[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1711 Post by Pistol » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Am wondering whether the Coopers Brewery old 3 hole golf course is for future expansion or due to an easement?
Nice Chilly, would assume it would be a considerable interchange - this intersection is surprisingly busy taking a large volume of heavy traffic.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1712 Post by rev » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:07 am

fifty wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote: T2T spans from the Torrens to Pym Street. It's all one project.
Since when? Last announcement was the extension northwards to Pym St. I hadn't heard they had stretched it all the way to, and including, Torrens Rd intersection.
The "trench" will pass under Torrens road now. Prior to the last announcement it would come back to surface level BEFORE Torrens road.

Pym street will be affected because they'll have to do some upgrades all the way up to and including that intersection.

The next stage will be between where the Trench comes up to the surface and the Regency Road intersection. Take note of the fact that up to Regency road it's basically wide enough/enough lanes to cope with the Superway already(obviously). You heard it here first btw.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1713 Post by how good is he » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Rev, will the next stage incorporate the actual underpass/overpass over Regency road or only the road until it gets there? Obviously it will no real benefit until the intersection is addressed and the big money is spent.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1714 Post by Goodsy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:02 pm

just as a refresher, this is the T2T extension

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... et_map.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_SMN6G8xB8

should we even be calling it torrens to torrens? considering it's Pym to Torrens now

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1715 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Torrens to Just Past Torrens?

T2JPT?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1716 Post by how good is he » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:13 am

It will be ridiculous if they don't get rid of the traffic lights at Pym St & make it left turn only (both sides). After they do the Regency Rd intersection the stretch remaining will be about 20km - Torrensville to Tonsley (T3T?). Anyone know what will be the overall length of the completed non stop freeway then? Think its approx. 60-80km?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1717 Post by Goodsy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:38 am

how good is he wrote:It will be ridiculous if they don't get rid of the traffic lights at Pym St & make it left turn only (both sides). After they do the Regency Rd intersection the stretch remaining will be about 20km - Torrensville to Tonsley (T3T?). Anyone know what will be the overall length of the completed non stop freeway then? Think its approx. 60-80km?
Aprx. 107km from Nuriootpa to Noarlunga on the route

rev

#1718 Post by rev » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 pm

how good is he wrote:Rev, will the next stage incorporate the actual underpass/overpass over Regency road or only the road until it gets there? Obviously it will no real benefit until the intersection is addressed and the big money is spent.
I don't know. I'm just making an assumption based on how small that stretch is and how cheaper it will be to do compared to the major stretch remaining between Darlington and T2T, because you'll essentially be going from motorway to regular road to motorway in a short distance, compared to the major stretch south.

But considering it's a residential area I'd say the chances of an over pass or elevated road way like the Superway are slim to none.
Regency road it self isn't exactly a major route, it's only busy in morning and afternoon peak hours. The rest of the day a battalion of blind people with walking frames could cross the road without a worry.

I'd take a guess and say the properties on the eastern side near Regency road will be the ones bought up and demolished. I doubt they'd buy up the car parks in front of the large businesses/warehouses there, and build a motorway..that would kill those businesses.
They wont touch Polonia reserve and switch back to properties on the western side and that would continue all the way past Pym street to meet up with the trench.

It will be interesting to see though once they do complete T2T and eventually start work on that small section through Croydon, how they'll do it especially if the trench is continued.
Because as we know there's not going to be any on/off ramps at Torrens Road, so would they shut down a quarter of the T2T trench?

Anyway we are getting ahead of our selves by a few years :)

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#1719 Post by Bacon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm

I note thant in the pre-extension design of t2t that the end of the trench split into a "V" to align with the respective surface roads, allowing room to extend. The Pym st end doesn't appear to have any provision to extend the trench.

rev

#1720 Post by rev » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:47 pm

how good is he wrote:Looks good. Good to see no resumption of homes/buildings to make it an easier process. So land used is from (govt) TAFE on the left and Coopers on the right which would/should have a dept transport easement to stop any future building l assume. If so, could be built in 12 months.
If you have a look at Google Maps/Earth, you'll see that similar work to T2T wont fit within the boundaries of that section of South Road.
The government may well use part of the Tafe grounds/car park to realign that area of South Road/Regency Road, but there's currently construction work going on at Coopers on the Regency Road boundary. It doesn't come all the way up to the intersection, but it's a fair whack of the land and would make realigning the road northwards difficult as shown in that users mock up.

rev

#1721 Post by rev » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Bacon wrote:I note thant in the pre-extension design of t2t that the end of the trench split into a "V" to align with the respective surface roads, allowing room to extend. The Pym st end doesn't appear to have any provision to extend the trench.

I'm no civil engineer, but I reckon if they wanted to continue the trench past that point above, they could.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1722 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:05 pm

Again, refering back to the planning document which outlines the basic strategy for the corridor, it states that the end of each stage will return to grade, with the following stage begining from that level. This is in an effort to reduce the amount of road that will need to be rebuilt or modified.

The superway is elevated, however returns to grade before Regency Rd.
T2T is lowered but returns to grade at either end. The same applies more or less at Darlington too.

In regard to the Torrens Rd to Regency section, I think the following may occur.
- Expressway underpass under Torrens, South Rd intersection with Torrens Rd at grade. (To be built in current T2T plans)
- Expressway returns to grade between Torrens and Pym. End of T2T project.
- Expressway remains at grade crossing Pym. Underpass built to allow through traffic along Pym under Expressway. I expect this way look something like the Bakewell underpass, albeit on a smaller scale. (Expressway = rail, Pym= Henley, South = JCD)
- North of Pym, Expressway is lowered below grade, South Rd remains at grade.
-Expressway goes under Regency, before returning to grade to connect with Superway.
- South road surface road continues as seperate road, connecting with surface road under Superway.

However, knowing DPTI and what they can be like, anything could be possible..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1723 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:33 pm

I know this has to proceed, section by section as funding allows... But I find it inconceivable at this late stage in the developement of this whole corridor, that a detailed design is not sitting somewhere on someone's desk. That being the case, release it already so all players know what is going on. For an expressway to keep changing grades every couple of kilometres is ridiculous, given trucks need noisy and costly acceleration and deceleration on gradients. If no such comprehensive design exists already, then it demonstrates complete incompetence in forward planning, and lends itself for the mess of grade changining that seems to be planned in joining the sections together.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1724 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:05 pm

As far as I'm aware the reason the grade changes is because of different environmental factors in different areas. In places like Wingfield having a lowered freeway is too costly because of soil contamination. Because it is all industrial, visual amenity factors don't come into play. In other areas like Croydon it is built lowered for visual amenity for the residential areas.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1725 Post by bits » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:18 pm

There is a publically released plan that has been linked a bunch of times.

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/nsc ... y_strategy
http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... rategy.pdf

Regency Road crossing is to be an elevated road/superway.
I do not see any reason for why this would have changed.
Last edited by bits on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.