Re the information concerning lane widths for T2T - assuming those lane widths are consistent throughout the project, has anyone been able to determine whether (or not) Gallipoli underpass is wide enough for 6 lanes?
This has come up before, and yes...minus any bike lanes/ emergency lanes and a reconfiguration of the wide median strip it will be possible. just.

ChillyPhilly

#2782 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 am

claybro wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm
This has come up before, and yes...minus any bike lanes/ emergency lanes and a reconfiguration of the wide median strip it will be possible. just.
I dare say when the time comes, the cut will be widened to the west, and maybe also a little to the east - there's some disused land to the west, north of the vet and as far as the Tennyson Centre.
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2783 Post by Eurostar » Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Appears to be new pedestrian lights on south west corner of Main South Road/Ayliffes Road junction

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#2784 Post by mawsonguy » Fri May 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Given that the ultimate plan, when the Regency Rd to Pym St section is built, is to only allow left turns into and out of Pym St, why don't they bite the bullet and implement that now. There's plenty of room on the Western side to put in filter lanes. It would eliminate a set of traffic lights now instead of waiting until 2020.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2785 Post by Norman » Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 pm

mawsonguy wrote:Given that the ultimate plan, when the Regency Rd to Pym St section is built, is to only allow left turns into and out of Pym St, why don't they bite the bullet and implement that now. There's plenty of room on the Western side to put in filter lanes. It would eliminate a set of traffic lights now instead of waiting until 2020.
That's because the current Pym to Recency plan is not the final plan. There will be a lot of community consultation, traffic studies and detailed design work before that change is set in stone.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2786 Post by how good is he » Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Mawsonguys point is correct - they won’t be having traffic lights and an intersection at Pym St stopping traffic regardless - whether it’s the first plan or the final plan. They are not keeping the lights here no matter what happens. So why not get on with it, is his other point.

SBD

#2787 Post by SBD » Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 pm
Mawsonguys point is correct - they won’t be having traffic lights and an intersection at Pym St stopping traffic regardless - whether it’s the first plan or the final plan. They are not keeping the lights here no matter what happens. So why not get on with it, is his other point.
The current stated intent is to maintain pedestrian and cycling access across the corridor near Pym Street. That means there will be a bridge of some kind, and community engagement and detailed design cost savings mean there is at least a chance that the bridge will be made wide and heavy enough to continue to allow cars and trucks to cross as well.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2788 Post by rev » Sat May 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Torrens Road on either side of the bridge has been or is being redone. Last weekend the did the eastern side, this weekend they are doing the western side.
Looks like it'll be the final alignment, with a few more layers of bitumen to be laid later on for the final finish.

ChillyPhilly

#2789 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 pm
Don't suppose OTR (or anyone else for that matter) are planning a duplicate site for the other side? Similar to what you see on the Ring Rd in Melbourne or the Caboolutre centres on the Bruce Highway.
The one on Bolivar Road will be accessible to northbound traffic, so there's no need for a duplicate to the larger, Krispy Kreme one.

---

Back on the topic of the Gallipoli Underpass briefly, when the time comes to upgrade it, there's a lot of land that can be used to widen the cut. Three properties will need to be altered or required (vet at the bottom, dwelling further up, and the Tennyson Centre carpark at the top).

Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#2790 Post by aceman » Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm

I agree, the western side of the Gallipoli underpass could be acquired without too many issues. there's not a lot there in comparison to other sections. I'm referring to both the northern and southern side of Anzac highway.